PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood in Dallas?

Matt Schuman
10-23-2008, 1:27 PM
I searched thru the forum on buying lumber in the Dallas metro. Looks like there's been some flux in suppliers in the last few years and months. What's the favorite pick right now for rough cut native hardwoods?

Joe Fenwick
10-23-2008, 1:36 PM
I have used Hogan Hardwoods in Grand Prairie

(972) 602-1777

Jim O'Dell
10-23-2008, 3:58 PM
My understanding is that Hogan Hardwoods is gone. A fellow Creeker told me about Brazos Hardwoods, and it sounds like they may have taken over Hogan's location. I think some of the Hogan stores were bought out by Austin Hardwoods, but they aren't here in the metroplex. Go to toolseeker.com and on the lower left is a link for wood sources. You can get it by state, and shows what is available by city. There have been some discussions here about some other stores in Dallas, one of which is by TI on Hwy 75, but I don't know the name of it. Jim.

Matt Benton
10-23-2008, 4:35 PM
Yes, Brazos is now in GP, half a mile east of 360.

I would strongly recommend these guys, near the corner of Royal and Luna:

http://www.bluelinxhardwoods.com/BlueLinxHardwoods_home.aspx

Got some 5/4 Ash from them for @ 2.50 a bf. Not a lot of exotic stuff, but great selection of walnut, maple, ash, etc...

Joe Fenwick
10-23-2008, 4:46 PM
Sorry my invoice does say Brazos Hardwoods. Very good people and good selection.

Mike Forsman
10-23-2008, 5:55 PM
I have used BlueLinx (previously Austin Hardwoods) in Dallas for quite a few hardwood purchases. In fact, I purchase almost all of my hardwood lumber there.

Texas Wood World (located behind the big TI plant at 75 and 635 also hardwood. If you haven't been there in the past year or so, they are worth checking out. They changed ownership and are now stocking quite a bit more than they were under the previous ownership. http://woodworldtx.com/

Steve Jenkins
10-23-2008, 6:31 PM
I'll second Blue Lynx hardwoods although there have been some personnel changes lately and the jury is still out on how or if things will change. They have about the best selection of exotics in the area as far as I know. If anyone knows of a better place for exotics I'd like to know about it.

Charlie Plesums
10-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Austin Hardowoods was started in Austin, and ultimately had 4 stores in Texas owned by the original owner. He also sold franchises, so there are other Austin Hardwoods stores around the country, but those stores are now independent. The original owner retired about a year ago and sold his four stores to BlueLinx. In Austin the change was good... bigger facilities, improved inventory, but recently the old staff has been bailing out like a sinking ship. I don't know if that is a local problem or a BlueLinx problem, but I am worried... they have been my favorite supplier until recently.

Hogan (who bought the Paxton chain) sold out to Brazos Forest Products, a division of Baillie Lumber Co. While they were Hogan, the Austin store messed up my orders and billing a couple times, and when they became Brazos they closed down the retail displays of exotic woods, so I don't deal with them in Austin.

When I was talking to a woodworking shop in Frisco, they mentioned a good supplier in Dallas (not BlueLinx or Brazos) - if I remember or can find my notes, I will add it to this post.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-24-2008, 7:55 AM
Wow, I had no idea all these places changed hands lately. Glad to hear about Wood World turning around. If you are after exotics with figure, Curly Woods in McKinney is my favorite for the nicest grain patterns and great prices, then came Austin Hardwoods for the best selection [Blue Lynx now I guess]....never seen a better stocked warehouse yet and I been lookin' for years.

For domestic hardwoods, try out Barney Robinson's Hardwoods in East FW. They are off 30 and Beach Street [about a block or so south]. Last check was $1.99 BF on Red Oak [straight line ripped & s2s iirc]. Well worth the drive for me. In fact, next week I will be making a huge run for an entire kitchen's worth of Red Oak plywood and Red Oak 1x's.

Barney's caters to the little guys like me and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. No one beats his prices that I know of and the stock is always very good.

Matt Benton
10-24-2008, 9:02 AM
Steve,

I think you'll find a better selection of exotics at Brazos in Grand Prairie than at Bluelinx...

Mike Forsman
10-24-2008, 2:19 PM
Last time I heard, Curly Woods in McKinney had gone out of business. They web site does not work any more either.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-24-2008, 5:04 PM
Wow...that is bad news and I am very sorry to hear that. That was my favorite place to shop for wood.

Jim O'Dell
10-24-2008, 7:02 PM
Yeah, and I never made it over to Curly Woods. I was saving that trip for when I do the kitchen here. I'll want some figured wood for the doors. I'll be asking where to get some nice stuff for the doors in a few years. Jim.

Charlie Plesums
10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Curly Woods closed June 30, 2007. It was a sad loss. I hope Mike Mastin landed on his feet - he was a great guy.