PDA

View Full Version : vector harley

Don Necaise
10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Would anyone happen to have a Harley Davidson Motorcycle vector cut ou they are willing to share? Any help is appreciated so much,

Joe Hayes
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
www.brandsoftheworld.com has it.

Darryl Hazen
10-23-2008, 3:23 PM
Suggest you read the info on the attached link. Brands of the World may have the artwork but if you do not have written permission from H-D you could find yourself in a lawsuit you can't win. Most companies have a team of legal beagles whose only job is to check for infringements.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp

Skip Weiser
10-23-2008, 3:27 PM
The way I read Don's post, he wanted a Harley motorcycle vector, not the logo.

If that's the case, would that fall under the same copyright deal as their logo?

Skip

Ross Lowry
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
You can use the bar and shield, but you cannot put the harley info inside of it.

Stanley Waldrup
10-24-2008, 8:48 PM
But can you make lets say a motorcycle vectored ornament that looks like the Harley with out the logo on it?

Troy Cooper
10-24-2008, 11:20 PM
About a year ago I was working on an engraving deal with one of the largest HD dealerships in the US to do gift plaques for the dealership's customers. Their idea was to take a photograph of each model they sold and engrave the photo of the same model as the customer purchased onto a plaque along with some text saying "Custom Made For Bill Smith" with the specific model name and VIN number of the motorcycle they purchased.

In order to stay out of the licensing mess we decided just to do a black plaque with some orange design elements and white text to give it the HD look without using the HD logo or even the name. We could not even put the name of the dealer on the plaque as HD owns the dealer names as well.

We thought all was good until a sample we did was seen by someone from HD corporate who happened to be at the dealership conducting some business. We quickly got a lesson from them about just how far their trademark and copyright reach goes. We were informed by the HD legal department that HD even owns the rights to any photograph of one of their motorcycles including something as simple as a black and white silhouette that contains no details. We were told that if you can tell it's a HD from the graphic or even silhouette that it's infringement.

We were informed that the only way we could legally proceed was to individually photograph each customer's particular motorcyle which we could then use on a single plaque for that particular customer. We could not reproduce that same photo for any other purpose than for that specific customer.

Well, as you can imagine that just wouldn't be feasible and we had to write off over three months of work that we had put into pursing that opprortunity.

A difficult lesson learned even though we never went anywhere near the HD name or logo. Just thought some of you might find our experience interesting... :confused: I sure wish my brand was that tight!

Frank Corker
10-25-2008, 7:45 AM
My personal feelings are that Harley Davidson are a bunch of idiots. Free advertising is free advertising. Some companies would pay the earth for it. They are so frightened of people making something that they can make money out of has made them paranoid beyond belief. In my opinion, of which I am entitled to have, I think it's greed pure and simple.

PS: I wouldn't mind, but they actually aren't as good as Honda so add delusional to pure and simple to my opinion,of which I am entitled to have.

Max Green
10-25-2008, 10:47 AM
what about a gift to someone, is this something that is troublesome?

Thanks
max

Jack Harper
10-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Harley has gone so far as to try to patent and/or copyright the actual sound of a Harley engine. Fortunately, they loss this one, but not for the lack of trying.

Nick Napier
10-25-2008, 7:03 PM
Hello, Send me your e-mail and I will send you a motorcycle that might work nicely for you. It doesn't say Harley anywhere but you can decide if you can use it.

Nick Napier

woodworknick@yahoo.com

Randy Zyduck
10-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi, I also have a couple i drew myself that you my like very much!! Send me your email.

engraveit@verizon.net