PDA

View Full Version : Anodized Titanium

Dave Johnson29
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi people,

I did a search here but came up blank for "Titanium" and "anodized"

A friend makes jewelry from Titanium then has it anodized colors. He has asked if it is possible to laser his logo on to them.

Is the Titanium anodizing laser-able with a 25W CO2?

Thanks.

Gary Hair
10-23-2008, 2:07 PM
I don't know about anodized titanium, but I have lasered using Cermark with a 30 watt laser and it came out perfect.

Ask your friend for a sample piece and test it out.

Gary

Dave Johnson29
10-23-2008, 2:23 PM
I have lasered using Cermark with a 30 watt laser and it came out perfect.

Thanks, but he wants them directly marked if possible. Since anodized aluminum is doable, he is hoping Titanium is too as he likes the white marking of aluminum.

He is going to get some samples anodized for me to play with in next batch that goes to the anodizer but that will be weeks away.

Tor Amundson
10-23-2008, 8:12 PM
I don't have any anodized titanium to try, but if it helps any, I do mark direct on plain titanium with a 60W system. It oxidizes nicely, giving anywhere from a gentle brown to a light teal to a robust blue, depending on how slow you go.

If you can punch through the anodizing (as is done on aluminum) then the effects should be similar, giving various color tones depending on how much power you let the material soak up.

If you don't want the colors, you'd have to be careful about your oxygen content and as such use air-assist with a neutral gas (argon or nitrogen).

Andy Wingfield
10-24-2008, 9:08 AM
Hi Dave,

You should be able to engrave the anodized coating on theTitanium with your 25 watt laser. If the anodization is really a hard coating you may need to really lower your speed.

Regards,

Andy Wingfield
Wanlaser

Dave Johnson29
10-24-2008, 5:53 PM
You should be able to engrave the anodized coating on theTitanium with your 25 watt laser.

Thanks Andy and Tor, I will give it a try then.

Andy Wingfield
10-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi David,

If you have questions in regards to metal laser applications the best source, I know for information is Gary at Shertec.

Regards,

Andy Wingfield
Wanlaser