PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-23-2008, 9:40 AM
The stuff is sticky tacky gluey and adhesive. (was that Redundant?)

I used beeswax to make wax-compound extrusions shrink a tad after exiting the extrusion-dies.

I use beeswax to keep the laces of my dress shoes from unraveling and it works great because it is tacky stuff.

Beeswax is also slightly acidic being an organic wax and will retain some moisture.

So how come people use it on metal surfaces~? Is this perhaps a compound of paraffin and beeswax~?

An inquiring mind wants to know.

Don C Peterson
10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I've used it on planes, hand saws, the table saw and band saw for several years. It also happens to be one of my favorite finishes; tung oil followed with a coat of beeswax. I just keep a container of beeswax dissolved in mineral spirits around and use it on just about everything in the shop...

If it retains water, I've never noticed any sort of damage. It does feel stickier than paraffin but when it's applied and lightly buffed, the surfaces seem just as "glidey" as when I use paraffin or Boeshield.

The stuff I use is pure 100% beeswax. I used to buy the chunks of refined beeswax at Woodcraft, but then I found a beekeeper that sells it direct. At first I was concerned that it wasn't as highly refined, but after a few small experiments, I can't tell any difference except it has a nicer smell (and it's cheaper).

glenn bradley
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I use beeswax in finishes, paraffin on metal surfaces.