PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Colin Wollerman
10-23-2008, 3:48 AM
I have been keeping an eye out for a bench grinder for my newbie turning tools.
Woodcraft sales flyer has a grinderhttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605&ProductID=144290
For $88
Is this a good tool for what I need?
Thanks,
Colin

Don Eddard
10-23-2008, 6:40 AM
Yup, that's the one a lot of us have and recommend.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2008, 8:54 AM
Colin - I use that grinder in combination with the Wolverine sharpening system and it works great!

robert hainstock
10-23-2008, 9:02 AM
Me too, except I use the psi ginder attachment. It also works great. By the way, welcome. :)
Bob

John Nowack
10-23-2008, 9:14 AM
got it--liked the price---does the job

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2008, 9:26 AM
Colin,

That is the grinder I and a lot of others use.

There have been a few quality control issues with that grinder but a large percentage of us owners are satisfied with it.

Kim Ford
10-23-2008, 9:43 AM
Collin,

Thats the grinder I use with the Sorby bowl gouge jig. It has been a good unit. Make sure you get a wheel dresser and keep the grindstone true.

Have Fun

Daniel Heine
10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Colin,

You might want nto spend a few extra dollars and pop for this Tormek clone:
http://grizzly.com/products/10-Wet-Grinder-Kit/T10010

I have this machine, and love it. It accepts all of the Tormek and Jet jigs, so you will need to buy a couple of jigs to get your tools really sharp, but they are not that expensive to buy one at a time.

The big advantage for this sytem is that it is not dedicated solely to sharpening wood turning tools. With the right jig, you can sharpen almost anything. Tell your wife you will sharpen her scissors and kitchen knives if she will give you the money for this tool!!!!

Good Luck,
Dan

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Yep I and a lot of us as you have seen so far have it and it works well. I also have a Tormek and love it. The LOML loves it to because her scissors and kitchen knives now stay sharp along with my turning tools.

Colin Wollerman
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Great! Thanks for all the replies. I will try and get some "first project" pics up ASAP.

Colin

Christopher Fletcher
10-23-2008, 1:30 PM
Colin,
I looked at that grinder a while back. I don't have a WC near me, so the shipping price was a factor. I went to my local Blue BORG and picked up a 8" Delta VS grinder for about $105 + tax - free of shipping charges and wait time. Either grinder would be fine I think.

Colin Wollerman
10-23-2008, 1:50 PM
Chris,
I am in Hawaii so Shipping is almost ALWAYS a factor
The good thing is we have a local WC:) BORG an option too.

I also get good deals from grainger (dayton) via work.
Thanks,
C

Colin Wollerman
10-23-2008, 1:53 PM
"she will give you the money for this tool!!!! "

Yeeaa....not my wife.:D

RL Johnson
10-23-2008, 7:54 PM
That is the same one that I have. The only issue that I had was how hard the wheels are, so I went and recently added the Norton 3X wheel. WOW, what a world of difference. I say go for it.

Acharya Kumarswami
03-23-2018, 12:09 AM
I have one of those grinders and need to find a replacement for the capacitor, which blew out a while back.
Trouble is, I don't have the specs for the capacitor because the burnout effaced the markings.
Does anyone with one of these grinder know the capacitor specs or know of an equivalent part to get this machine working again?
This is what we do know:
8' Bench Grinder w/(2) 8" Wheels Installed Slow Speed 1725 RPM, Model #144290
3/4 HP, 4.5AMP , 120VAC Induction Motor (no brand name)

Thank you all

Brice Rogers
03-23-2018, 12:21 AM
I have one of those grinders and need to find a replacement for the capacitor, which blew out a while back.
Trouble is, I don't have the specs for the capacitor because the burnout effaced the markings.
Does anyone with one of these grinder know the capacitor specs or know of an equivalent part to get this machine working again?
This is what we do know:
8' Bench Grinder w/(2) 8" Wheels Installed Slow Speed 1725 RPM, Model #144290
3/4 HP, 4.5AMP , 120VAC Induction Motor (no brand name)

Thank you all
I googled this: https://inspectapedia.com/electric/Motor_Capacitor_Selection.php and it gives guidelines for selecting a capacitor. Alternatively, check some supplier like Grizzly and find another 3/4 HP AC grinder and check the parts list.