PDA

View Full Version : Handy power tool review

Rick Potter
10-23-2008, 2:25 AM
For years I bought and sold woodworking machines. I would find good ones at estate sales etc., and resell them, so I could get the machines I wanted.

One of the big problems with doing this was getting them on and off my pickup. I usually got a friend to help me and we would wrestle them around.

The final straw was when I bought that new Woodmaster 36" drum sander I always wanted. I had to pick it up at a trucking company warehouse, and get it off the truck at home (1100#). I borrowed an old chain hoist from a buddy and strung it up on an oak tree. To make the story short, the hoist bound up and wouldn't work right after I lifted it out of the truck. There I was with the sander dangling 3' off the ground.

A panic call to a buddy, and we worked several hours using cribbing and tiedown straps to lower it a couple inches at a time. NEVER AGAIN.

Harbor Freight had a sale on power hoists...lifts 1400#, for only $124.

I attached it to a 6 X 14 beam in my garage, and waited a year to use it. Well, yesterday I sold a Buick 403 motor with the 350 trans attached. Told the buyer to bring several friends and a LOW trailer. Instead, he comes alone with a rented F150 and a cherry picker. We managed to get the motor on a mobile base I have, rolled it into the garage and hooked it to the hoist.

Now, I am a bit concerned about HF and their weight claims, but that sucker lifted it right up without a complaint. We backed the truck under it, and away it went.

All those years of trying to lift machines. This baby will handle a cabinet saw without breathing hard. Today, I pulled off my 5Th wheel hitch in one unit like childs play.

I estimate the motor and trans weighed about 800# at least (fully equipped), so I would highly recommend it for anyone who has a place to mount one, and needs a way to unload equipment.

Rick Potter

Steve Kohn
10-23-2008, 9:33 AM
Pictures please. Both the hoist and how the beam is suspended in the shop.

jason lambert
10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I have a HF 3000 lb winch attaceh in my trailer and ramps I use to pull machines off and on. It's a real back saver.

Ed Kilburn
10-23-2008, 1:14 PM
I have the same hoist, and use it to move machines, lumber, and finish projects between the 1st and 2nd floor of my shop. The only drawback is it will overheat when over worked. (I need to run out 20’ of cable on each lift). It has a thermo overload that resets when it cools down. I can feel your pain when your chain hoist failed. I felt the same with my brand new Grizzly G 0514X2 bandsaw hanging between floors. I had lifted a few smaller items first, warmed it up, and then lifted the bandsaw. I now have the #800 one also, so I can use on and let the other cool down.