PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, First Post GLOAT???

Jon Prouty
10-23-2008, 1:05 AM
Evening all... been lurking for a while as I dream of putting my shop together. I have had the urge to start doing some wood turning for a while now and was not able to take the plunge. With work stress building, my beautiful wife suggested that I really should take that pen turning class at W.C. that I have talked about for a long time. Well... I have to say, that the first time the gouge touched the wood I was hooked. It had this Zen feeling and I was able to relax immediately.

Now I wanted a JET VS mini lathe... then I wanted the Steel City Lathe as it was cheaper and had good reviews. My local W.C. did not have the S.C VS model I wanted and it would take a couple weeks to get it in. (thank goodness they did not have it... GLOAT coming). I have been watching Craigslist for a while now and refreshing the tool section many times a day, just waiting for one of those deals that everyone seems to find except me.

Sunday was my first score... a floor standing drill press (for drilling pen blanks of course). Not exactly a jewel, but will serve my immediate needs nicely. C.L. seller wanted $100, I took it for $75. (GLOAT #1) I did not have a dial indicator to check runout, but there was no visible wobble with the longest bit I had. Got it home and back to C.L.

Tuesday night a Craftsman VS wood lathe showed up on the list. Called the guy immediately and picked it up this afternoon (had to drive 80 miles round trip on my lunch break... took a longish lunch). I know it is not a JET or other super duper machine but it appears a much better deal than I could have gotten on a new mini lathe. Stand (pretty well built for a home built), 4 jaw chuck, a bunch of cheap lathe tools, and manuals all included. okay... okay... "so Jon, How Much?" C.L. seller listed it at $225, took it all home for (are you ready for this?) $180.

Finally, a lathe of my own! The stand will eventually be boxed in on the sides, bottom and back (along with some weight for stability). There is only one tiny little nick in the 12" rest and zero in the 6" rest. Neither look to have ever been touched up. This thing is cherry. The dead center is slightly discolored and drive center has little to no wear.

Seller bought it from his uncle's estate after his passing and he says he only used it a couple times. I have to say that was an exaggeration... I don't think this lathe has more than a couple hours total on it.

Gotta get to turning this weekend (going to start on some 2x2 sections from Home Depot (don't have a table saw yet, but I'm watching C.L. for one).

Gonna pick up the cheap Harbor Freight chisels and either the slow speed grinder from W.C or the Tormek clone from H.F. (that is dang cheap right now with the 15% off coupon as well). Oh well... decisions, decisions.

(pics should be attached, to prove it happened)

So... first post, first gloat. How'd I do? Think I'll fit in with you guys?

Later,
Jon

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 7:49 AM
Indeed, you will fit in well! Welcome to the 'Creek, Jon.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2008, 8:52 AM
Jon - Welcome to the Creek! Great gloat! Looks like you have everything to get started! BUT - understand that you just jumped into the vortex and the lists of tools/accessories is never ending! Have fun with it and be sure to post lots of pictures!

Ted Shrader
10-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Jon -

Will you fit in? You betcha!

Welcome to the Creek,
Ted

Bill Bolen
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome Jon! The more the merrier. Just go ahead and say goodbye to your wallett, free time. Once hooked always hooked...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Welcome Jon to SMC. Yep you will fit in just fine. I wouldn't say goodbye to your wallet just take a picture of the green stuff inside so you'll at least remember what it looks like.:eek::D The lathe is the cheap part. Congrats on your haul.

Von Bickley
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Jon,

Welcome to "The Creek".... and it looks like you did GOOD.....

Dave Halter
10-23-2008, 8:42 PM
Jon,
Congrats on the score. I started out very similiar by buying a Craftsman mono-tube lathe and some Freud carbon steel chisels. It sat in my shop hardly used for about 10 years. I had no idea what I was doing or how to get started then went to a pen turning demo and ended up buying the mandrels, etc to make some. The next thing you know I've got a Jet 1642 EVS and a bunch of tools. You may as well walk into the local woodoworking store, hand over your cash and sign over your credit cards.
One thing of note - I had one of the 4 jaw chucks that you have in your photo. I never liked using it as it didn't hold very well.

Dave

David Drickhamer
10-23-2008, 8:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jon. Great gloat.
I have just one comment to make......
YOUR SHOP IS TOO CLEAN....START MAKING STUFF
Hint, wood shaving make a great floor mat.
:D

Jon Prouty
10-23-2008, 9:31 PM
Hey guys... thanks for the great comments. I had a 15% HF coupon that expires today so I went and picked up the 8 pc HSS Windsor lathe tools. They were on sale for 39.99 and I got my 15% off that. Also stopped at Home Depot and picked up three 2x2s and am going out to the garage to start making a mess.

Here's hoping it goes well.

Later,

Jon

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2008, 9:52 PM
Jon - I picked up the HF Windsor 8 piece collection when I first started turning 4 years ago - and I am still using them! When ever I wear them out I'll pick up another set!

Have fun turning and remember - we like lots of photos!

Jon Prouty
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
okay... found out my first two lessons.

Lesson #1) Turning with a dead center in the tailstock requires some oil as lubrication. The squeal emanating from the dead center was enough to scare the living stuff out of me. I thought okay, here is why I got such a good deal (thought the bearings were shot). Little bit of oil in the hole made by the center and we are good to go.

Lesson #2) Pine 2x2 stock is really not good for turning... other than learning what the tools do and practicing with the skew for the first time the pine was way too soft.

Any recommendations for inexpensive stock to practice on? Ash maybe?

Later,
Jon

Judy Kingery
10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Hello Jon,

Glad you're getting set up and started; as for stock with which you might practice on turning, see what you have locally perhaps? Here we have Mesquite plentifully, free most of the time. Either park service or friends and neighbors, turns beautifully. So you might check that route. Best wishes, Jude

lynn smith
10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Welcome Jon,
I've been turning for a year now using the vary same lathe.
What a deal you got.
As for turning stock, start looking a firewood piles, piles where someone is clearing land, that is if you have a chainsaw.
Part of the fun is learning what types of wood turn well and what types don't.
Have fun.

Skip Spaulding
10-24-2008, 7:02 AM
Welcome Jon, now you need 2nd job to support your new hobby! Sides of the road, tree and lawn service guys and town land fills can be good sources for wood. I bought 2 cord of fire wood late summer and the first thing my wife said was "Don't Even Think About Putting That Wood On Your Lathe"!! Those real narley pieces can hide great pen blanks etc.
I can't believe a guy that finds great tool deals won't find great wood sources.

Don Orr
10-24-2008, 11:50 AM
That'll do nicely Jon. Enjoy your new toys. Firewood or most any free wood is great for practice. If you get your tools real sharp and present them to the wood correctly, even soft 2x2's can be cut cleanly. Practice is very important.

Have fun !