PDA

View Full Version : The Sand Flee for thickness sanding?

dirk martin
10-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I resaw hundreds of boards. All different thicknesses, all the time. Then I raise and lower my drum sander to get my boards smooth. Quite a pain due to the variety of thicknesses I work with.

Do you all think the Sand Flee would make sanding quicker for me, since it's similar to a jointer, using sand paper? Or, if one edge of my board is thicker than the other, will will it be a pain to get the boards flat on the Sand Flee?

I'm talking about stock here that's from 1/8" thick, up to 1/2" thick...and widths 3" and up.

fRED mCnEILL
10-23-2008, 12:29 AM
You need a planer.

Fred Mc.

Daniel Hillmer
10-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree, a surface planer will do what you want.

Randal Stevenson
10-23-2008, 3:02 AM
A similar sander, did a demo at my local woodworking show. They used boards on either side, that a sled board road across. Once the board was sliding smoothly across, you have it down to the thickness you wanted. (good board, screwed, hot glued, etc to the sled).

It is easy to get boards smooth with this type of sander, it isn't easy to get them parallel. (flat)

Anthony Whitesell
10-23-2008, 8:12 AM
Think of the sandflee as a jointer. Versus a drum sander that works as a planer. The sandflee will only get one side flat and not parallel to the other side. The sandflee will remove thickness not can't guarantee that it will do it evenly across the surface, again it works like and has the same limitations that a jointer does. You'll either need to keep using the drum sander or switch to a planer for this task.

Perhaps a digital height readout for the drum sander is in order.

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 8:33 AM
As Anthony points out, something like the Sand Flea would not be appropriate for "thickness" sanding...it's only good for surface sanding.

dirk martin
10-23-2008, 4:54 PM
You need a planer.

Fred Mc.

What planer goes down to 1/8"...especially without exploding the board?

dirk martin
10-23-2008, 4:56 PM
As Anthony points out, something like the Sand Flea would not be appropriate for "thickness" sanding...it's only good for surface sanding.

Thanks guys....
After watching some online demo's, I too came to this realization...and I do need even thickness, edge to edge.

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 9:44 PM
What planer goes down to 1/8"...especially without exploding the board?

None, really, at least "natively". Some folks have had success with using a portable planer (rubber rollers) with a sled to both hold the workpiece secure and raise it up so that the planer is working in its normal depth range. But personally, for thick veneer, a normal drum sander is probably more productive and less likely to damage the stock, despite the adjusting necessary that you cite in your original post.