PDA

View Full Version : 150 year old walnut

Tony Wheeler
10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Got a phone call that a 150 year old walnut came down and the gun stock factory did not want the crotches dont ask me why they just took the straight logs but Im happy that they did. So I gave my new Thompson 3/4" gouge a spin. Sanded to 220 with one coar of thinned dewaxed shellac wanted to show the tear out but it didnt show in the poor pic wanting to oil sand but dont know if I can start with the oil at 220 or if I need to go back to 100 or 150 to get a surrly to fill small amounts of tear out. Don't want to take a chance with one more cut as it is as thin as I want and don't want a chance of a O S happening. 17" x 1 1/2

Toney Robertson
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Beautiful wood.

Give us a profile so we can see the shape.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Tony - congrats on the walnut score! Absolutely beautiful platter! The wood is amazing! Looks like rippled water! Great job!

Question - how did you like the 3/4" gouge? Did you get a V or U shape? I've got a 5/8"V and love it but have been thinking about the 3/4".

Tony Wheeler
10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I will try to get a profile when its done it's basically striaght sides with about 1/2" raduis Steve I got the V to start with and so far I love it espically the bulk and wieght when starting on big out of balance and rough cut pieces also got a 1/2 v and U the U shope I plan to up a type of mirco bevel on it for bottom of and transidions (sp) from side to the bottoms I made a 22" x1" alum handle for the 3/4 with vinyal covernings (wish we had spell check)

Jon Lanier
10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Great wood, great turn... just great... great... great!

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
That is a great platter and the wood is amazing.

michael gallagher
10-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Lot of nice character in that platter....it looks very nice, and great score on the wood. Those are the kind of phone calls that are welcome to be made at anytime.

Jeff Nicol
10-23-2008, 9:43 AM
Toney, I made one similar to yours a while back. I got the wood in the same way, except the tree was not quite that old maybe 100years! Not in competition but here is the one I did.

Side note to Steve and any close to Hammond Wi. I have a bunch of stuff at the Stone Soup Gallery there. (It is owned by my cousin Jane)

I think I am addicted to turning and posting on SMC !!!

Jeff