PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing a "modern chair"

Sunda Sundaram
10-22-2008, 8:10 PM
Hi there,

My wife found a chair near our home and asked me to fix it (she loves doing it). The chair is indeed a nice molded plywood chair with modern design and metal legs.

The fixing of the legs to the chair itself was badly damaged and I now trying to find spare parts to fix it, however, I have no idea about the name of the part itself, so finding a replacement for it is quite challenging! :-)

It is more or less like a spacer but the plywood in in fact fixed on it.

I thank you in advance

Jamie Buxton
10-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Ah, yes, those little rubber things. I had dining chairs with those, some twenty years ago. They were only glued to the plywood. I think the idea was that they'd be a compliant connection from the steel to the wood, and let everything flex without breaking. On mine, the bond from rubber to wood failed, and the rubber things would slide down the leg. We'd push them back in place, and they'd be okay for a few weeks. Eventually those chairs got retired. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed similar but new chairs in a cafe. Sure enough, some of the little rubber things were adrift. Apparently Darwinism doesn't apply to bad chair designs.

Scott Rollins
10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
It would be easy to make from plywood or hardwood if you have access to tools. I did a search on google for seat gusset and chair gusset...no luck. I think your best bet would be to go to some stores (target walmart etc ) and try to find a chair with a similar part and purchase the chair to scavange parts ( a junkyard for parts).
Good luck