PDA

View Full Version : What lathe would you get if you had $1000-$1200?

Tim Dorcas
10-22-2008, 7:35 PM
I currently have a mini-lathe but I would like to get something larger. I am seriously considering a Craftex CT128 which is a copy of the Laguna 18/47 at a lower price point. I am in Canada (Calgary, Alberta to be exact) so I am somewhat limited in what I can get. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked for used lathes but so far I have seen nothing.

Thanks!

Tim

Andrew Derhammer
10-22-2008, 7:45 PM
Nova 1624-44. Just bought it from woodcraft a few days ago. Same position as you, i should have it next tuesday

Tim Dorcas
10-22-2008, 8:10 PM
Nova 1624-44. Just bought it from woodcraft a few days ago. Same position as you, i should have it next tuesday

I think shipping would kill me

Andrew Derhammer
10-22-2008, 8:44 PM
http://www.teknatool.com/distributors/canada.htm
Canada Dealers if that helps. WC has it on sale for $850, so i don't know how shipping would be to Canada.

Paul Douglass
10-22-2008, 8:50 PM
That be tha one I bought and am very happy. Be even happier if I would have gotten it at the $850 price! What a DEAL!

Wilbur Pan
10-22-2008, 9:06 PM
Just checking out the Canadian dealers list that Andrew linked you to, KMS Tools has the Nova 1624 for $999, and Busy Bee has what looks like a 2 HP Jet 1642 clone for $1250. (Canadian dollars)

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2008, 9:18 PM
Tim - I checked out the Busy Bee site and the Craftex lathe you were asking about. Seems like it would be fairly nice lathe but the one major thing that would make me think about it some more - what do you do about parts? If anything happens to the machine - what do you do about servicing?

I have a Jet 1642 and wish it had an 18" capacity - so that is a nice feature. The quill only has 2" of travel (Jet has 4") but you could learn to live with that. Busy Bee lists the spindle as 1" x 8 tpi and Canadian Woodworking Magazine lists it as 1 1/4" x 8 tpi. One of those sources is wrong - just something else to check in to before making a decision.

Tim Dorcas
10-22-2008, 9:49 PM
Tim - I checked out the Busy Bee site and the Craftex lathe you were asking about. Seems like it would be fairly nice lathe but the one major thing that would make me think about it some more - what do you do about parts? If anything happens to the machine - what do you do about servicing?

I have a Jet 1642 and wish it had an 18" capacity - so that is a nice feature. The quill only has 2" of travel (Jet has 4") but you could learn to live with that. Busy Bee lists the spindle as 1" x 8 tpi and Canadian Woodworking Magazine lists it as 1 1/4" x 8 tpi. One of those sources is wrong - just something else to check in to before making a decision.

Busy Bee is 15 minutes from my house and I buy small stuff from them all of the time. Since this lathe is essentially a Laguna, I assume I could always get Laguna parts. The spindle size is 1" x 8 tpi. While some have commented that this is an impediment for really large sized turnings, I am not really interested (right now) in doing those kinds of things. In addition it is the same size as my mini lathe which means I don't really have buy two separate pieces of gear for each lathe. My main concern with this lathe is that of quality. I have purchased rebranded equipment in the past and I have had mixed success. For the money however it has lots of the things I am looking for - variable speed, reverse, capacity, and stability.

Now that I know where to get the
NOVA 1624-44 WOODLATHE W/1.5HP REVERSIBLE MOTOR (http://www.kmstools.com/scripts/products/product.php?LL-1624-44&2%3C-%3E4%3C-%3E22%3C-%3E12)
locally, this is also on the table. I am heading to the Edmonton Woodworking Show so perhaps they will have a deal. Besides not having variable speed, it is a known quality lathe and I wouldn't have to put a 220v line out to the shop.

Steve I appreciate the feedback and if you think of anything else or there is something else I am missing in my reasoning, please let me know. Thanks!

Tim Dorcas
10-22-2008, 9:50 PM
Just checking out the Canadian dealers list that Andrew linked you to, KMS Tools has the Nova 1624 for $999, and Busy Bee has what looks like a 2 HP Jet 1642 clone for $1250. (Canadian dollars)

Wilbur,

I have just added this to the list. Thanks!

Tim

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Tim - the woodworking show should be able to answer whatever questions you have about lathes - so that is a good thing. Best suggestion I can make is for you to make a trip to Busy Bee and check out their lathe. See if you can demo it. You'll be able to see first hand what the overall quality of the lathe is, the cosmetics as far as fit & finish, etc.

Hopefully you will be able to see a Nova up close and personal at the WW show. I've never turned on one but a lot of folks here are very happy with the lathe!

Best of luck with your decision! Looking forward to seeing photos of what ever lathe you decide on!

Wilbur Pan
10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Just one other thing to keep in mind: although the Nova 1642 is a very nice lathe, despite the name, the swing is actually 400mm, which makes the swing 15-3/4", not 16".

Of course, since you live in Canada, you already knew that. ;)

Extra swing is really really nice. Of course it allows you to turn larger chunks of wood, but I think the real extra value of having extra swing is that it allows you to put the tool rest wherever you want, since you don't have to worry so much about your bowl running into the banjo itself.

Bob Hallowell
10-23-2008, 8:39 PM
I would have a hard time passing up that Craftex CT128 lathe at that price. It looks great! As for the 1x8 spindle this is my take. I have an 80's delta 16" swing lathe and it only has a 1x8 spindle but it on necks down to that on the last 2" on each end then the rest of it is 35mm so it can use a standard 72mmx35mm 6207 bearing which I beleive the big jet also uses. I doubt there is much flex in that 2". I have never noticed any at least. I would be willing to bet that lathe is the same way and if you live close it should be easy enough to find out.

Tim Dorcas
10-26-2008, 11:26 PM
For anyone following this thread...I ended up with the Nova 1624-44. They had one on sale which included a heavy duty stand. I would have loved to get the Craftex CT128 but it was a bit more and I still would have had to wire up the shop for 220v. I am sure I will miss the variable speed and the extra oomph but so far so good!

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Congrats Tim. You are going to like that lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Tim - always a hard decision when it comes to lathes as there are so many options out there! I think you made a good choice and will be very happy with the lathe! Looking forward to the photos!

Don Eddard
10-27-2008, 3:32 AM
Congrats. I think you ended up with the better lathe over the Craftex. The Craftex may be a rebranded Laguna, but I've heard and read of enough
problems with the Laguna that I'd be leery of it or any of its cousins. I don't recall seeing anything negative about the Nova 1624-44.