PDA

View Full Version : Comparable Options to Grizzly G1023 Cabinet Saw

Jim VanBramer
05-21-2004, 6:31 PM
I was just curious if there are any other cabinet saws out there that might be comparable to the Grizzly G1023 in quality/price.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 6:37 PM
Nope...not a one! :D

For some interesting threads, try doing a search on Bridgewood or PM66 or Jet or something related to table saws. Of course, Grizzly works, too. These discussions are always, shall we say, passionate? :)

Brian Hale
05-21-2004, 7:24 PM
Bridgewood! Ok Ok i'm partial to Bridgewood.

Seriously, i've recently bought the 10" left tilt cabinet saw, 6" jointer, DC and 15 " planer from Wilke Machine and the fit and finish are very good and i've no doubt they'll outlast me. Top quality stuff.

Brian

Larry Browning
05-22-2004, 9:55 AM
Jim.
Is there a problem with Grizzly that causes you to consider alternatives? For me Griz was the choice beause of price/quality and being close to the Springfield showroom/warehouse. (About 3 hr drive) I couldn't more pleased. I was able to get the G1023SL AND th G5000 8" jointer for the price of say a PM66. I think I like and use the jointer as much as I do the saw.

Larry

Tyler Howell
05-22-2004, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Larry Browning]Jim.
Is there a problem with Grizzly that causes you to consider alternatives? For me Griz was the choice beause of price/quality and being close to the Springfield showroom/warehouse. (About 3 hr drive) I couldn't more pleased. I was able to get the G1023SL AND th G5000 8" jointer for the price of say a PM66. I think I like and use the jointer as much as I do the saw.

Larry,
Been a while since we've had a visual update of your shop progress. What's cooking in the Garagmahal these days. Saw and out feeds all in place?? I'm from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:pMissouri</ST1:p</st1:State>! Show me.;)

R. Hock
05-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't want to hijack the post but I think it is along the same lines. I am sure that someone on the forum knows the answer to this so please humor me if it has been posted before. Are there any major stationary power tools for the hobbyist (not commercial grade and massive 3 phase stuff) that are made in the USA or Canada? (Are all of the General machines made in Canada vs. General International which I think are the imports from Asia?) How can one tell without having the machine in front of you? I suppose if the quality is there is doesn't really matter, right? :rolleyes:

Randy

John Miliunas
05-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Hmmmm...This is a tough one! There's always Bridgewood. Otherwise, you might consider a Bridgewood. If you're really after quality, but can't afford a PM or General, you can always get the virtual duplicate by buying a Bridgewood. That is, of course, the BW10LTS. :) Their lesser expensive model (right tilt 10" and 12") is pretty much the duplicate of the Grizz, in which case, you might consider the Bridgewood. :rolleyes: Seriously. The Customer Service, support, shipping and general knowledge from the folks at Wilke are exemplory. Oh, the saw ain't bad, either!!! :D I've been real happy with ALL my purchases from Wilke. NO, I'm not affiliated with them, bla, bla-bla, bla.... :cool:

Gary Sutherland
05-22-2004, 7:45 PM
Are there any major stationary power tools for the hobbyist (not commercial grade and massive 3 phase stuff) that are made in the USA or Canada? Randy

Well, things change so fast that I may be wrong and someone will set the record straight.

I believe at least one of the Delta contractor saws, as well as their Unisaw (maybe not all?) and Powermatic's 66 are still made in the US. Vega makes lathes and very good edge sanders, in Illinois. Tannewitz has been making great bandsaws in Michigan for decades. The General line, as opposed to General International, is still being made in Canada, although I believe the Canadian line offers fewer products these days.

Not like it used to be, but still some.

gary

R. Hock
05-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the information about country of origin. The 8 inch top of the line jointers by Delta and Powermatic are made in Asia?

Randy

Steven Wilson
05-23-2004, 2:03 PM
I don't want to hijack the post but I think it is along the same lines. I am sure that someone on the forum knows the answer to this so please humor me if it has been posted before. Are there any major stationary power tools for the hobbyist (not commercial grade and massive 3 phase stuff) that are made in the USA or Canada?

How do you define "made in the USA or Canada"? All major subassemblies produced in America or Canada? Assembled in America or Canada? Cast iron pieces cast in America or Canada? Ground in America or Canada? How exactly do you define American or Canadian made? A few Powermatic items are still assembled in the USA from components of various origins. It is still debateable if it's still cast and ground here, cast overseas and ground here, or cast and ground overseas. A good way to tell is if the product price goes down substantially (i.e. from PM60A to PM60B jointer), that's a fairly reliable indicator that assembly and/or casting has moved offshore. But regardless of where it's made the question is what design changes / innovation have been made? Sadly there has been a lack of innovation in tablesaws from quasi-NorthAmerican producers (Delta, Powermatic, General) in the last 50 years. If you want innovation you really need to look at Europe