PDA

View Full Version : 1st time Neander thread.....

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 7:00 PM
Finally getting around to finding a need to post in the Neanaderthal Forum....

Folks,

I was doing a turning project for a fellow Creeker. Before leaving for 2 weeks, I roughed out a piece....left it in the chuck but loosened the jaws.

Today, I put the piece back on and it wouldn't center. By the time I reroughed out the piece. I didn't have enough wood left to finish the project. Then I discovered a burr on the mating face of the spindle on my headstock. So....while I'm waiting for some more 3" maple to arrive....I am turning the current piece of maple into a mallet to be used at the lathe to start drive centers.

Question? What if any finish would you use on a round mallet for use at the lathe?

David DeCristoforo
10-22-2008, 7:26 PM
A nice bronze coating on the faces and oiled steel for the rest?

Johnny Kleso
10-22-2008, 7:26 PM
BLO once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a year forever :)

Marcus Ward
10-22-2008, 9:32 PM
I don't put any finish on mine. Maybe I should?

Jim Becker
10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
BLO would be the limit for me...and that's just for looks.

Zahid Naqvi
10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
welcome to the cave Ken :cool:

Why put any finish, the finish is not going to protect it from hard strikes and if it shows signs of wear or splinters, make a new one. I don't know why anyone would bother with enhancing the looks of a mallet. What can I say I'm just a cave dweller ;)

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 7:54 AM
I don't know why anyone would bother with enhancing the looks of a mallet. What can I say I'm just a cave dweller

LOL There is just some comfort in a "finished look" I suppose. Seriously, I like the feel better that way, too.

Besides, some folks just like the smell of BLO in the morning... :o

Ken Werner
10-23-2008, 8:10 AM
BLO BLO BLO [one BLO is too short for the post robot]

Brent Smith
10-23-2008, 9:39 AM
Question? What if any finish would you use on a round mallet for use at the lathe?

The dents ye get from whacking things with it!!!

James Owen
11-01-2008, 9:15 PM
LOL There is just some comfort in a "finished look" I suppose. Seriously, I like the feel better that way, too.

Besides, some folks just like the smell of BLO in the morning... :o

"I love the smell of BLO in the morning. It smells like...(long nasal inhalation)...woodworking...."

With apologies to Robert Duvall.....

Sorry....couldn't resist.....:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2008, 9:51 PM
The dents ye get from whacking things with it!!!

Brent.....I decided to use the BLO suggestion and yours too! And it starting to look like a tool that has been used!:D

Brent Smith
11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
And that, Ken, is one of the reasons they call us Neanderthals, LOL. You should come down here more often....we're full of reasons to whack, chop, rip and split all kinds of things..........:D.