PDA

View Full Version : Saw Vise

Sal Morgani
05-21-2004, 4:49 PM
I just purchased 2 old saw vises which i plan to use to sharpen my crosscut and rip saws. They are in fine condition except they are both missing what appears to be a piece of leather or roping which was in a groove running down the inside face of the movable plate. I knew this when i bought them but for the price i could not pass them up. Before I pick the wrong material to glue in the groove I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sal

Joel Moskowitz
05-22-2004, 12:32 AM
don't be too surprised if the owner of the saw vise removed the leather. I've never seen it in a saw vise. You want to clamp the saw as tight as possible. Even a compressed piece of leather has a little give and the saw will vibrate more that clamped between something solid.

Angelo Schembari
05-22-2004, 3:05 PM
Funny you should mention that Joel, I've never seen one with the strip either. I did have a guy return a nice wentworth vise I sold on ebay b/c it was missing and, in his words, "useless without it." I've never had a problem without the leather. Just for giggles I once san a piece of cotton rope thru the grooves, didn't seem to change anything that much.

Alan Turner
05-24-2004, 8:24 AM
I do not qualify as a saw filer, but I did spend a half day with Tom Law last Fall when I was getting 7 saws sharpened for my students. Interesting day!! This man is a true gentleman, which does not mean he does not have opinions. He has an amazing collection of saws, and Emmerts.
Anyway, he used a strip of cloth or leather on the jaw, to reduce vibration from not everythiing being perfect, and to furhter tighten the grip on the blade. MIght have been canvas. I think the thickness required would depend upon each individual vise. Made sense to me, and so when I file, I do so also. Hot glue will hold it in place when a saw is not in the vise.
Alan

Sal Morgani
05-24-2004, 11:17 AM
" he used a strip of cloth or leather on the jaw, to reduce vibration "
Thanks Alan I appreciate your help.
Sal