PDA

View Full Version : Ted Drewes Font

Allan Wright
10-22-2008, 3:43 PM
I'm doing a gift for my (soon to be retiring) boss of 20 years. He's originally from St. Louis and loves trains so I'm going to use the laser to make a Ted Drewes stand for his Lionel Layout in 1/48 scale. I need to approximate the Ted Drewes font (see here: http://www.teddrewes.com/images/grandnew.jpg) for the sign image. I could probably steal it from this image for the front of the building, but I also need to do the 'Frozen Custard' words on the side which are obscured in the photo.

Anyone know what font is 'close' to this one?

Thanks in advance,
Al

Scott Erwin
10-22-2008, 3:52 PM
Try a posting on the What The Font site...

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Good luck..

Joe Pelonio
10-22-2008, 5:47 PM
I really don't think you will find a font for that. If you compare the letters
you will notice a difference in stroke, indicating either that there are letters from more than one font, they were hand drawn and cut, or maybe some obscure font which was made that way intentionally. Even the width of the S is out of proportion to the other letters.

You do have a couple of choices. One, get a photo from straight on, then run Trace on it and clean up. The other is to use a close font such as Charter Black and then edit each letter to make it look more like the sign.

Martin Boekers
10-22-2008, 9:07 PM
I'm from Saint Louis. Ted Drews is most beloved in these parts. I imagine you could sell quite a few around here not just for train layouts but village set ups for Christmas decorations. You have to post it when your finished.

I'd imagine those were hand cut from a sign shop most likely freehand. If you need a shot of the other side drop me a line and I'll get you one.

Marty

Joe Mioux
10-22-2008, 9:14 PM
I want a concrete. :)

Barb Macdonald
10-22-2008, 9:42 PM
Am I the only one thinking this? Joe said it so politely, but I of course, can't.
This Logo is begging to be up-graded? Maybe the Ted Drewes guy hand drew it himself?
I know, I know, it's an historic icon. Maybe, probably, some sign guy was way overworked one night, threw it together over a beer with this Ted person (sorry, don't know the place, wrong country).
And now it's being traced, for its' eternal vectorization/preservation.
Sign Artists/Font Designers everywhere, altogether now.
Groan.
I'm such a crappy salesperson, can you see why?
Sorry, Mad-cow rant, just wouldn't stop!
p.s. My gourds need to dry, I discovered. Sorta like when I lasered my first piece of unfinished wood, and thought, hmm, there's something missing. Someone posted about pumpkin guts, which got me thinking... Do I need gourd guts all over Abigail??
I'm starting my big inlay job (finally) tomorrow. (Waited for the deposit before I started.) Good thing the new exhaust is in place!! The tests I did previously made one heck of a mess. Thanks again, Engravers Express and Epilog!
We had a storm of snow here yesterday, still on the ground today, in the shade. I'm allowed one grumble per month, until next June..

have a great day!

barb
Epilog Legend ext 60 watt, aka Abigail, and rotaries and plotters and why can't the guys EVER put the tools back in the same place shop.

Mike Null
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I think it's hand drawn. Ted Drewes does so much business their logo is of no concern.

Stephen Musial
10-23-2008, 2:50 PM
Here's a google image link to more photos: http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=ted%20drewes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

There are quite a few shots of the Chippewa store (the picture you have is the Grand store).

Joe Pelonio
10-23-2008, 2:54 PM
So what's all the fuss about this frozen custard, is it really good?

Allan Wright
10-23-2008, 2:55 PM
I did a Google search. The Chipewa store is the one most people identify as 'THE' store, but the Grand store will make a better (and more simple) train layout feature so that's why I picked it. I'm sure my boss will recognize ANY branch of Ted's.

Now I want a Concrete!

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to post my results. I'm hoping to use the laser to make all of the architectural details like the window frames, etc.

Allan Wright
10-23-2008, 2:56 PM
Yes, it's really good. Much richer than ice cream, and the Vanilla flavor (my favorite) tastes like custard pie not like vanilla.

So what's all the fuss about this frozen custard, is it really good?

Joe Pelonio
10-23-2008, 2:57 PM
I see they ship overnight . . .

Allan Wright
10-23-2008, 3:00 PM
Yes, packed in Dry Ice. Warning, store in your freezer overnight so it can 'warm up'. It's literally like concrete when packed in dry ice.

I see they ship overnight . . .

Scott Shepherd
10-23-2008, 4:29 PM
It may have been create by hand years ago, but somewhere there's a digital version of that graphic. With all their printed media cups, fliers, advertising, they have to have something digitized.

How about giving them a call and telling them what you're trying to do. Perhaps it's as simple as that.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2008, 9:06 PM
Maybe we could work out a deal.

While you have it set up.......
If might not be that hard to hit an extra one.......
I think I could arrange a shipment:rolleyes:

It really is good........

Marty

Lucas Bittick
10-23-2008, 9:20 PM
FYI, the store on Grand is the original location.

Is Ted Drewes that well know outside of StL?

Can't wait to see the finished project.