PDA

View Full Version : Using beeswax mixture to cut down on dust

Hilel Salomon
10-22-2008, 2:22 PM
In one of Eli Avisera's wonderful series of dvds he uses a mixture of beeswax and either mineral oil or spirits and uses it as a kind of sanding sealer. Have any of you tried this? I'm wondering how exactly to melt the beeswax as I've been told that it is highly flammable.
Thanks, Hilel

Mike Vickery
10-22-2008, 2:37 PM
Kind of
My food safe finsih of choice is Tried and True Original formula which is a mixture of BLO and bees wax.

When I am going to finish a piece with this I will often will use the same formula to wet sand and it works very well.

On my other finishes I would worry that the wax would have bad effects.

It may seem expensive but a little goes a really long way with the tried and true I have had the same can for over a year.

Andrew Derhammer
10-22-2008, 3:42 PM
http://www.georgegeissler.com/products.php
Our now former club president. This may be the product that Eli used.

Justin Leiwig
10-22-2008, 4:21 PM
http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/january08/SandingWax.pdf

Direct from the source supposedly.

Dick Strauss
10-23-2008, 9:02 PM
Hilel,
I don't know about EA's process but I have dissolved beeswax in mineral spirits. There is no need to melt the wax. If you cut the wax into shavings first, it makes it dissolve much more quickly. I think it took several days to a week for my mix to finally dissolve after breaking up the wax.

You can also melt plain wax into the wood via friction.

I hope something here helps...

Christopher Fletcher
10-24-2008, 1:29 AM
No need to spend the extra $ on beeswax. I use mineral spirits with paraffin (much cheaper at Michael's or other art store). I bought a cheap paint can at the borg, put in the chunks of wax, and place the can in a pan of hot water. As the wax starts to melt add the mineral spirits until thinned to your likening. That's about it!

Nathan Hawkes
10-24-2008, 7:30 AM
Does the oil discolor the turnings? Just wondering how far it penetrates. In my mind it seems pretty difficult to get a uniform light coat on a piece, but this sounds interesting enough to make me want to try it in my shop (read: shed), with only a little dust collector, which draws a lot of electricity when you're sanding for an hour or two on a big piece.

Hilel Salomon
10-24-2008, 8:44 AM
Thanks All,

I bought a stainless steel mixing bowl and a couple of bottles of mineral oil-boy the lady at the counter figured I had a major problem- and I'm going to try the double boiler method. I can get beeswax pretty cheaply and sometimes for free so it doesn't sound too expensive. I also have paraffin wax. Does that achieve the same results?
Hope you are all enjoying the Fall.
Regards, Hilel.