PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for trim routers.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-21-2004, 3:47 PM
Hi All, I'm looking at trim routers which I will use for inlay work and edge treatments. I'm looking at the Porter Cable 310 and the Bosch. Any comments on these and others much appreciated. Alan in Md.

Ron Roberts
05-21-2004, 4:26 PM
I can't comment on the Bosch as I've never used it but the PC is an excellent little trim router in my never to be humble opinion. In a fit of frustration a few years ago, I set my Sears router down vowing never to pick it up again and went out and bought a PC 690. That led to some other PC routers and eventually the 310. I've been very pleased with the PC line.

The most unusual use I've put the 310 to is routing recesses for weights for Pinewood Derby cars for the neighbors kids. Not much of a test but I've also used it for laminate trimming and some free hand work where I thought I really needed the control.

Ron

Mark Singer
05-22-2004, 8:49 AM
I have the Bosch and really like it. It is very handy and has plenty of power.I typicaly keep a small round over bit in it which I use very often to detail corners and give a softer finish to furniture parts. I have also used it for instlling knife and other small hinges.

Todd Burch
05-22-2004, 9:08 AM
Mark Singer has been spying on me (or me him), as I have the same trim router and use it the SAME EXACT way!!

Mark Singer
05-22-2004, 9:51 AM
Mark Singer has been spying on me (or me him), as I have the same trim router and use it the SAME EXACT way!!Todd,
Don't look in the upper north corner of your shop...no thats not a camera...its a small spider web with some sawdust stuck to it....yeah thats what it is...;)

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2004, 1:52 PM
Thanks guys. Would you consider the Bosch a loud router say compared to a full sized one? I'm going to use this for inlay work and need to attach Porter Cable type inlay bushings to it. So I guess I'll need an adaptor. Thanks Alan

Angelo Schembari
05-22-2004, 3:01 PM
I have the 310 also, can't comment on the bosch. Nice compact little router. Only reccommendation I would make is to buy or make an oversized base plate for it, the stock one is a little small. Pat warner sells them with the recess for guide bushings. www.patwarner.com. no affiliations, etc.

Gene Collison
05-22-2004, 3:39 PM
I went through the same thing a couple of months ago, searching for a trim router. The one I finally bought is a Makita 3707 FC, you can actually see what your doing with it, see through base. Also, the cutter removes with 2 wrenches and the bit falls out, you don't have to hit it with a hammer to remove it. The base removes with a cam lock lever and the depth of cut adjusts with a thumb roller. Be sure and get a look at it before you buy one of the others. Its also really quiet when it's running. It covers many of the shortcomings that some of the other trim routers have.

Gene

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2004, 5:51 PM
I went through the same thing a couple of months ago, searching for a trim router. The one I finally bought is a Makita 3707 FC, you can actually see what your doing with it, see through base. Also, the cutter removes with 2 wrenches and the bit falls out, you don't have to hit it with a hammer to remove it. The base removes with a cam lock lever and the depth of cut adjusts with a thumb roller. Be sure and get a look at it before you buy one of the others. Its also really quiet when it's running. It covers many of the shortcomings that some of the other trim routers have.

Gene
Gene, Thanks for the suggestion. Where did you buy it? Thanks Alan

Gene Collison
05-22-2004, 5:58 PM
Gene, Thanks for the suggestion. Where did you buy it? Thanks Alan

Alan,

I bought it from a local tool store for $139. I would check with northwestpowertool.com, they usually have good prices. Get a look at it, I think you will like it, 100% made in Japan too.

Gene

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Gene, Thanks a lot for the info. I'm going to check it out now. Alan

Dan Cameron
05-23-2004, 11:34 AM
The hole for the guide bushings on my PC trim router is not centered on the collet. The over size mounting holes allow for some adjustment, but dead center is not within the adjustment range.