PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on a Scam!

Bill Cunningham
10-22-2008, 9:33 AM
Got this this morning.. Googled everything in it, and nothing matched..
Just a heads up for everyone.. But if anyone wants to take a chance.. Be my guest..:D
Came through a hotmail add.. carolinasupply@hotmail.com

HELLO SALES,
I ,M THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF THE LEWIS CONSULT ,WE WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM FROM YOUR STORE TO ONE OF OUR BRANCHIES [ NAME BADGES --TYPE-- ANODIZED ALUMINIUM --QTY 1,500 PCS WITH MAGNETIC BACKING --size--3'' x 3/4 COLOR BLACK AND BLUE ]IN ADDITION WE ADVICE PAYMENT THROUGH CREDIT CARD SUCH LIKE MASTER,VISA,AMEX, KINDLY LET ME KNOW THE ACCEPTABLE CARDS .IN ADDITION LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE IT IN STOCK DUE TO THE URGENT NEEDED.

BILLING ADRESS,
LEWIS CONSULT
FLOOR 23, DITMAS AVENUE .
MARYLAND.
ZIP CODE---11217.
TEL---347-879-1496.
COUNTRY--USA.

SHIPPING ADRESS,
NAME OF THE RECEIVER--NANCY BOSCH.
ADRESS---6082 MYRTLE AVE APT 2F,
RIDGEWOOD 11385 NEW YORK.
USA.
I ,AWAIT YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.
THANKS.
YOURS FAITHFULLY.
MRS LEWIS.

David Dustin
10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Anyone have any ideas?

I read one account where someone did that to a guy trying to rip off a notebook computer.

there was a local that went onsite and took pictures of the guy and everything.

David

Joe Pelonio
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Somehow I doubt that the managing director of a consulting firm would butcher the English language like this, or at least would know how to run a spell check.

The other clue is that it's from a free e-mail service, any respectable consulting firm would have their own domain name.

Sean Bullock
10-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I received the same request this morning. I was automatically suspiscious because of the poor language skills, and that the phone number went direct to the voice mail of Mary and John.

Jim Huston
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
also don't think a US firm would put USA in address lines!

Kim Vellore
10-23-2008, 1:03 PM
It is written scam all over here

First if some one is interested and it is a big order they will call you or just get your phone # to talk to you.
Second all caps
third
no one writes
I ,AWAIT YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.
YOURS FAITHFULLY.
PAYMENT THROUGH CREDIT CARD SUCH LIKE
DUE TO THE URGENT NEEDED
KINDLY LET ME KNOW
IN ADDITION LET ME KNOW
No one writes " adress" like
NAME OF THE RECEIVER--NANCY BOSCH.
ADRESS---6082 MYRTLE AVE APT 2F,

or introduces themselves as "I am the MD blah" without giving their name

Looks like it has roots from Nigeria. I would usually play along with that person make him think he is going to get something and waste his time during my spare time.

Kim

Rick Gifford
10-23-2008, 1:26 PM
No American I know says:

"I ,AWAIT YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.
YOURS FAITHFULLY.
PAYMENT THROUGH CREDIT CARD SUCH LIKE
DUE TO THE URGENT NEEDED
KINDLY LET ME KNOW
IN ADDITION LET ME KNOW"

Yours Faithfully? Such like due to the urgent needed?

Kindly let me know in addition let me know?

Geeeeez! :rolleyes:

Chip Peterson
10-23-2008, 4:48 PM
And does a "branch" really need 1500 name badges? I may be off on that one, but I think "corporate" might need that many, but not "branch".

Run away.

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2008, 9:15 PM
Got another one this morning from a 'father' something or other looking for vinyl 1x3" decals, with the usual "save the children" in poor English and full of spelling errors, not interested in price, just what kind of credit cards do we accept.. I usually have these answered by my good friend and assistant Ima Nomoreon :p