PDA

View Full Version : Curved Window Trim Complete - WOO-HOO!

Todd Burch
05-21-2004, 2:53 PM
Well, I'm done with the most difficult piece of this study job - and that was the double curved cherry window trim. Here's a picture of it. It you want all the gory details, with a full report on how I did it, with a picture expose, you can read it on my web site at this link: http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/Remodel/rp_windows.html

This page is not linked through my "normal" gallery process, but will be in a few days. For now, and then, the link is good.

Thanks for looking.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 3:00 PM
Nice job as usual, Todd. How much time do you think you spent deciphering this puzzle?

Todd Burch
05-21-2004, 3:14 PM
Chris, I actually did the majority of it in one day - but it was the 2 months of thinking about it ahead of time that helped.

Dick Parr
05-21-2004, 3:27 PM
Very nice Todd, can't wait to see pictures of this job when it is completed.

Dan Bussiere
05-21-2004, 3:38 PM
Great Job Todd. You never cease to amaze me. When I grow up ( ;) and I never will ;) ) I want to be just like you. I also can't wait to see the rest!
Dan

Brad Schmid
05-21-2004, 6:07 PM
Nice job as usual Todd! Thanks for posting the details.

Now there's no way I'll mess it up if I ever have to do that myself :rolleyes: he,he,he

Jason Tuinstra
05-21-2004, 6:19 PM
Todd, great work. Your attention to detail is evident. In so many ways, your work is your witness and you have a great witness.

Bruce Page
05-21-2004, 6:23 PM
Todd, that looks great! I'm sure that not many people would've taken that one on. Your description and problem solving were interesting.

You would have made a great machinist! :D:D

Todd Burch
05-21-2004, 7:15 PM
Thanks Bruce, Jason, everyone.

Bruce, I shoulda been an Engineer.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 7:35 PM
Todd,

I are a engineer!! :D

John Miliunas
05-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Todd, I think you are the master of finding solutions for the near-impossible! :D Great job on the finished product, but even more admirable is, the way you approached coming up with a solution for a difficult task! :cool:

Mark Angle
05-21-2004, 10:33 PM
:D Just looked at your web site and saw your work. And to think a beginner like me, can come on Saw Mill Creek and have pros like you answer our questions for free. WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD WE LIVE IN TODAY. Thanks again for helping us get started.

MARK

Bob Marino
05-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Todd,

Beautifully done. Just looked at the details on how you did the whole job and am even more impressed.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
05-22-2004, 1:05 AM
Todd,

Very well done sir....well done indeed.!!!!! You did that wood "real good".!! :D

BTW, You got that new equipment up and running yet? I'm gonna hafta come see you some time to look it all over. ;)

Tyler Howell
05-22-2004, 8:33 AM
Ya we fixed that one alright It was a tough one but the 2k members of SMC got it whipped.:p

Nice job Todd and you're welcome for all my hard work and support on this project. I'll be expecting my royalty check:D

Sen Sae you have been a true leader of this dusty bunch. Thanks for the schooling.;)

Kelly C. Hanna
05-22-2004, 9:39 AM
What a great solution to a very badly designed window! You made the builder look good.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Todd
You are a magician, a teacher, a wonderful finish carpenter, an extremely talented cabinet maker, and a blessing to your clients.
Read and analyzed the process on your website and have reached these conclusions. I know I'm right, because I'm perfect in every way but "I am not the boss"; that's reserved for SWMBO.
From he who doesn't know it all
Daniel :D

Todd Burch
05-22-2004, 2:11 PM
Guys, thanks again.

HOWEVER, it's getting kinda deep here. Y'all are gonna build me up and then I'll let you down. I'm just one of you guys, sharing my thought processes and logic (a relative term) on how I go about solving problems, hopefully saving someone the agony I've been through. I don't profess to be an expert or know-it-all, and as we all know, pictures are very generous. I've only been doing this stuff professionally for a little over a year and have at least 3 more lifetimes worth to learn about this wood stuff.

Everyone here is just as talented in one way or another as the next person. I like helping, and I like getting help. I'm not here because I am looking to build myself up, I'm just sharing things that I think are neat or might be helpful to others. Constructive feedback is always good.

And remember - you are seeing a subset of my work - I don't show you any of the projects that turn out bad or so-so, and I don't point out my screw ups!! (If I did - my post count would be at 10,000+ and I would be on most people's ignore list!!!)

Left-handed Todd.

Jack Hogoboom
05-22-2004, 5:27 PM
Todd,

I have a brother that lives in Houston. I'm thinking I need to come take that Burchwood class of yours. It's either that, or you fly up to Jersey and do the data dump up here. Somehow I have to learn how you do so many incredible things and managed to surf here all the time. I don't know how you find the time.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Kelly C. Hanna
05-22-2004, 6:18 PM
Todd....don't second guess yourself and your ability to think on the fly to find a solution that really works. That window would have scared off many a trim carpenter. People who do what we do and care about the end product aren't falling off trees yanno.

There's a lot to be said for anyone who can finish out a nightmare like that one!:D

Lars Thomas
05-22-2004, 9:39 PM
As usual Todd, a cut above. Lars

Rich Konopka
05-23-2004, 8:49 AM
Wow !! Very Classy and I love how the wood does not overpower you it just makes a statement of class!!

Great work.

Keith Starosta
05-23-2004, 9:55 AM
Guys, thanks again.

HOWEVER, it's getting kinda deep here. Y'all are gonna build me up and then I'll let you down. I'm just one of you guys, sharing my thought processes and logic (a relative term) on how I go about solving problems, hopefully saving someone the agony I've been through. I don't profess to be an expert or know-it-all, and as we all know, pictures are very generous. I've only been doing this stuff professionally for a little over a year and have at least 3 more lifetimes worth to learn about this wood stuff.

Everyone here is just as talented in one way or another as the next person. I like helping, and I like getting help. I'm not here because I am looking to build myself up, I'm just sharing things that I think are neat or might be helpful to others. Constructive feedback is always good.

And remember - you are seeing a subset of my work - I don't show you any of the projects that turn out bad or so-so, and I don't point out my screw ups!! (If I did - my post count would be at 10,000+ and I would be on most people's ignore list!!!)

Left-handed Todd.

Well, I'm glad YOU said it! Dude....your work sucks!!! I'm not too sure why you keep posting that crap on this site. ;)

Seriously, I do believe you know how I really feel about your stuff. Another great job. I can't wait to go through the entire, complete write-up for this project!

Keith

Byron Trantham
05-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Geesh! :D

I'm happy when the board that comes out the other end of my table saw is STRAIGHT! ;)