PDA

View Full Version : My son Jonathan, 8, meeting David Marks

Andy Casiello
10-22-2008, 8:25 AM
A couple of Saturdays ago, David Marks was in town (Norfolk, VA) teaching classes at the local Woodcraft. Woodcraft sponsored a "Meet and Greet". I brought my eight year old son, Jonathan, to meet David.

A few months ago, while with me at Woodcraft, Jonathan found a book on making chess pieces on a scroll saw. He didn't ask for the book that day, but when we got home he started talking about it. We brought him back to Woodcraft later in the week and got the book. Since then he and I have made a few chess pieces together, and we're working toward a whole set (slowly!).

Jonathan wanted to show David Marks his chess pieces, so he brought them along. Jonathan was thrilled to meet David, and hung on David's every word. David signed the chess pieces, and I took a number of pictures of them together.

David's latest email newsletter features a photo that I took of them holding the chess pieces. Jonathan couldn't be prouder than to be published as part of David's website and newsletter. I thought I would share the story here and the photo.

Watch out for more from Jonathan, he's got a lot of great ideas on what to make, and he's learning a lot about the process. As any anxious father would expect, I'm extremely cautious anytime he is in the shop with me, and don't run the big machines unless he's well out of the way - including kickback line of fire, etc.. He's happy to work with me on the scroll saw, and let me do the rest. He likes the detail work, and painting, etc..

David was really great to meet - a wonderful person, great sense of humor, very generous and humble. What an incredible craftsman. If you have a chance to meet him when he's in your area, I think you will enjoy the time you spend with him.

Here's the picture from David's website:

http://www.djmarks.com/photos/djm-casiello.jpg

BOB OLINGER
10-22-2008, 8:36 AM
Congradulations - Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Hillmer
10-22-2008, 8:36 AM
Pardon my lack of knowledge of celebrities, - who is David Marks?

Ken Slemmer
10-22-2008, 8:38 AM
Andy, thank you for sharing the event with us.
The two of you have another moment of your lives to remember. .

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 8:45 AM
Andy.....what's the kid got to look forward to now?.......Everything is down hill from here! Congrats!

Daniel,

David Marks is the guy featured and discussed in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94559 and this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94559. He is a woodworker of great skill. He lives in northern California IIRC and he had a show on DIY network. He is much an artist as a skilled woodworker IMHO. I only got to watch his shows for about 2 months here and was really learning and enjoying them. Then DIY or the cable carrier, I don't know which decided to replace his show with their own productions. I don't watch DIY channel much anymore as a result.

Please God don't let them start the David versus Norm arguments again. I don't want to have to edit, modify and finally close and move the thread.

Scott Wigginton
10-22-2008, 8:46 AM
Pardon my lack of knowledge of celebrities, - who is David Marks?

He is the host of WoodWorks, one of the three widestream woodworking shows. I find him to be a good balance between Norm (New Yankee Workshop) and Roy Underhill (The Woodwright Shop). If you're familiar with the Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/) , Marc spent some time (1-2 years IIRC) working with David.

I'm sorry I missed that meeting, was out of town when he came. He also hosted some classes at our Woodcraft but right now I'd rather pickup more lumber/tools than pay that much for a half-day session :eek:

Mick Zelaska
10-22-2008, 9:19 AM
Tell Jonathan that I am extremely jealous! Not only with his meeting David Marks, but his craftsmanship on the chess pieces. Post some pictures when the set is complete.

Jim Becker
10-22-2008, 9:54 AM
David is a true gentleman and it's wonderful that you and your son were able to spend a few minutes with him. I'm sure it will have a lasting effect on your son, too, since it's not often that you get to directly interact with someone "out there" that you admire and learn from.

Andy Casiello
10-22-2008, 4:27 PM
Jonathan told me on the way home from meeting David Marks that this was the "most exciting" thing that has ever happened to him. He was really blown away by getting to meet somebody that he's watched on TV, and really admired. He got to talk to David about the "turtle toybox" that David built for one of his episodes. I'm really hoping the impact of the meeting stays with Jonathan so that he keeps an interest in the craft.

In any case I'm thrilled to have my son interested in something that his old man does, and wanting to learn from me and others. He's a very creative little guy, and I want him to be able to explore that.

I'll certainly post photos of Jonathan's chess pieces as we work on them.