PDA

View Full Version : Best industrial polishers.

Gregg Feldstone
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Seeking an industrial heavy duty 7" or 8" polisher. I don't know what companies make the best polishers, so I'd appreciate advice on that to. I plan on using it to keep all my iron surfaces in top condition and rust free. I've used polishing pads on my orbital sander and even my angle grinder but these are hardly the right tools for the job. I'm not concerned about it being a low speed polisher, as I don't plan to use it on my car or other painted surfaces.
I posted this in the classifieds but thought more of you would see it here. Thanks!!

Rick Fisher
10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I picked up a hitachi 7" polisher, which is basically a hitachi 1/2" drill with a 7" polisher wheel on it.

I have tried it on Cast iron but find it a waste of time.

Ross Ellis
10-22-2008, 1:35 PM
I use a Dewalt variable speed on aluminum for touch up. My current one is about 6 years old, caked with rouge and still runs strong...

Gregg Feldstone
10-22-2008, 5:26 PM
Any more suggestions????

Robert LaPlaca
10-22-2008, 7:10 PM
Maybe overkill for your purpose, but generally the Dewalt 849 or Makita 9227 are considered the best circular polishers..

Steve Vaughn
10-22-2008, 7:25 PM
Over on one of the auto detailing forums they like the PC 7424 (for machines also).

Steve

Adam Grills
10-22-2008, 8:20 PM
Are you really using your tools? Do you really want a car polish finish on a jointer bed or table saw top? Better off spending your time using the tool you are polishing!

Karl Brogger
10-22-2008, 8:32 PM
I use a 9" Milwaukee 15amp angle grinder with a buffing pad for my boat. I used it with a foam pad on the table saw. It made more of a mess than anything. Regular chrome polish, some rags, and elbow grease still yields the best results.

Works fricken' awesome on the boat though!

Les Spencer
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Festool Rotex. Either the 5" or 6".

Gregg Feldstone
10-23-2008, 5:34 AM
Please look this machine over: http://properautocare.com/flxcdupo.html

Do you think the true dual action would be more beneficial for sanding and heavy stock removal without the swirls?
I've emailed the company to ask if it can also be used as a sander...I don't see why not. Let me know.
It's the Flex XC 3401. $270, made in Germany.

John Callahan
10-23-2008, 6:41 AM
Another vote for the Makita 9227C ................. mine has seen a few cars and trucks and many, many boats. Excellent speed control and it's lighter than the Milwaukee.

Ross Ellis
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Please look this machine over: http://properautocare.com/flxcdupo.html

Do you think the true dual action would be more beneficial for sanding and heavy stock removal without the swirls?
I've emailed the company to ask if it can also be used as a sander...I don't see why not. Let me know.
It's the Flex XC 3401. $270, made in Germany.

I'm getting the idea that you are trying to buy one machine to do a multitude of things? ie, polish the car, use in the wood shop etc? All of the machines listed are very different.

The Dewalt, Milwakuee and makita Rotary Polishers are pure preference. I have almost no brand dedication and bought the Dewalt as I got a deal on it. I think we have a milwaukee with a sanding disk on it. No complaint with that machine either.

I also have a PC7424. I bought this when our big compressor was down and needed a d/a to finish up some work. This is a totally different machine. I browse the detailing forums from time to time. Loads of people swear by them. I never messed with a pad on it. I always got the idea that people who were touting them, were people who truly loved detailing and didn't mind spending a whole day buffing out a car, with an underpowered machine. The PC is also less intimidating than rotary. Man would I get flamed on a detailing board for that statement.

For waxing the cars my wife and I use for daily drivers, I use a Cyclo. This machine is built like a tank. I love it. Fast and easy. It can't be used as a sander.

If I had to choose just one, and didn't already own the others, I would probably get the PC7424 or the Flex you are looking at. That way you can use it for multiple uses. Flex made great buffers. They were big in the industry in the 80's. I say 80's as I got away from the business back then and turned it into a hobby. I'm really not sure how their products are now.

Gregg Feldstone
10-23-2008, 6:44 PM
I have the Makita Gv500 sander already, so I don't know if I would need another rotary sander unless I want to learn how to carefully use the 9227 on my car. Has anyone heard of the GV5000 being used as a polisher?
I would go with the festool rotex but don't want to spend that much now. Has anyone used the rotex's for polishing in addition to sanding? If so, how is it?