PDA

View Full Version : Picture Frame Price Help

Stanley Waldrup
10-21-2008, 9:25 PM
I work for one of the Airlines and have been ask to make some picture Frames with the Company logo on them. They are 5.5 inches wide at the base and 6.5 tall and the shape of an Aircraft tail. Total laser time for cutout and Logo is down to 2 min 45 Sec. 1/8 Birch Plywood is doubled for the top and connected to the base with Glue and Box joints to make it look like a piano hinge. Very Simple and The Cutout will act as a Templet for cutting the picture to fit the hole. Thanks Buzz. What would some of you charge for them. This is the prototype that I will be showing them.
Thanks
Stanley

Scott Erwin
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I see you have a cut/engrave time of 2:45 but what is your total time of the item? To make a calculation on the priceing you would need to know the total time to make the item, including your cut/engrave time, assembly time, setup, etc...

I am guessing by the look and perceived value of what you have, I am guessing around $10-12.

A while back someone posted a formula to get a rough idea of costing on items and from what I recall it went something like this...

Figure out the total time it takes to make one item. Lets say 5 minutes for this example. This will give you a total of 12 items per hour. Now take that number and divide it into your shop rate. For this example I will use $120/hour. This then equates to $10 per item.

Obviously if material costing is high you have to adjust accordingly.

An aquantance of mine told me a formula he used in making metal sculptures. He figured the cost of the material, doubled it. Then he figured out the cost of making the item, electricty, wear/tear on welder, welding rods, etc, doubled that. Added the two together and he had a starting point to what he should charge. I dont know how to figure out the cost of running my laser so I dont use this formula, but just offer it for another thought.

Hope this helps.