PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Home Premium Question

Kurt Strandberg
10-21-2008, 8:48 PM
Why can't I move some pics from one folder to another, it says I need permission, when I click continue it says "you need administrator permision to move the file" when I click continue it says "you need permission to perform this action" when I click "try again" it does nothing

I am the only user of this computer so I should be able to do everything, shouldn't I?

Pat Germain
10-22-2008, 3:05 PM
Yes, you should be able to do these functions. At least one of your accounts should be configured with "Administrator" priviledges. I would recommend using that account to create another with slightly less priviledges. That way, there's less of a chance of really screwing something up accidentally. Always logging in as an Administrator is a bad idea.

Now, if your account is set up to allow you to do things which you cannot do, it's a bug in Vista. One of my coworkers is having the same problem with his home Vista computer. He can't do things even when he's logged in as Administrator.

I would recommend perusing the Vista forums. I doubt you'll get any answers from Microsoft.

Good luck.

Scott Erwin
10-22-2008, 3:30 PM
Another feather for MS and their fine product....

Not gonna get Vista 'till they get it right....

XP is okay far better than nothing...well almost...

David DeCristoforo
10-22-2008, 3:52 PM
"Not gonna get Vista 'till they get it right...."

Don't hold your breath. Vista is going to be like W98ME. It will simply and quietly be replaced by the next gen. OS, probably before the end of the first quarter of '09. Vista is the worst MS OS since W98ME. MS knows it and so does everyone else. Still happily running XP Pro on my windoze boxes.... Some are still running W2K which was the best windoze version MS ever produced.

Eric Larsen
10-22-2008, 5:22 PM
Vista is running perfectly for me. I think the system has been up for five or six days as I write this.

That isn't much compared to some linux boxes which have been up for YEARS. But it isn't buggy for me, any more than XP sp2 was. (I'm using Home Premium 64-bit.)

I run Vista because of the embedded Windows Media Center. If you want to use your computer to capture television (I have nearly all episodes of NYW and WW) there really is no better solution. I've tried all the various freevo programs, and none of them work to my satisfaction.

(You can get media center for XP, but it isn't as good as the Vista version.)

So count at least one user here using Vista and loving it. (And, personally, I prefer working on Mac OS expecially for Quark and Photoshop.)

EDIT -- To answer your question, right click the folder the pictures are currently in. Click properties, then security. Then click "edit" under permissions and add your logon name. You may have to log out (ctrl-alt-del) and log in as Admin to do this.

EDIT (again) -- If THAT doesn't work, I'd check the registry. Actually, *I* wouldn't, because it's a royal pain. Get a copy of Tune Up Utilities 2008. It's like the original Norton Utilities, except for Vista. Excellent program. http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Matthew Poeller
10-22-2008, 5:53 PM
I had this same problem. I did a good search to find the answer, you have to log on as the admin and even though you are the only user on the computer you do not have full admin right unless you do this special thing and logon as the true admin.

This might help:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001888&source=topread

Matthew Poeller
10-22-2008, 6:21 PM
I tried that with my vista home and I was not able to get it to work because I could not get the users and groups thing to show up. Apparently if you are using home premium or basic you have to do this:

Tap the "F8" key as you are booting and select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.

Log into windows Vista with your personal account that holds the administrator access.

Open a command window (START->RUN->CMD.exe or press WindowsKey+R). At the command prompt type the following "net user administrator /active".

That’s it. Log out and log back in as administrator.

Try that.

Burt Alcantara
10-23-2008, 3:29 PM
Vista? What's that?

(Ubuntu user for 2 years. Up time is however long I leave the computer on without ME turning it off).

(Everything is FREE)

Burt

Jamie Delker
10-23-2008, 4:53 PM
I actually haven't had any issues with Vista on my laptop at home, it has improved a lot with the last service pack. I hated it at first, but forced myself to get used to it, and now it's a piece of cake.

That being said, I would never deploy it at work, XP just works better in that environment.

Dave Lehnert
10-23-2008, 7:03 PM
I actually haven't had any issues with Vista on my laptop at home, it has improved a lot with the last service pack. I hated it at first, but forced myself to get used to it, and now it's a piece of cake.

That being said, I would never deploy it at work, XP just works better in that environment.
I never had an issue with Vista. It is different, but no big deal. When computers were the new thing 10-12 years ago people were all into the New this and New that. I think now people are done with learning everything over again and again. They just want it to work.

Bill Arnold
10-24-2008, 4:27 PM
I bought a Gateway laptop earlier this year with Vista Home Premium 32-bit already installed. From what I had heard about Vista, I assumed I'd "downgrade" to XP. I took some time to get accustomed to Vista and haven't had any problem with it. There are a few features I prefer in XP and some I prefer in Vista, but I have no problem moving between machines.

Rick Read
10-28-2008, 1:17 PM
Hey Kurt, if you are confused over the User Account Controls of Windows Vista, I have found a resource that will pretty clearly explain the UAC to you and how you can adjust its settings to your liking. Please have a look over at the following link:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Understanding-User-Account-Control-Vista.html
Rick, Windows Outreach Team

glenn bradley
10-28-2008, 1:32 PM
So count at least one user here using Vista and loving it.

This is a good healthy example of how generic statements like; Linux or MAC OS are better than Windows are 'requirements ignorant'. Getting a Linux machine on our highly secure wireless net at work is a pain, MAC's almost fall right on to it butlack flexibility and Windows is a bit of effort and crashes no more or less than any Windows OS. We do not however, run critical, uptime-sensitive, services on Windows nor do we recommend MAC's for MS Office products ;-) Funny old world, ain't it? Right tool for the job ;-)