PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Mini Review Bosch 1587AVSP

John Hixon
10-21-2008, 7:17 PM
I just got a Bosch 1587AVSP, specially priced at the local Blue Borg, $99.

I have never owned anything other than Black & Decker or other cheap jig saws, so pardon my enthusiasm..

The kit comes with a bunch of blades, a pretty fair variety, and I left the store with the 10 blade combo kit as well. It has the standard metal shoe plate installed and comes with a plastic shoe plate (Which I immediately swapped out) and a little plastic filler for the hole through which the blade extends, that acts like a little zero clearance plate for straight ahead cutting.

I picked a blade and attacked some 3/4 oak plywood and the bottom was smoother and cleaner than my table saw, and that's pretty smooth. It was easy to handle, fairly quiet, and not a whole lot of vibration.

The blade changing routine will get some getting used to, it's a bit cludgey, pull up the latch on top and rotate counterclockwise three times. Install the blade and twist while pushing in, then rotate the latch clockwise until it clicks then snap it back in place. At least I don't have to look for a screwdriver.

All in all, I like it. :)

Von Bickley
10-21-2008, 7:22 PM
John,

Congratulations on the jig saw. A Bosch jig saw is one of the best. Bosch also makes a very good jig saw blade called the "Progressor".

Try it, you'll like it..... :)

Rick Moyer
10-21-2008, 8:29 PM
No tool I've ever bought has been as exceedingly better than what it replaced as has the 1587 that replaced the old B&D jigsaw. I still feel the same way whenever I use it. I suspect the balde change on the 1590 is better, but I've had no real problems with the 1587. LOVE the Bosch jigsaw!

Peter Quinn
10-21-2008, 8:53 PM
Glad you like yours. I like mine too. It has never failed me. The blade change is a bit annoying, and I like that aspect of the 1590 I use at work, but I prefer the lighter weight of the 1587 for many things. I wish they made the 1587 format with a quick blade change and the increased blade support like the 1590 or Metabo jig saws run, but that would probably push the price point way up.

Mine came bundled at that price with a free palm sander which is also a very good tool.

glenn bradley
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I can totally relate to your enthusiasm. After running a $20 Skil for years and then jumping to a 1591VS I was shocked. I had no idea that a jigsaw could be such a refined tool.

Chris Kennedy
10-22-2008, 6:24 AM
I wouldn't be without my 1587. I use it all the time. It is the only portable saw that I use. Since I bought it, my circ saw hasn't seen the outside of its case.

Also, the progressor blades are amazing. I read in PWW that Bosch has a new type of blade out, which I will have to try.

Enjoy.

Chris