PDA

View Full Version : Turning deer horns/antlers

Jeff Nicol
10-21-2008, 3:30 PM
This is my second post on SMC and I thought since I live in Wisconsin and it is archery season for the wiley whitetail, I would start out with my latest miniature lidded box turned from deer antler. It is 1 3/8" by 7/8" to the top of the finial. The finial is turned from brazilian rosewood.So here it is and thanks for the great forums!

Jeff

HOW MUCH WOOD WOULD A WOODCHUCK CHUCK IF HE HAD A LATHE?

Scott Conners
10-21-2008, 3:57 PM
Very cool! What did you use for tools? Home made? The only times I've worked with bone or antler it stank so bad I haven't had the urge to try it again...how bad is the smell doing lathe work?

Hilel Salomon
10-21-2008, 4:23 PM
Scott,
You have to turn them after they're detached from the deer... I think... Right?

Hilel Salomon
10-21-2008, 4:25 PM
Sorry Jeff, I pressed the return before I could type my real message which was NEAT!!!!!Other than not resisting the wisecrack, I too would like to know what you used.
Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2008, 4:33 PM
Jeff - that is really a nice little box! Great concept - really nice detail work. Hope to see you post more often!

Jeff Nicol
10-21-2008, 6:29 PM
Hey all! I am of the mindset if I can make it I will, but sometimes lack of patience forces me to buy some too! That said I have made tools out of old dental tools hardened nails and other items lurking in the 70+ drawers in my shop. I found that old circular saw and table saw blades make nice stock to cut little cutters out of and weld or braze to a piece of round or square rod to create a tool. I get in a hurry some times and I don't make nice handles for them but some day! The deer horn does have an odor is a little funky but if you don't get it to hot it is tolerable. I mount the horns for people and do european skull mounts also so I guess I am used to it.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2008, 6:59 PM
Welcome to SMC Jeff. Great looking box you have there. Well done.

robert hainstock
10-21-2008, 7:59 PM
Scott,
You have to turn them after they're detached from the deer... I think... Right?
Depends on how fast you can run Hilel.
Bob

Toney Robertson
10-21-2008, 8:25 PM
Jeff,

That is really cool.

A friend of mine gave me a deer antler but I have not done anything with it yet. I don't think I could approach anything like you have done.

Toney

Paul Douglass
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
That is really neat. Darn I wish those bases grew larger so the item would be big. I have many of thise buttons, my brother-in-law wants them, but just maybe he won't get them all....

Joel Ficke
10-22-2008, 1:40 PM
Way cool Jeff... thanks for posting and welcome to the creek. I'm from Bloomer...it's nice to see some local talent here.

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2008, 1:46 PM
Nice set of tools Jeff! Couldn't help but notice you're from Eau Claire! My folks both were from Durand - born and raised there! Try to get back and visit relatives each summer on way back from St. Paul - visiting our oldest son and his family. Small world!

Jeff Nicol
10-22-2008, 3:58 PM
Thank you all for the great response to my little box! I had a meeting set up with a local miniature club on Monday night as on of the members is a good customer of mine. So I got 30 finished to show them of all different styles shapes and materials. They bought 24 of them for a total of $214.00! I was floored! They said that next time I need to bring more! I was up in Bloomer last Friday, and my taxidermist lives in Durand! The world is truly small!

Jeff

Jason Christenson
10-23-2008, 4:35 PM
Very nice.

Do you have kids? If so have you been to Action City?

Jason

Jeff Nicol
10-26-2008, 9:36 PM
Jason, It seems that you and my son have the same first name! My Jason is in the Air Force stationed in Okinawa Japan and he loved action city before he shipped out. He will be 21 next month. My oldest daughter is 24 the next daughter is 23, then Jason and my youngest daughter is 19. So I have never been there myself but the kids all have. I am to busy in the shop, or if you ask the kids I am always asleep in my lazyboy! Thanks for asking!

Stay warm!

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
He Jeff, very nicely done, you could be showing my tools there :D, as I have a whole slew of similar ones, I have turned bone, not antler but the smell is probably very similar, anyway nice job, thanks for showing.

Oh I picked up (at a surplus store) some screwdriver bits, 6" long and those are chrome vanadium steel, they and concrete nails make nice toolsv:D