PDA

View Full Version : Walnut crotch.

Toney Robertson
10-21-2008, 3:18 PM
See, I do know that there is wood besides spalted maple! :D

Just finished this one. The wood was so nice that I did not even consider any embellishments. I thought that the best thing to do was a simple shape and get out of the woods way!

11" x 2 1/2", Antique oil and then buffed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/160-60.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/160-60C.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/160-60D.jpg
As always any comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2008, 3:26 PM
That is a beauty Toney. You are right it did not need a thing. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2008, 4:22 PM
Excellent! Beautiful wood and form! You are going to sign it, right?

Jim Becker
10-21-2008, 4:38 PM
Very nice execution on that one, Toney!

Keith Christopher
10-21-2008, 6:30 PM
Love the wood, the shape and over all design....personally I think it is a little thick, but regardless it looks real good.

Mike Vickery
10-21-2008, 6:51 PM
Beautiful piece!

Art Kelly
10-21-2008, 7:31 PM
Great piece! The robust grain pattern supports the robust bowl (or vice-versa).

I have a few pieces of walnut roughed out and seasoned and am about to finish them up. Was considering buffing, but was wondering what happens with the Beall "White Diamond" (i.e., Aluminum Oxide). Does it get into the pores, or did you skip the WD? Or what?

Thanks!
Art

Greg Just
10-21-2008, 8:01 PM
great bowl - wouldn't change a thing - nice job

Bill Bolen
10-21-2008, 8:03 PM
Toney I like everything about it.Especially how you kept the defect in as a feature...Well done...Bill..

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2008, 8:05 PM
Toney...the form...the finish....the wood....I like everything about it!

Toney Robertson
10-21-2008, 8:16 PM
Love the wood, the shape and over all design....personally I think it is a little thick, but regardless it looks real good.

Keith,

I would have like to turn it just a tad thinner but I was somewhat amazed that some of the bark held on like it did especially the small piece that was only held on at the bottom. I did not want to push it further and lose that piece in particular.

Toney

Toney Robertson
10-21-2008, 8:19 PM
Great piece! The robust grain pattern supports the robust bowl (or vice-versa).

I have a few pieces of walnut roughed out and seasoned and am about to finish them up. Was considering buffing, but was wondering what happens with the Beall "White Diamond" (i.e., Aluminum Oxide). Does it get into the pores, or did you skip the WD? Or what?

Thanks!
Art

Art,

I don't think you want to use the WD on walnut. I have been told that it will get into the grain. I believe them and so I have not tried it and probably never will. I don't want to screw up a good piece of walnut.

Toney

Toney Robertson
10-21-2008, 8:20 PM
Excellent! Beautiful wood and form! You are going to sign it, right?

Steve,

Yes, I will sign it but I have not gotten around to that yet.

Thanks,

Toney

Bill Mitchel
10-21-2008, 9:07 PM
Toney

When you look at the first picture with the smaller growth rings, with the angle it's cool how the rings carry through to the other side. Very nice!!

Bill

Dave Halter
10-21-2008, 9:50 PM
That is one beautiful piece of wood. I like what you did with it.

Larry Marley
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Very nice. I love it!

Keith Christopher
10-22-2008, 1:01 AM
Keith,

I would have like to turn it just a tad thinner but I was somewhat amazed that some of the bark held on like it did especially the small piece that was only held on at the bottom. I did not want to push it further and lose that piece in particular.

Toney

Toney,

I understand, don't get me wrong it is a wonderful piece. I just don't prefer thicker pieces (which is why I said personally). If you turn another with an inclusion or bark hanging on, don't forget your friend CA !!!

Keep on turning, it does look good.

Keith

Robert McGowen
10-22-2008, 1:14 AM
Very nice Toney. I like the way that you finished off the bottom.