PDA

View Full Version : The name of this wood? Mine!

Jason Tuinstra
05-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Okay, that sounds horrible. Children if you're listening, Dad's sorry for being so selfish. I'm just pretty stoked right now. :)

I just ordered my door panel wood for the Tall Cabinet from Maple Leaf Hardwoods. Paul did a great job in getting me this piece. Great guy! I guess he's running low right now on the highly figured cherry, but he managed to get me this board. He posted it last night in the "private stock" section so that I could see it before I gave him the okay. By the time I called him this morning to tell him "That's bad boy's mine" he had already had a few offers to take it off his hands. Alright, who was it? :D Tyler was that you? :p

Anyway, I know it's just a picture of a figured board, big deal, but I'm geeked to get the doors put together with this stock. We'll see how it turns out.

Jason

Todd Burch
05-21-2004, 1:01 PM
Pretty nice Jason - it has the look of heavy flame birch. Get those doors made!!

Mark Kelly
05-21-2004, 1:04 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Question: Do you have to do anything different in preparing the surface on a figured wood like this?

Jason Tuinstra
05-21-2004, 1:34 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Question: Do you have to do anything different in preparing the surface on a figured wood like this?

Mark great question. The answer is, it all depends. The grain has a lot to do with answering you question. I've planed curly cherry before and have had no problems with tear out. Other times, let's just say it was a bear.

I built a <A HREF="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curc@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/7003&.dnm=141c.jpg" TARGET="_blank">chest of drawers</A></EM></font> with highly figured cherry, especially the top drawers, and it fit into the "bear" category. I just took my time, misted the boards with water each time, and took thin cuts. It worked just fine and I got acceptable results.

I built the chest a few years ago, now I have performax so I'll plane the board pretty close to 3/4" and then finish it up with the drum sander. This takes a bit of the stress out of the equation.

Thanks for asking.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 2:15 PM
Very nice, Jason...I initially thought it was a nice piece of maple but then I've got maple coming out my ears right now so.... :)