PDA

View Full Version : The Woodworking Shows - feedback please.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2008, 2:26 PM
The Woodworking Show has had their first two shows of the 2008/2009 season in St. Paul and Portland, with the third Show scheduled this coming weekend (10/24 - 10/26) in Salt Lake City. There was talk last year about how the Shows would be better in 2008/2009, after the new owners had some time to work out the kinks. Those of us looking at the Show calendar would appreciate some feedback from people that have attended the early 2008/2009 Shows? Thanks.

glenn bradley
10-21-2008, 2:28 PM
I would like to hear as well. I'll be going in March(?). It's only a few bucks to get in so I'll probably go regardless but it's nice to go prepared.

Chris Schumann
10-21-2008, 4:52 PM
I went on the last day in Saint Paul. $9 at the door, cash only. In general, I think it's a rip-off to charge people to sell them access to vendors so they can buy things. IMHO, the vendors should pay (and I'm sure they do). If you buy online or in advance, I think tickets are $6.

There were some useful exhibits, but I didn't sit through any. You can find some deals, but nothing you can't get anywhere else. You might be able to see or try a few tools that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. The Veritas plans were really nice, and they had a full line at the show, for example.

If you plan to spend a lot of time there, it could be worth the price and time. If you'll just browse, browse online instead.

I bought a ZCI specifically for my table saw, and it's not close to the right size. (Have to call about that one.) Wood magazine gave out samples, and had an offer for 4 free issues.

Look at which vendors and exhibitors will be there and see if they match your interests.

Dave Falkenstein
10-23-2008, 4:32 PM
Bump. Only one person went to the two most recent Woodworking Shows???

Daniel Hillmer
10-23-2008, 5:02 PM
In Detroit, the Woodworking Show has lost their place this year at the Rock Financial Expo Center in Novi, MI (where it is usually held) and they are having it way up north in Mount Clemens, for some reason I don't know why.

And to replace it at the place where the old Woodworking Show was, there is a new woodworking show in town, it's called Woodworks:

I did notice a noticeable drop off in attendance in ’07 compared to ’06, and some of the local woodworking dealers I have talked to are going to woodworks not the woodworking show.

http://www.woodworksevents.com/

Cary Falk
10-23-2008, 6:53 PM
I went to the Portland show last weekend. I wnet about 3 years ago an was throughly disappointed. At the time I was looking for a planer and there were no good deals to be had. I spent about 1.5 hours there week last wondering around the various booths. Most of the booths were local with the exception of Peachtree and Woodline,and Lie Nielson(spelling?). None of the big tool mfgs. were there like Delta, Jet, etc, just local stores selling tools. I watched a Sawstop demo that was pretty impressive up close. I saw a pretty cool band saw fence called a MAG Fence (Al extruded fence with a lever to engage a magnet to hold it to the table) that the guys that were doing the Carter bandsaw accessories were using.

I wantde to se the new Unisaw but since Delta was not there, no dice. I had to pay $7 for parking and luckily had a free admission coupon from FWW or it would have been another $9. I got a couple of magazines for free and a FWW bag for free. I wasn't as disappointed as the first one I went to but this time I had lowered expectations. The last one I went to at least Delta had a huge stand. I told myself I wasn't going this year but I wanted to get out of the house. Next year I will probably stay home

Andy Haney
10-23-2008, 8:38 PM
Dave,

Haven't been yet this year, but I will be there. There may be a good deal here or there...maybe not. I always enjoy visiting with a concentrated group of woodworkers. I learn new lies every year!

Andy

Greg Ware
10-23-2008, 9:40 PM
Attended the Salt Lake show today. I was more than a little dissapointed. Not very many vendors. This was my first ww show so I do not know how many would make a good show, but for the price of admission it was dissapointing. I did find a couple of ok deals on a couple router bits I was looking for and a piece of aluminum angle for my router table fence. The classes/demonstrations I went to were way to heavy on the sales and advertising side and very lite on the education/skill side. On the positive side, I did do a lot of drueling. A lot of very nice tools to add to my wish list. If I was to decide to go or not, knowing what I know now, I don't think I would go, unless the admission fee was alot less.

gware

Mike Heidrick
10-23-2008, 10:02 PM
I attend the collinsville IL show in Feb. It is fun. I do not put too many requirements on it. I am pretty easy going when it comes to spending time looking at all things WW related.

Mark Elmer
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

I am considering going to the show in Salt Lake City tomorrow with one of my woodworking buddies. He has been at "Mouse World" all week with his grandkids so I am betting he can use some diversion to decompress.

I am going with reserved expectations an not really shopping for anything in particular. I am willing to invest about what I would otherwise spend on a movie ticket.

I'll make a report if I do indeed go.

Dave Falkenstein
10-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Cary - Thanks for the feedback.

It is really disappointing to hear that there are no major vendors again this year. IMHO, it is the big guys, like Delta, PC, Dewalt, Steel City, Jet, etc make the Show interesting. I had heard last year that there would be many more big vendors, like there used to be. I guess it is not to be. More reports, please, especially from the Shows that people have attended this past month.

Daniel - In my experience, Woodworks is a small show. There are only three Woodworks shows scheduled for the entire season at this point.

Vic Castello
10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I went to the one in Somerset, N.J. last year with a friend. I'm mostly a carver and he's mostly a turner. There were a few interesting exhibitors, but we were not overly impressed with the show overall. Based on the number of commercial vehicles I saw in the parking lot, I think a large number of professional carpenter's/woodworkers really like these shows the most because they can find good deals on heavy duty power tools and other equipment there. But, I think that the hobbyist who specializes in one or two areas might be better off spending their time at events or in stores more specific to their particular interest....in my case, carving shows. My friend also observed that over the years at these particular shows, there are a lot more independent booths selling "gadgets", and fewer major manufacturers.

fRED mCnEILL
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I live in Canada (Vancouver) so don't have access to the same shows you do.
But I look on our show like going to a movie. Its a few hours of entertaniment and sometimes its good and sometmies not so good.And if you really like it you can re-enter for free (try that at a movie)

My criteria for it being good or not seems to be if I buy something.(other than consumables like sandpaper) And I generally only buy something at the show I can't get locally in the stores.

I DON"T go to the show with the intent of getting a bargain but rather with the intent of seeing some new product that I didn't know I needed. I don't care about the latest Bosch 36 v drill because I can see those at my local dealer.

This year our show moved into a new facility that gave it a much more professional feeling and because the venue was larger it wasn't as crowded. That was nice.

Incidently, a few years ago my neigbor and I decided to go to the woodworking show in Seattle because we thought it would be bigger and better. Nope, not as good so maybe some of you should try and catch a show in Canada(if you live close)

Fred M

Jim Becker
10-24-2008, 9:29 AM
Dave, since the Ft. Washington Convention Center was converted to offices, all the "hobbyist" shows moved a lot farther away from me so I haven't been to one in a couple years. This is a tough time for these kind of events and has been for a few years. At this point, I enjoy the "industrial" woodworking shows better simply because they have many kewel things to look at that you never see at the consumer shows. I don't generally go to a show to buy anything, either, as with rare exceptions, online deals are the same or better. One exception would be if there is intent to buy something from one of the Euro manufacturers...pre-ordering at the show price and taking delivery at the show can be a very, very good deal. I've done that a couple times. :)

Mark Singer
10-24-2008, 9:32 AM
Jim,
We have one here in Costa Mesa next week. I am planing to go and I will report back. I am just shopping and looky lewing:rolleyes:

John Thompson
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I have been going to Shows for quite a number of years, Dave. I can remember about 5-6 years ago in Atlanta (not IWF but the yearly spring show) that about all the vendors of major machinery showed.. PM.. Jet.. Delta.. Mini-max.. Laguna.. Felder.. etc. But.. that was 5 years ago.

Since... the manufacturers have been fewer and far between as why go to a show which cost them a great deal to transport.. set up.. tear down and return when everyone just buys on-line. It's jjust not cost effective for them anymore and especially so with the current economy.

And this isn't isolted to just the small, local shows. I saw a decrease in traffic at the International WW Show in Atlanta in August. In this case probably because of the economy as normally the big Shows in Atlanta and Las Vegas (alternate years so each has one every other year) see's manufacturers from all over the world.

But.. there was talk among them how % of traffic had decreased over the last couple of Major Shows and to the point a couple of big boys didn't even bother to come to that show. If the economy stays where it is at this point.. I expect to see more and more of that attitude in the coming years.

The small shows are fine for seeing and picking up small items as those vendors will usaully show up.. but don't expect to see a lot of major machine vendors as "the times are a changing" to coin a phrase from Bob Dylan.

Sarge..

glenn bradley
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
The recurring theme I hear is "looking for deals". I would expect disappointment if this is your reson for going as this is not the purpose of the shows. There are some deals to be had. I've gotten a few myself but, for me the shows are more for exposure to items side-by-side that I wouldn't see otherwise. They are not a swap meet. It would be a rare thing for me to lay my hands on an Agazzani, Felder, Laguna or Mini Max outside a show. I also love being able to go back and forth and back and forth between the LV and LN booths ;-)

Rolf Maxa
10-24-2008, 1:00 PM
I attended my first Woodworking show in Buffalo NY last year. It was small, and did not have any of the major vendors there. It did not see a lot of people attend what I could see. Not sure I will attend another one in Buffalo. I would like to try a larger venue.

Tom Thompson
10-24-2008, 1:22 PM
I attended the St Paul show a couple weeks ago, all 3 days. I attend them every year. I don't go "looking for deals". I go to learn from the demonstrations and classes. Every year I pick up a lot of new ideas and it is definately worth the $9 admission.

If the only reason you are going is to "find a deal". Maybe it won't be worth it to you. You can probably find better deals by spending hours on the internet searching out that clearance someone is having. I prefer to see hands-on the demonstrations and be able to touch the tools. Plus I am usually buying from the inventor or company that makes it. If I have problems I'm not trying to go through some internet store that isn't even a licensed dealer of that product. How many times do you get to go to a website and actually talk to the inventor of the product, or the person who owns the company? These are the people I'll support and if I spend an extra $10 bucks, so what? I got more valuable information talking to that person about the use and design of the product than I could ever get elsewhere.

Oh, did I spend any money, yeah LOTS. Sommerfeld tools got a lot of money, as usual. Jerry Cole has a new taper jig and got my money (even though I could have got it for $5 less online at Peachtree in October). I got to have it demo'd, explained and got 20 minutes of hands-on how to use this. Plus some throw-ins. That sure was worth it to me. Sad thing was Jerry packed up real early on Sunday saying if things don't get better he won't be doing many more shows. That would be a real shame, he's a staple and has great products with the Dubby, etc.

For those looking for the large iron purchases, show up early on Friday. Almost all of the demonstration tools are for sale and have a 10-25% savings.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but everyone has to make money. If we don't support the WW shows and the vendors who are there, they WILL go away. Then we won't have access to these people and and their products with a hands-on experience.

Tom

John Thompson
10-24-2008, 4:16 PM
I did I spend any money, yeah LOTS. Sommerfeld tools got a lot of money, as usual. Jerry Cole has a new taper jig and got my money (even though I could have got it for $5 less online at Peachtree in October). I got to have it demo'd, explained and got 20 minutes of hands-on how to use this. Plus some throw-ins. That sure was worth it to me. Sad thing was Jerry packed up real early on Sunday saying if things don't get better he won't be doing many more shows. That would be a real shame, he's a staple and has great products with the Dubby, etc.

Tom

I take it Jerry Cole is Dubby. I saw the taper jig you mentioned at P'tree WW a couple of weeks ago as they are just 12 miles down the street from me here in the Atlanta area. That is probably the nicest taper jig I have seen come along in 38 years and I wanted one. But.. being a cheap*ss I decided to build it and substiture the metal fence with either Baltic ply or UHMW. I have several large hold downs on hand.. T-nuts.. etc. So... I should be able to reproduce it for under $10 with the things I already have.

Good luck with it and enjoy as it is definitely one nice taper jig. And BTW.. does Dubby or Jerry Cole have their own web-site?

Sarge..

Tom Thompson
10-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, Jerry Cole is Dubby. His company is In-Line Industries. http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

John Thompson
10-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Yes, Jerry Cole is Dubby. His company is In-Line Industries. http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

Thanks Tom... I have seen In-line around awhile but did not put that together as a match with Dubby. And now I know....

Regards...

Sarge..

Mark Elmer
10-25-2008, 2:12 AM
Hi all,

I went to the Salt Lake City area Wood Working Show today. I had the postcard that they sent me several weeks ago and by showing it I got in for $7. My friend who didn't get the postcard bought his ticket online and he got in for $6 but I got a couple of freebies by redeming coupons that were printed along the bottom of the postcard so I came out a little ahead. :D

This is my first time attending such a show so I don't have any history to compare to.

All in all it was a pretty good afternoon. I spent what I would spend on a movie ticket. I got to spend the afternoon with a friend and while I was there I met up with some of the guys from my woodturning club.

I also got reaquainted with an old friend I haven't seen for 15 years. He's an industrial arts teacher in a special program with one of the Utah school districts and I have an open invitation to come and see the 8000 sq ft shop that he works in. He only has four students. The program provides an alternative learning environment for some kids that don't fit into the regular school progam. So they have this shop where they build cabinets, bookcases and etc. for the schools in the district. The kids are basicly the "slave labor" but they come away with a valuable skill to help get them into a job after they get out of the program.

Two of the local woodworking stores were there with displays of the "big iron" tools and Crafts Supply USA from Provo, Utah was there with a display and a hands on penturning opportunity for anyone who wanted to sign up and wait for one of the lathes to become available. They seemed to keep those lathes pretty busy with folks making their first handturned pens.

I didn't spend to much money. I bought a little collet kit for my Kreg pocket hole jig from www.snappytools.com (http://www.snappytools.com) which will make swaping from drilling to driving quicker.

My friend picked up a kit to build a pretty nice fence for the router table that he's building.

During a little bit of a lull toward closing up time I had a chance to talk to a man from www.sommerfeldtools.com (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com) and when I asked him about how well the shows do for them he said that it takes several years of building up the show in each city. I asked him about the Phoenix show and he said the last one had been scheduled between two west coast shows and many of the smaller vendors had skipped it because they didn't like the long drive to Phoenix and then back to the west coast. He was dissapointed in the way this turned out because he said the Phoenix show for him had been getting stronger each time and he was hoping that the build would continue. Now he feel that Phoenix "Is back to square one".

My ticket is actually good for tomorrow too if I want to go back but I think I'll go down into the shop tomorrow with my sons and see if we can't make some sawdust.

If the show comes back next year I will go again because I like seeing what's new and I like supporting the companies who take the time to bring their wares to us.

If I had an extra thousand dollars of mad money I'd have probably bought a few new tools like "The Flatmaster" from www.stockroomsupply.com (http://www.stockroomsupply.com) and then a few things from the vendor that was there with quite a bit of stuff from Carter to upgrade my bandsaw.

I'll likely spring for a ChestMate dovetail jig at some point from www.praziusa.com (http://www.praziusa.com) the simplicity of it is what I am looking for. The man who demonstrated it said that in a couple of months they will have a mortising accessory for it as well.

Dave Falkenstein
10-25-2008, 11:03 AM
...During a little bit of a lull toward closing up time I had a chance to talk to a man from www.sommerfeldtools.com (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com) and when I asked him about how well the shows do for them he said that it takes several years of building up the show in each city. I asked him about the Phoenix show and he said the last one had been scheduled between two west coast shows and many of the smaller vendors had skipped it because they didn't like the long drive to Phoenix and then back to the west coast. He was dissapointed in the way this turned out because he said the Phoenix show for him had been getting stronger each time and he was hoping that the build would continue. Now he feel that Phoenix "Is back to square one"....

Mark - Thanks for the report and especially the insight into one person's perspective on the Phoenix area Show. The Phoenix Show has gone through some ups and downs over the years. The old location was the Fairgrounds, and some vendors were not happy there. The Show quit Phoenix altogether for a year or two, and Woodworks tried it. Then the Show came back to another location at Westworld in Scottsdale, which some vendors apparently still don't like. And this year they moved the Show to Tucson, which is a half day round-trip drive at best for people in Phoenix. This is not the way to take several years to build up the Show in the 5th largest city in the country. Yikes.

Paul Steiner
10-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I have been the past couple of years and I would say that the size of the show has decreased. Also you see alot of the same stuff and there are not that many deals on machines. If you are like me and enjoy seeing and talking tools, you still enjoy it. But there are deals to be had, I bought a Kreg kit and got extras and a rebate. Also it is nice to be able to see and buy things that you generally would have to buy out of a catalog, especially small odds and ends. Two years ago I spent a whole afternoon there, this past year I spent an hour and a half. But I will going back in the future.

Burt Waddell
10-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Dave,

During a recent convesation with DIno, I picked up some interesting info. It seems that the sponsors of the Woodworking Shows want to do a Special educational seminar on the "deadwood concept". They'll be talking about the EZ and other tools that comply with the deadwood concept. I understand that they will also have EZ equipment available.

Burt