PDA

View Full Version : Yes, lady, plastic prices have gone up!

Joe Pelonio
10-21-2008, 1:54 PM
I was just at my local plastic supplier and heard his conversation with a customer that I found sad but familiar, and thought I'd relate it to you and see if you all have the same problem.

Apparently he'd left a voice mail quote for a retail fabrication job, and she was calling back. It was an exact repeat of an order she had placed 4 years ago, and she wanted it for the same price as before. By the time he was finished, about 15 minutes, he had to explain that acrylic is made from petroleum, that it has to be shipped to him, that rent has gone up 4 times, that the cost of labor has gone, up, even down to utilities and other overhead. Even then she insisted that he should do it for the old price.
His response was that he was not going to do any job where he made
nothing. He finally offered a small per-item discount if they could take an extra week to make them and she had to take it or leave it. She has to "think about it." :mad:

Gary Hair
10-21-2008, 3:19 PM
What makes people think that is OK? Try walking in to your local supermarket and ask for prices that are from 4 years ago. How about asking to take your groceries home and "bill me"...

I better stop there and not get too high on my soapbox.

Gary

Bill Morrison
10-21-2008, 5:21 PM
I'm surprised that someone can remember quotes from four years ago. It was nice that he even took the time to explain why the prices are higher. If you buy something at a lumber yard or get a quote on a job they tell you that quote is for 30 days only. Even if the material stayed at the same price, now the shipping charges change very quick. When I called about the price for my shopbot it had gone up 100 dollars just for the shipping charges from the week before.

Bill

Scott Challoner
10-21-2008, 5:45 PM
My supplier for 1/4" green edge acrylic just went up 50%. Ouch.
Now that oil is back down, I can't wait for the prices to go back to where they were.:rolleyes:

Scott Erwin
10-21-2008, 5:51 PM
That was the special introductory price....

Now with things going up and such and she still wants to pay 4 year old pricing...no problem....with the devaluation of the dollar, the $10 she spent 4 years ago was only now worth only $5.12, so she needs to come up with the difference since her dollar was no longer worth a dollar. --

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2008, 9:38 PM
with the devaluation of the dollar, the $10 she spent 4 years ago was only now worth only $5.12, so she needs to come up with the difference since her dollar was no longer worth a dollar.

Well, she could buy it in Canada, where her U.S.$ is worth $1.20 Cdn today! :D

Joe Pelonio
10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, she could buy it in Canada, where her U.S.$ is worth $1.20 Cdn today! :D
Really? It's flipped around again? We'll have to start going back up there.