PDA

View Full Version : got a new band saws steel city 14"

ROCKY D PATTON
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
:) i went and look at the steel city 14" band saw i know bigger is better but got to have a saw under 70" TALL so i got the saw sat day still working on getting together.it has the granite top .i will let every body knows if the granite was a good way to go. got it for 749.00 after instane rebate of 150. off thanks for everybody reply

Mike McCann
10-21-2008, 1:45 PM
Rocky

I have the same saw. It is great everything lined up right out of the crate.

ROCKY D PATTON
10-21-2008, 1:48 PM
mike i did alot of looking around on the web about this and didnt find out alot about steel city tools i hope this is a good saw

Mike McCann
10-21-2008, 2:56 PM
Rocky

go to the search on here the google one and type in steel city band saw. There are a bunch of threads on the saw to review.

John Thompson
10-21-2008, 5:33 PM
It's an excellent saw Rocky. I was fortunate enough to work with Steel City during the International Woodworking Show in Atlanta about a month or so ago demonstrating their machines. Well built and backed by a 5 year warranty on the saw and 10 years on the granite top.

Enjoy.. ya done good.

Sarge..

Graham Skinner
10-21-2008, 6:29 PM
I have the steel City 14" bandsaw with the cast iron table (It cost me $799 CND + taxes for the standard saw so it looks like you have a good deal on your hands if you can get the granite top version for less than that).
Once you get it set up right it will give you great performance, with a 1/2" 3 skip tooth blade it cuts 3" sugar maple like a knife through butter.
Have not tried sawing realy thick stock yet, but I am sure it will come through with flying colours, just will have to slow the feed rate down a bit.
I have a kreg fence (very good product but costs a fair bit of cash).
Also have the riser block on it, if you intend to do the same you will need to get some 105" blades.
This saw also comes as standard with cast iron wheels, and also a portable base that works very well
For the money, I dont think that there is a better 14" bandsaw on the market IMO.

hope this helps...Cheers Graham...

ROCKY D PATTON
10-21-2008, 8:27 PM
thanks for all the reveiws on the saws almost got it ready to go :) for the money i think it is a nice saw

Adam Cavaliere
11-20-2008, 9:46 AM
Rocky,

How do you like the fence? I am debating between getting the model with the granite top which comes with a fence, or getting the cast iron top and purchasing a third party fence. I like the idea of the granite, but want to know if the fence is nice enough to go with. If it isn't, I'd rather save the money on the granite top and spend it on a higher quailty fence.