PDA

View Full Version : First Hello !!

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Just want to indroduce myself to the group. I am relatively new to woodworking in the past year or so. I have been working on projects around the house for many years and I'm finally able to dedicate time and money to something I have been wanting to do for almost 15 years. It is amazing what a career, wife, and family will do to your free time.

I am setting up a shop in my basement in Glastonbury CT and I'm currently taking classes at the Woodcraft in Manchester, Ct and on a tool buying spree. I have already purhased a Delta CS, Delta DJ20, Dewalt CMS, and various smaller tools.

I still have to picK up MM or Laguna, Cyclone system, Router, Hand planes.... This hobby sure is expensive !!

My interests in woodworking are cabinets and buit-ins, and mantle clocks.

Thanks and I look forward to particpating in the future !!

Rich Konopka

Gary Whitt
05-21-2004, 12:26 PM
From one newbie to another; WELCOME! :eek: :)

This is definitely an expensive hobby, but if quality tools are bought the first time, you usually won't be replacing them.
I just re-allocated my entertainment funds :rolleyes: to be able to buy WW stuff. ;)

As you build, post some pics.....

Jason Tuinstra
05-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Rick. Sounds like you have a good eye for good tools. You have a good eye for good forums as well. Lot's of great people here with even better advice and encouragment. Welcome aboard.

Jason

Jerry Olexa
05-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Money spent on quality tools is the right direction. Cheaper tools generally fail or don't deliver the results u want and you have to spend the $ later anyway to upgrade to what u should have bought the 1st time. Enjoy your hobby Jerry

Tyler Howell
05-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Welcome Rich,

Now that's how it's done! Stand up guy, comes in, puts his tools on the bench.:cool:

Sorry Rich, we've had trouble lately with lurkers :mad: standing on the banks, won't get wet, don't bring any pictures.

They're welcome but they have dues to pay.

Great bunch of folks here. Very talented in many ways.;)

Todd Burch
05-21-2004, 1:03 PM
Welcome Rich. You got that right about being an expensive hobby... it's an expensive business too!

Jim Becker
05-21-2004, 1:46 PM
Welcome aboard, Rich. Great place to hang out.

BTW, don't thing in terms of expense. Think "investment"...:D

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 1:48 PM
Welcome, Rich...don't be afraid to get your feet wet!

BTW, don't think in terms of investment. Think "fun"...:D

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 3:46 PM
From one newbie to another; WELCOME! :eek: :)

This is definitely an expensive hobby, but if quality tools are bought the first time, you usually won't be replacing them.
I just re-allocated my entertainment funds :rolleyes: to be able to buy WW stuff. ;)

As you build, post some pics.....
Gary:

Thanks for the welcome!! I am focusing on purchasing the best tools available. Have you taken any classes? I have found them to be so valuable in tool selection and learning safety, proper operation, and also many tricks that would take years to learn.

Thanks Again

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 3:51 PM
Thanks Jason !! One of my other dreams is to go to the Indy 500 and hear "Gentlemen Start Your Engines" on a Memorial Day Weekend!! I'll even sing "Back home in Indiana" :D

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 3:54 PM
Money spent on quality tools is the right direction. Cheaper tools generally fail or don't deliver the results u want and you have to spend the $ later anyway to upgrade to what u should have bought the 1st time. Enjoy your hobby JerryJerry:

Thanks for the welcome. I had a 4 1/2 finger Uncle who has since passed on teach me that you always want to get the best tool you can't afford.

Thanks Again,

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 4:01 PM
Welcome Rich,

Now that's how it's done! Stand up guy, comes in, puts his tools on the bench.:cool:

Sorry Rich, we've had trouble lately with lurkers :mad: standing on the banks, won't get wet, don't bring any pictures.

They're welcome but they have dues to pay.

Great bunch of folks here. Very talented in many ways.;)
Thanks Tyler. I am not a bashful guy and promise to share some pictures. I also plan on doing some writeup on my research on bandsaw's and some of my other tools. My shop is almost there as well.

Thanks Again for the welcome,

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 4:08 PM
Thanks Todd !! I'm not sure if woodworking or my kids are more expensive at this point. I probably could go less expensive route. But what the heck their good kids.

Thanks for the Greetings,

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 4:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Rich. Great place to hang out.

BTW, don't thing in terms of expense. Think "investment"...:D
Thanks Jim !! You're absolutely right. It is an Investment. My Stock broker convinced me to go with this stock. So I took the plunge (Literally) this afternoon.

http://www.woodpeck.com/lsrspk5.html

My computer background kicked in and the logic was: Build my own table with Norm's or the Jessem plans or buy a prebuilt cabinet. Being a newbie, I knew I didn't have the skills just yet to build. I wanted precision, dependability, and repeatability in a router system so I plunged. How many guys build their own table saws?

Thanks for the Welcome aboard,

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 4:23 PM
Welcome, Rich...don't be afraid to get your feet wet!

BTW, don't think in terms of investment. Think "fun"...:D
Thanks Chris !! I saw your thread on the MM20. Sweeeet!!! I am really looking hard at the MM16 and have been talking to MM for almost 3 weeks. I heard their customer service is just as incredible as their saws. I look forward to your comments.

Best Regards,

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 4:51 PM
Thanks Jim !! You're absolutely right. It is an Investment. My Stock broker convinced me to go with this stock. So I took the plunge (Literally) this afternoon.

http://www.woodpeck.com/lsrspk5.html

My computer background kicked in and the logic was: Build my own table with Norm's or the Jessem plans or buy a prebuilt cabinet. Being a newbie, I knew I didn't have the skills just yet to build. I wanted precision, dependability, and repeatability in a router system so I plunged. How many guys build their own table saws?

Thanks for the Welcome aboard,
Rich,

That system is a NICE set up. I have the Twin Linear, PRL, Table top, blue legs, and drawers. You will love the accuracey AND repeatability. I also have an Incra fence on my Grizzly table saw. I'm curious, what pitch did you go with on the PRL? I have the 32...takes forever to move it up and dow but you have very tight control over the height of your bits. Nothing like a tiny little crank to cut a groove just a skosh deepr.

Enjoy and a early happer father's day?? ;)

Alan Turner
05-21-2004, 5:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Rich. Money spent on tools is well spent indeed.

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 5:36 PM
Rich,

That system is a NICE set up. I have the Twin Linear, PRL, Table top, blue legs, and drawers. You will love the accuracey AND repeatability. I also have an Incra fence on my Grizzly table saw. I'm curious, what pitch did you go with on the PRL? I have the 32...takes forever to move it up and dow but you have very tight control over the height of your bits. Nothing like a tiny little crank to cut a groove just a skosh deepr.

Enjoy and a early happer father's day?? ;)

I got the new Unilift at 32. I already got the email notice that it shipped. I placed the order at lunch. That is service !!

Rich Konopka
05-21-2004, 5:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Rich. Money spent on tools is well spent indeed.
Thanks Alan, I made the mistake of buying the Delta Contractor Saw and then realizing that it won't be easy hooking it up to a DC. Dooooh!

I vowed not to make that mistake again. Who know's maye some day it will be come my Dado Table.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2004, 8:21 PM
Welcome Rich! I landed here around the first of the year and think I may have found a home! Lots of interesting people not afraid to exchange ideas, information and opinions! From pros to beginners.......they are all here! Don't be afraid to ask or inject! Again.......Welcome!

John Miliunas
05-21-2004, 9:36 PM
Rich, great to have you at the Creek! :D Sounds like you're off to a super start with your tools. Seems that you're learning one of the most important "woodworking" lessons right off the bat: Get good equipment to start with! (Yeah, I'm one of those guys who learned that the hard way! :( ) Anyhow, we *will* be expecting shop and/or projects pics! Oh, and I note that you haven't included anything which turns horizontally at a high rate of speed. Yup, talkin' about one o' them spinny things! May as well face it early on and start looking for a lathe, too! :D :cool:

Rich Konopka
05-23-2004, 8:34 AM
Rich, great to have you at the Creek! :D Sounds like you're off to a super start with your tools. Seems that you're learning one of the most important "woodworking" lessons right off the bat: Get good equipment to start with! (Yeah, I'm one of those guys who learned that the hard way! :( ) Anyhow, we *will* be expecting shop and/or projects pics! Oh, and I note that you haven't included anything which turns horizontally at a high rate of speed. Yup, talkin' about one o' them spinny things! May as well face it early on and start looking for a lathe, too! :D :cool:
Thanks for the Welcome John !! I made the mistake of purchasing the Delta Contractor saw and then realizing it does not have an ideal solution for dust collection. I vowed to take my time and do my reasearch. Actually, that is how I stumbled upon this little gem of a community.

I have considered a lathe and will look at it down the road. I do have a spot in my shop for one as well. My local woodcraft has at least 3 classes on turning. I did a little turning in HS and real enjoyed it.

Thanks again for the hello !!

Gary Whitt
05-24-2004, 10:20 AM
No, Rich, I haven't taken any classes yet.
That is on my list. We have two Community Colleges close by.
Right now,I try to watch others and then NOT repeat their mistakes!!! :D