PDA

View Full Version : Will LN Hot Dog fit LV LA Jack?

Will Blick
10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Does anyone have the LN Hot Dog attachment for shooting...I am curious if it will fit on my LV BU Jack?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/62HDclose.jpg

Joe Vincent
10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Not sure if it will fit, but I seem to recall that forum member Derek Cohen makes and sells custom hot dog handles.

Will Blick
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I checked with Derek first, he had no more in stock....

its one of those items that is useful, but would take too long to make just one....

Derek Cohen
10-21-2008, 1:21 PM
Hi Will

Unfortunately, the side profile for a LN/Stanley plane is different from a LV plane. So they are not interchangeable.

I will make more in a few months - not enough time at present. I have a few ideas to improve them still further. Keep in touch with me.

Don't forget that there are a couple of tutorials on my website. Make your own!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Will Blick
10-21-2008, 6:18 PM
Derek, its time to start a "wait" list for certain products.... sign me up first....

the little shop time I can afford, I don't want to make such a specialty item, plus, I know it will never look, or feel like, the one you make!

Shannon Vincent
10-22-2008, 4:45 AM
Yes,please throw another dog on the grill for me also!:DI would love to have a Derek Cohen original.That would be cool.:)....And a bowsaw from Dave Anderson(soon I hope),a rehabbed plane from Johnny Kleso,a work of art from Mark Singer,a chisel or two from Bob Smalser,a plane from Phillip Marcou,a saw from Mike Wenzloff(will order one soon also)....
I think it is awesome to be able to read and learn so much from all of you, AND be able to own something from each of you skilled craftsmen.Makes me feel like I am part of something pretty special.I hope someday I get to meet and maybe create something with at least some of the people on this forum.Just felt like expressing my appreciation.Hope it was OK to single some folks out.:confused:

Will Blick
10-22-2008, 6:24 AM
> Yes,please throw another dog on the grill for me also!

Good one! :rolleyes:

I like the idea of wait listed items.... it will give craftsmen here an incentive to make extra run of these specialty items. There is some economies of scale, as it does not take 20x longer to make 20 pieces, vs. 1 piece. Maybe 10x longer :-)

But more importantly, it's nice to own useful products from our fellow Creekers...

Doug Shepard
10-22-2008, 7:11 AM
Anybody added one on their LA Jack yet and is it worth the $60 upgrade?

Dave Verstraete
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow! I'm learning things today. I thought the only "woodworking" hot dogs would have a Sawstop attached to it.

Will Blick
10-22-2008, 8:31 PM
Hey, its not just hot dogs, check out Dereks Donkey Ears too....

Toss a few of those on the Barbie as well!

(see Derek, us Americans are adapting the Aussie lingo :-) Even though we sound like dorks when we say it....

Mark Roderick
10-23-2008, 8:19 AM
As someone who uses a LN low-angle jack for shooting boards and just became aware of this accessory, I would think yes, it's probably worth it. I'm going to buy one, anyway.

Greg Cole
10-23-2008, 8:58 AM
Toss a few of those on the Barbie as well!
(see Derek, us Americans are adapting the Aussie lingo :-) Even though we sound like dorks when we say it....

With the capitalization it kinda looks like you're referring to the little girls dolls.....:rolleyes:
Now if we all start calling sheet rock gyp-rock.... tho' I do like the Bob's your uncle.

I too am getting close to buying either the LN or LV LA jack...... so I like to keep an eye on these threads.

Doug Shepard
10-23-2008, 8:59 AM
I decided to pull the trigger yesterday. I've used the LA Jack for shooting a few times and think I'd probably do more of it once I make a better shooting board. I can see where the top dog handle might make for a vertically straighter sole. I think the regular tote being off to the side makes it easy to push a very slight tilt against the wood.