PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me on Pushdrills Please

Wallis Hampson
10-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I am wanting to pickup a pushdrill or two (or 10) :rolleyes: but am totally ignorant of the choices. Mainly I want to use it for drilling small holes for hinges and driving screws and such without breaking out the cordless drill. I like the thought of the spring loaded ones but there may be a disadvantage there that I'm not aware of. I have also noticed that alot of them (maybe all?) have the proprietary bits that you have to use and I would like to have at least one without that for small drill bits etc. I have a Miller Falls 2a hand drill but for smaller stuff, I'd like to go this route.

In the end, my goal would be to have a few different ones with dedicated bits in them for the task at hand and not have to be swapping them much.

Brands and models that you guys know are good and advice on the spring loaded ones would be very much appreciated.

Robert Parrish
10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I have a Stanley Yankee that I bought 30 years ago and I use it a lot for small holes and drilling in tight places. It is all metal construction. They also make a plastic model. Both of these are currently unavailable from Amazon.

John Dykes
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Can't help you at all...

However, I did happen to read the chapter on awls last night in my "Handplane Essentials" book (a chapter I'd skipped until now figuring I'd never use an awl!). In reading your post, it made me think (again, with full admission of ignorance) that this application is the very purpose of a "birdcage awl" - at least the small holes part.

A quick search popped up a Popular Woodworking blog by Chris Schwartz that describes this in minor detail (hesitant to post the link). The maker of this awl was Dave Anderson.

Just a thought I suppose...

- jbd in Denver

Bill Houghton
10-21-2008, 4:43 PM
Lots of different makers - what you'll find the most of in the wild is North Bros, bought by Stanley after WWII. So far as I know, all push drills have proprietary shanks, which is the problem, and the reason that I recommend buying a North Bros or Stanley push drill - you can find the bits. These have a little chunk taken out of the shank (like a very, very small shark bite), into which a ball fits when the chuck is tightened.

Goodell Pratt, various manifestations of Sears, etc., used a cruciform shank, which is way cool, but the bits are very very hard to find (and if I ever find any, you can't have them, because I've got probably four of various brands I need bits for).

I've paid as little as $1 and as much as $7 for a North Bros/Stanley with bits. Open up the bit storage in the handle before buying - it's amazing how many of these are out there with no bits, or with two bits, or with bits that have been broken off and, for some reason, put back in storage. You want 8, in progressive sizes, of which the small end of the 8 is the useful end.

Push drills are truly fine tools for what they do well, which is predominantly holes for hardware installation.

Johnny Kleso
10-21-2008, 5:48 PM
I have a good number of Yankee/Stanley no.41 Drills

But I think that the Pratt-Goodell/Miller Falls drills are better because they have a stiffer spring in them but finding bits for this might be harder than finding Yankee Bits but if you can find a MF Drill and bits they are always cheaper..

Most people will pay double for a good set of bits over the same set of bits with the drill..

I have seen a tube of 8 bits sell for $75 plus for a month striaght at ebay

PG/MF drills have two grooves that fit the drill while Yankee has a ross geoove and tooth at top that locks bit into drill..

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2008, 6:50 PM
I have some 41s and some MF drills. My favorite is the MF 185. All metal body, uses yankee style bits and has a very cool feature. In addition to storing the bits in the handle, it has 8 sizing holes in the handle, so you can verify the size of a particular bit.

I'll also echo what the others have said. The MF bits seem to be harder to find - unless you find them with a drill. You do see MF 188s with bits in them fairly regularly.

Yankee bits seem to be much more common - with the model 41 being the most popular/common. I've also seen 43s (I think they have a nylon insert for bit storage, which is actually kind of nice if you're worried about scratches - which I frankly don't care about). The model 44 has an adustable tension spring for drill into materials of different density. I haven't seen many in good shape.

I just got home and paged through the new Garrett Wade catalog. They're selling a new version of the 41 with 8 bits for $49.95. You can do better than that even if you buy a Stanley or NB in mint condition.

Edit: Check out auction 310087227527 on the bay. It's a MF 185. Only 3 bits and they sound damaged, but its $14 for a buy it now price. It looks like its in good shape. Not recommending you buy it, but it will give you can find out there.

Jeff Myer
10-21-2008, 7:06 PM
I just bought one of these http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43411,43417&p=57809 a short while ago and it expands the versatility of my Stanley push drill/ yankee screwdriver to allow it to be used with a wide variety of hex shank bits.

Johnny Kleso
10-21-2008, 8:18 PM
Here are pics I took today of my collection
http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/

I also have a really old Yankee No.41 what has a wooden handle and exposed spiral.. I think I paid $13 at eBay :)

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/content/bin/images/large/push_drill_9.jpg

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/content/bin/images/large/push_drill_2.jpg

OH the Black Plastic handled drill is a Yankee No.45

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2008, 8:51 PM
Thanks Johnny! It's good to know at least one guy has more of these little buggers than me. 3 is a lot more, right? RIGHT? :rolleyes:

Johnny Kleso
10-21-2008, 9:19 PM
hehehe here is one more :)

The missing Yankee No.42
The 42s spring is super hard compaired to a 41

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/pushdrill-1.jpg

This one has a twist bit lock like most of the MFs do, not a pull type..

Joe Vincent
10-21-2008, 9:23 PM
Are push drills separate but related animals to push screwdrivers? Or do some of these tools have both drilling and driving bits?

Johnny Kleso
10-21-2008, 9:33 PM
With the correct adaper you can use any Yankee screwdriver to drill..
You can also see the larger shanked Yankee bits on left that fit smaller screwdrives, they are to big for the drills.

The adapter is a barrel shaped item at bottom you yankee bits

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/pushdrill-3.jpg

These are the MFs bits and made by one of the top drill makers then and now Cleveland Twist Drill Co.
You can see the two grooves at the shank end aposed to the cross groove and end tooth of the Yankees

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/~stanleytools/pushdrill/pushdrill-2.jpg

Joe Vincent
10-21-2008, 9:53 PM
Thanks, Johnny. What would be a good Yankee model to get so I could have maximum flexibility? (Assuming, I guess, that I'd be able to obtain an adaptor.)

Johnny Kleso
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I was just surfing eBay drills and seen 3-4 drill sets with adapters two of the sets had the larger type for big screwdrivers..

Myself I like rather have a drill as its nice and small and tends to have a stiffer spring that the screwdrivers..

Plus those sets bring big $$$

I'd get a No30 screwdriver and a No41 drill with at least 8 bits and no box..
The box would cost you about $20 :)

Better yet find a Nice MFs drill and 8 bits in good condition and the No30

Most cabinet makers like the No.30 as it is not spring loaded and has less chance if bit slips out of screw it will not gouge the cabinet when spring push bit into finish..

Joe Vincent
10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Bill Houghton
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
With the correct adaper you can use any Yankee screwdriver to drill.

Technically true, but screwdrivers are designed for screwdriving and drills for drilling. Two differences: 1. A screwdriver is designed for high torque, so it turns fewer times per push than a drill, and 2. A drill rotates backward when it's returning, clearing the debris a bit, while a screwdriver (for obvious reasons) doesn't.

I've got a set of drill bits for my little Yankee screwdriver, and they're not very effective in the screwdriver for drilling, compared to a pushdrill.

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2008, 11:26 PM
35s are nice too. Smaller than the 30. I've got a 130 and a 135. I use a hex adapter in them and square drives. Haven't had a problem with slippage yet, but I am thinking about a 30 or a 35. I'd rather not make that decision after watching my driver gouge my finish...

Wallis Hampson
10-22-2008, 7:36 AM
Thanks to all who have chimed in so far. Great feedback from all. Is there not anyone making aftermarket bits for these? Seems like you could sell a few.

Gary Herrmann
10-22-2008, 8:17 AM
I haven't seen any modern versions of the MF bits, but someone (maybe even Stanley?) may still be making the yankee bits. Maybe try Garrett Wade and see if they sell the bits without the drill.

Johnny Kleso
10-22-2008, 2:15 PM
I bought from Stanley what size bits they had left (three sizes) and they where not the Yankee straight flute bits but a spiral but.. I think the lady said they where not making than any more :(

Best bet is to buy two drills almost full or full with bits..
You will not wear them out but you can break them..

David Keller NC
10-22-2008, 2:34 PM
Wallis - I don't know too much about push drills, as I prefer a small Millers Falls eggbeater drill and a set of gimlets when there's not enough space for the eggbeater. However, I'm on Garrett-Wade's mailing list, and remember seeing new push drills for sale a while back, and of course, the bits to go with them (though I think these will take standard bits). I've no idea about these particular ones, but I've never gotten anything from Garrett-Wade that was junk, either.

http://www.garrettwade.com/archimedes-screw-drills/p/88H11ddd10/

jock cameron
10-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I noticed 2 MF185A drills listed as Buy It Now items. They don't have any bits included but the seller says they will take standard Yankee notched bits. Based on what I read in this thread this would appear to be incorrect. Do you need MF bits for an MF drill or is there an adapter available that allows you to use Yankee bits?

Gary Herrmann
10-23-2008, 4:24 PM
Jock, I'm not sure about the MF 185a, but I know the MF 185 takes yankee bits. I have a couple 185s. The MF 188a takes the fluted shank bits. My 185s have an all metal body. The 188a that I've seen has a black bakelite handle with a metal shaft and cap.

I've never heard of an adapter for yankee - MF or vice versa.

Ray Sheley
10-23-2008, 4:42 PM
Jeff,
You state that the adaptor fits your stanley push drill, that isn't the 41 style is it?

I'd love to find an adaptor for the 41 type pushdrill's, but I haven't convinced myself that one of the Lee Adaptors will work in that tool.

Johnny Kleso
10-23-2008, 5:00 PM
Hey Ray,

The LV adapters
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43411,43417&p=57809

Only fit the screwdrivers,,
I have several from LV and are by far the lowest priced on the market..

You can buy the adapter and some hex shank drills...

Gary Herrmann
10-23-2008, 9:04 PM
I just looked at the two 185a auctions on the bay. They both look like they have a phillips head screw for the tab on the spring you engage to turn the handle from one bit position to the next.

Mine don't have a phillips there, so I suspect these are fixes - which is fine if they work, but for $20 with no bits? I'd pass if it were my money.

Ray Sheley
10-24-2008, 6:02 AM
Thanks Johnny,
I've got to get off my duff and order a few. I'm thinkinking that it would be nice if we could replace one of the ends on a 41 type driver with a hex adaptor for variety. Another TTD project for the future.

John Dykes
10-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Haven't really been following this thread - but over on Woodnet, someone is selling:

Yankee drill #41 in original box missing one bit.
17.00 shipped in the lower 48.

- jbd in Denver