PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Bloodwood

Lou Ferrarini
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi.

I have a project that requires bloodwood thicker than I have. What is better to glue this up with? Regular wood glue or a polyurethane adhesive?

Thanks

Brent Smith
10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Lou,

I've always gotten good results using Lee Valley's house brand glue.

Brian Kent
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I glued up a bloodwood plane with Titebond II and had no problems.

Marlin Williams
10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Titebond III also says it works on exotic wooods.

Mike Henderson
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I've used Titebond III with no problems.

Mike

Derek Hansen
10-21-2008, 2:46 PM
I've read that gorilla glue is better than yellow glue for bloodwood (due to oil content?), but I have no first-hand experience.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-21-2008, 5:48 PM
I glued up a bloodwood plane with Titebond II and had no problems.

Me too...not a problem. On the second round I used Titebond III and got the same results.

Peter Quinn
10-21-2008, 6:58 PM
Funny thing, I just gave away some blood wood today I'd been holding for a few years that was thicker than I needed!:rolleyes: I had a few 4"X4"X48" blanks I was saving for someday, though the fact is I find it painful to work with and messy to clean up after. A friend had mentioned he was looking for some blood wood for a band saw bowl project with intricate inlays, so that stock now has a good home where it will be used some day soon. It truly is better to give than receive, or at least I'd rather give away that blood wood than receive its splinters.:D

Can't help with glue suggestions as I only used it a bit for 1/8" inlay strips, think I used type II, though not in a high stress application.