PDA

View Full Version : Am I too new around here to do a new (old) tool gloat thread?

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 9:27 AM
I picked up a pair of beautifully preserved old woodworking tools this weekend from an older gentleman in a town about an hour away. Unfortunately, I can't post pics of the actual specimens, seems my digital camera has decided not to work. (Nikon :mad: - both mine and the wife's ceased to function shortly after the warranty expired, but that's another story) So, I'm reduced to posting internet stock photos. I wish that I had pictures to show you because they are in extremely good shape for their age, with just a little patina.

Anyway, I picked up a Delta Rockwell Drill press a lot like this one:

http://glennview.com/jpgs/tools/drillpress/17/big_1.jpg

It has a 1/3 h.p. replacement motor but looks to be original otherwise, runs very smoothly, with little to no rust. Nice 1/2" Jacobs chuck, an add on work light, and it even has the original chuck key, secure in its holder.

The second tool was a DeWalt MBF radial arm saw like this one:

http://edsdreamgarage.ebro2.com/edbrodyjr/DeWaltImages/P1010018_big.jpg

This thing is a real beauty - the original "seasick" green speckle paint is intact everywhere, zero rust, everything runs and articulates smoothly -locks into position with rock solid precision, and doesn't budge once it's set. It's a nice change from the Craftsman that it's replacing. (Out with the new, in with the old. :D) I could detect a little bit of wear in the carriage bearings, so I'm going to swap those out, but even that is very slight. It came with the original arbor wrenches, a 6" dado set, a sanding disk, some sanding drums, and a cool little jigsaw attachment. I don't know how useful the jigsaw would be, but I did hook it up, and it runs just fine.

Both were a little grimy when I picked them up, but an evening with WD-40, Hoppe's No. 9 solvent, 3 in one oil, and a can of top cote has them looking great. (As an aside, Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaning solvent with the abrasive side of a scrubbing sponge works great on minor surface rust - not many people think to try it on their WW tools)

I just need to build a stand for the RAS, and I'll be in business. I think that'll be the last project for the craftsman.

Oh yeah - total price, $200.

Rod Sheridan
10-21-2008, 9:29 AM
You maybe new, but you still suck!

Welcome to the creek........Rod.

Russ Hauser
10-21-2008, 9:34 AM
We'd still like to see some pics when you get the camera working.

Russ

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 9:39 AM
We'd still like to see some pics when you get the camera working.

Russ

I'm working on that. The wife's (sony) camera is working fine, so I'll see if I can't borrow that one evening this week to take some glamour shots.

Bob Ross
10-21-2008, 9:44 AM
Mike,

Just in case you didn't hear Rod:

YOU SUCK !!!!

Curt Harms
10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
There's no seniority requirements around here that I know of.
In case you missed the first two, YOU SUCK!!:D
Newer is not always better when it comes to power tools.

Congratulations on the toyls, may you enjoy them in good health.

Curt

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
No real pics, no real happen. So, officially, you don't suck until you post real actual pics....

;)

Welcome to the Creek...looks like you'll fit in real well! :D

Bill White
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
'cause you DO. Nice haul.
Bill

Lucas Bittick
10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Mike-- am I too new around here to hassle you about gloating but then not posting pics? What's with that? I want to see this patina you speak of!

That radial arm saw looks like fun. Great finds.

David G Baker
10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike,
I am curious about the Nikons that crashed after the expired warranty, what model were they. I have had the D80 on my wish list for around a year now, hope your Nikons weren't D80s or I may have to change my wish list and switch to Canon.
Guess you can tell by all the posts that we are a jealous lot here at SMC. Welcome aboard, you're gonna like it here.
Don't know about the radial arm saw but the drill press is probably better than 90% of the new ones on the market and it will do almost anything you need with a few additions.

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Mike,
I am curious about the Nikons that crashed after the expired warranty, what model were they. I have had the D80 on my wish list for around a year now, hope your Nikons weren't D80s or I may have to change my wish list and switch to Canon.
Guess you can tell by all the posts that we are a jealous lot here at SMC. Welcome aboard, you're gonna like it here.
Don't know about the radial arm saw but the drill press is probably better than 90% of the new ones on the market and it will do almost anything you need with a few additions.

They were both Nikon Coolpics cameras - low level, "snapshot" grade, pocket sized jobs. Their higher end stuff may be better, but I'm steering clear of them from now on.

They were both the same mode of failure. Put new batteries in it, but it will only power up briefly before shutting off due to "low battery." Doesn't even have enough juice to take 1 picture.

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh - and as far at the "you suck" coments - I get it. I've been lurking around here for long enough to see a few gloats. No offense taken.

Joe Vincent
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I think the old green painted DeWalt RAS's are the most beautiful power tools ever made. At least that I've ever seen.

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
On a related note, the Dewalt dado set that came with the saw appears to be exactly the same as a Shopsmith branded dado set that I also have. Not just similar - exactly the same. I laid one on top of the other, and they matched perfectly, except for the arbor hole size.

Are these things pretty much standard across the board? I thought that there would be at least some difference between the manufacturers.

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I think the old green painted DeWalt RAS's are the most beautiful power tools ever made. At least that I've ever seen.

I actually kinda like the color too. I've seen a lot of them over at OWWM that have been repainted, but the original finish doesn't look bad at all to my eye.

Lucas Bittick
10-21-2008, 1:37 PM
They were both Nikon Coolpics cameras - low level, "snapshot" grade, pocket sized jobs. Their higher end stuff may be better, but I'm steering clear of them from now on.

They were both the same mode of failure. Put new batteries in it, but it will only power up briefly before shutting off due to "low battery." Doesn't even have enough juice to take 1 picture.

Off-topic, but...

The battery is the issue. All of them have to be replaced eventually, regardless of the camera maker.

Even a top-notch SLR camera will succumb to barriers in rechargeable battery technology. If you can get more than a couple of years out of a rechargeable camera battery, you are very lucky. (This goes for laptops, too.) Their lifetimes are variable based on discharge frequency, operating temperature, etc.

Mike Hess
10-21-2008, 2:02 PM
Off-topic, but...

The battery is the issue. All of them have to be replaced eventually, regardless of the camera maker.

Even a top-notch SLR camera will succumb to barriers in rechargeable battery technology. If you can get more than a couple of years out of a rechargeable camera battery, you are very lucky. (This goes for laptops, too.) Their lifetimes are variable based on discharge frequency, operating temperature, etc.

Agreed, but both of these cameras used off the shelf AA batteries. Even with brand new ones, we got the same error.

Dave Lehnert
10-21-2008, 3:39 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Welcome to the creek

Lucas Bittick
10-21-2008, 6:25 PM
Agreed, but both of these cameras used off the shelf AA batteries. Even with brand new ones, we got the same error.

:confused: You got me...

Bob Slater
10-21-2008, 6:57 PM
Makes my new (Late 60's era) Dewalt?B&D RAS look downright homely. I am scared of it too.

John Bailey
10-21-2008, 8:00 PM
I think you're going to like the drill press, but you'll fall in love with the radial arm saw. I had one, and it's a thing of beautiful simplicity. Enjoy, and do show us some pictures.

John