PDA

View Full Version : turning tool rec's...

doug gates
10-21-2008, 7:10 AM
Well my newly reconditioned Dunlap lathe is almost ready to be on line and making chips. I've done quite a bit of metal machining but the closest our shop teacher ever let us get to a lathe was about 10 feet. Since my arms are only normal human length that served to keep me from doing any actual wood work on that tool. Is there a good turning reference book anyone can recomend? I'm also looking for turning tool recomendations. If I eclipse the purchase price of the lathe itself I'll be dealing with the Boss' wrath so please don't suggest anything too exhorbitant, if you know what I mean. We do have a Woodcraft store in the area too so feel free to tell me to go there. Thanks.

Jim Becker
10-21-2008, 7:54 AM
The Sorby tools at your local Woodcraft are just fine and reasonable priced. If you tell us "what" you intend to turn, we can make recommendations for a minimum number of tools to work with toward that end.

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2008, 8:05 AM
WC is a good choice right now. 20% of Sorby tools and 10% off Lacer skews.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2008, 8:07 AM
Doug....Welcome to the Creek!

A book I'd recommend: "Woodturning- A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. It is aimed at the beginniing turner and is well illustrated and well written IMHO.

Any of the Richard Raffin videos are good and "Turned Bowls Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine is an excellent way to learn bowl turning from the cutting and sealing the blank to the finished project.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2008, 8:46 AM
Doug - Welcome to the Creek! Jim is right - the tools you will want all depend on what type of turning you are planning to do. There are lots of tool options out there and knowing what you want to turn will sure narrow the field down!

Joe Mioux
10-21-2008, 9:04 AM
The 6 pack Sorby's are on sale at WC until the end of the month. I purchased them a few weeks ago. Original price $304.99, sale price $199.99.

Don't forget a grinder, and probably a couple grinding jigs. Wolverine jig, $80, fingernail/side grinding jig, $51 (if needed).

Chucks? WC supernova 2 is on sale $175 now $145.

I went a bit overboard this month on the lathe accessory purchases, but I figured I was going to buy them eventually, so I figured I would save a few bucks during WC's sale.

Joe

doug gates
10-21-2008, 9:10 AM
My first project is a set of legs for an island in the kitchen. I'm planning on using maple but could easily be re-directed if this is a poor choice for a first project. Our cabinets are oak but I was thinking the open grain might be tough to deal with. I was thinking my blanks would start off as 1.5" square stock. I'll probably swing by Woddcraft as I head to Home Cheapot for some other project supplies. I'll swing by the book rack and see what's there also.

Dick Latshaw
10-21-2008, 9:33 AM
I'll probably swing by Woddcraft as I head to Home Cheapot for some other project supplies.

While you're at the Borg, pick up one or a couple of 2x4 studs. Rip them in two and cut to 2 ft lengths = lots of practice material.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2008, 9:34 AM
Doug,

Maple turns wonderfully in my experience. I've got some I'm turning right now for another Creeker.

The Keith Rowley book can be bought at Amazon...new for about $9.

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2008, 9:41 AM
Welcome to SMC Doug. Lots of good info above.

Brian Brown
10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
We do have a Woodcraft store in the area too so feel free to tell me to go there. Thanks.

Just once, I wish someone would tell me to go to Woodcraft instead of where they do tell me to go! ;)

Definitely take advantage of the wood craft sale on Sorby's and Lacer skews, but be careful not to go overboard on the types of tools you get. There are a lot of specialty tools out there that people buy, and only use once. Spend money to buy a few good quality tools that work for a lot of applications, rather than buy a lot of cheap tools for a broad spectrum of speciality applications that you may never even try. I have seen a few tools that looked like they would make life easy, and when I really thought about their actual use, I wouldn't even be able to sharpen them when they got dull because they have such an odd profile. I asked an employee at a store once how do I sharpen this when it gets dull, and he said, "you don't, just dont let it get dull". Good luck, and Happy ride as you go spinning into the vortex! :)

Daniel Heine
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Doug,

I had a set of Sorby tools that came with my Palmgren lathe. About a year ago, I bought a 5 peice set of the Pinnacle turning tools from Woodcraft. They had a long handle that I feel gives me beeter control of the tool. The 5 peice set is on sale now for $86.99, and the 8 peice set for $179.99:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5238
After I bought the Pinnacle set, I sold the Sorby tools. I never liked them, the handles were much shorter than the Pinnacle, and I have never been a fan of english steel. Go to your local Woodcraft, andf take a look at what they have. Buy what you like.

Given all of the information above, you can buy an 8 peice set of Windsor Design tools from Harbor Freight for about $50.00. This was my starter set, and I still use them regularily:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066

Good Luck,
Dan

David Walser
10-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Doug,

The Sorby tools are among the best available. However, I strongly believe a new turner is well served to start out with an inexpensive set of high speed steel (HSS) tools. I say this for three reasons:

First, after you've turned a while, you'll have a better feel what types of projects you want to turn and where you want to spend your tool dollars. In the mean time, a good basic set of tools will allow you get started without too much expense. It will also give you the flexibility to sample among the great variety of turning projects. So, I think an inexpensive set is a good place to start.
Second, one of the things you need to learn as a turner is how to sharpen your own tools. While there are jigs that help with this process, it still takes time and practice (a lot of practice for most of us) to recognize what is and what is not a well sharpened edge. This is difficult because, not only does the edge need to be sharp, the tool has to be ground to the proper shape for the way you use the tool. For most of us this requires a lot of time at the grinder grinding away metal. That's easier to do with a tool that didn't cost a lot of money.
Third, a starter set is a great way to test the water. A quality starter set should set you back less than $80. That's less than you'll pay for a single name brand tool. If all you're doing is trying out woodturning as a hobby, this is a way to find out if you'll really like it before committing a lot of money.

There a several sources for a quality, yet inexpensive, starter set of tools. Harbor Freight has a couple of sets that many on the Creek started with. So does Penn State. One of the nice thing about the Penn State sets is that many come with a bowl gouge. Here's a link to Penn State: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lathe-chisel-sets.html

Here's a link to the two Harbor Freight sets that I could recommend:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066

Of the two sets, I think the dark wood handled set (#35444) is the better value (although it costs a bit more money). That set comes with larger versions of some of the tools than those in the other set. With either set, you'll need a bowl gouge for bowls.

Good luck!

Kim Ford
10-21-2008, 1:41 PM
[quote=David Walser;949828]Doug,

However, I strongly believe a new turner is well served to start out with an inexpensive set of high speed steel (HSS) tools.

I guess I weight in with the contrary opinion. David said it well for several reasons. After you have some rpm's under your belt and have ground away a lot of cheap steel you will be ready evaluate the higher priced spread with a discerning palate.

I will add one more comment though. Don't go cheap on the grinder. Woodcraft used to have an 8" slow speed (1750 rpm) for less than $100.00. IMHO well worth the money. It is really hard to learn to sharpen tools correctly on a not so hot grinder.

Good Luck and Have Fun - Safetly First

Scott Conners
10-21-2008, 1:47 PM
David W pretty much nailed what I was going to say. Get an inexpensive set of HSS tools (In a recent magazine test the HF tools had better steel than the Benjamin's Best), and learn to sharpen them. Get an 8" low speed grinder, and I personally *REALLY* recommend getting a wolverine jig with varigrind or some other jig setup - it really takes the guesswork out of learning to sharpen, so you can spend time turning instead of fixing your gouge yet again.

robert hainstock
10-21-2008, 8:23 PM
The Benjamans best tools are pretty good, and resonably priced.Since you plan to turn spindles first, get a spindle set, (8) tools. The woodcraft slow speed grinder is a very wise investment. Know that there have been some quality control issues, balance and out of round wheels mostly. But mine ran fine. unless you find something on the auction sites, chances are pretty good anything you buy will have come from China. Good luck, and remember to post pictures. the PSI grinding jig will do the same job as the Wolverine in a one shot price. :)
Bob