PDA

View Full Version : Advise on cedar shakes

Dan Mages
05-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Good morning all. I am about to build a shed in the back yard and I will be using cedar shakes on the walls and roof. I have done some research on how to shingle properly, and I have come accross several methods. One of the most prominent methods is to use furring strips to give the shakes more space to breathe. Are there any opinions on this? Is it worth the extra time, money and effort? Any other advise on cedar shakes?

Thanks!

Dan

Lee Schierer
05-21-2004, 10:53 AM
My understanding is that shakes last longer if they can dry out completely. Having air flow under them would seem to aid the drying process. I've seen programs where they applied a spun mesh material under the shingles to give an air space.

Jim Becker
05-21-2004, 11:19 AM
When we were buying this house, the inspector was doing hand-stands when he discovered that the cedar shake roof was installed over strips rather than plywood--he genuinely got excited! He indicated that they would last a lot longer installed in this traditional way as Lee mentioned. He did say that some localities "don't get it" when it comes to cedar roofs and often force builders to put them over plywood; hopefully with the mesh that Lee also mentions.

Interestingly enough, on a "dry" day, if you look up into the attic over our MBR, you can see the sky between the shakes! No leaks however...the wood expands with the wet weather.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 3:53 PM
Shakes are fire hazards in California...that said, I have them on my house but they are installed over plywood....

Dan Mages
05-21-2004, 8:00 PM
I almost forgot to share the story of my dealings with the local poliburo. The comrade inspektor called me and quized me on why this prolitarian would want to build a fully framed shed at such a "high cost" (I quoted $1800, but it will cost about $3000) when I can get a cheap metal shed for about $500. I politely informed the comrade that I have pride in my craftsmanship and I would not disgace my yard with a flimsy structure that will maybe last 10 years. The one I will be building will last longer than me, if maintained properly. He didn't care for my uppity attitude, but approved the plans.

Dan

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Dan
I am not the authority BUT to answer your question from my observations of This Old House TV show.
Black colored plastic mesh product stapled on the plywood or underlayment before the shakes are attached. - to allow shakes to breath
Angled ledger board 3/4 thick by 1-1/2 inch wide (height) by ~ feet under the bottom edge of the first row of shakes to kick out the shakes for water drips.
Intermediary board about 1/2 up the first row of shakes to support the curve of the first row.
Check out TOH website.
Daniel :rolleyes:

Michael Perata
05-23-2004, 3:41 AM
Chris

The reason the shakes are installed over ply is mainly for seismic reasons (cost is secondary, but a close second). Can't get the same shear membrane with skip sheating as you can with 1/2" plywood.

You'll also find the shakes, starting with the second course are laid UNDER the felt to give the material air.