PDA

View Full Version : Spiral/Shelix Heads

Tom Veatch
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Just mulling over the idea of a Shelix type cutter head for my Jet JJ-6CSX jointer. I've noticed comments in various posts about there no longer being a requirement for setting knives, and that raises a question in my mind.

Since there is apparently no blade height adjustments in these types of heads, I'm assuming the cutting edge height above the drum/cylinder surface is fixed and consistency between inserts in the same row and between rows is solely dependent on the precision to which the drum/cylinder is machined. Is that correct?

Secondly, if the cutter head has no blade height adjustment then cutter height relative to the outfeed table is set and adjusted only by adjusting the elevation of the outfeed table. Is that correct?

Almost everything I've read about the Shelix heads is goading me into making the transition, but $320 to $350 is a pretty big brick to pass. Don't even want to think about what it might cost for my 13" planer/moulder.

Alan Schaffter
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes

Yes

Go for it.

Tom Veatch
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Alan. Yeah, why not? It's only money.

Don Abele
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Tom, I have the same jointer and upgraded it a couple of years ago to shelix head. Why? Because we did the same to our planers at work and it was AMAZING. Since then, I have not regretted the cost one bit. It runs quieter, smoother, and gives me much better results than I ever got from the straight blades. In over two years I've not seen a decrease in performance on the knives, but when I do, it's a quick and simple fix to loosen, rotate, and tighten the inserts.

So you know, I also have a Hammer jointer/planer combo machine. I bought it for some really wide boards that I needed to face plant. I kept my 6" jointer for my daily tasks and find myself using it much more than my Hammer. The results are better and quieter.

Upgrading to a shelix head is worthwhile investment. I just wish I could get one for my Hammer.

Be well,

Doc

Jamie Baalmann
10-21-2008, 12:36 AM
What did the really wide boards do to you that made you want to face plant them:D

Neal Clayton
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Don't even want to think about what it might cost for my 13" planer/moulder.

if you have a woodmaster planer or similar the price for the 18" model is 1,000 dollars even, for the smaller ones i would say 750 range probably.

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I once inquired about a Shelix for my 16" J/P combo machine...never heard back from them. :D The Tersa blades do cut nicely and are a snap to change...and also have a fixed height.

Douglas Brummett
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Since there is apparently no blade height adjustments in these types of heads, I'm assuming the cutting edge height above the drum/cylinder surface is fixed and consistency between inserts in the same row and between rows is solely dependent on the precision to which the drum/cylinder is machined. Is that correct?

Secondly, if the cutter head has no blade height adjustment then cutter height relative to the outfeed table is set and adjusted only by adjusting the elevation of the outfeed table. Is that correct?

Machining on the head isn't going to be an issue IMO. Where you can run into issue is the interface to the machine and the tolerance stack up from the cutter to the outfeed. I got lucky with my jointer in that the outfeed is set level with the cutterhead. If for some reason the cutterhead isn't even all the way across you would then need to shim the pillow blocks to compensate. That is the only adjustment you have. If you are lucky, most are, your machine will be close enough not to need shims.

Once the cutter is installed, just set the outfeed a hair below the top-dead-center blade elevation. Then reset the infeed to the outfeed. It is much faster than individual blade setting.

Don Abele
10-21-2008, 1:48 PM
What did the really wide boards do to you that made you want to face plant them:D

LOL

It was being all warped and wouldn't do as it was told. After a few face "plants" it began to see things my way. We're best of friends now :p

Be well,

Doc

Douglas Brummett
10-23-2008, 2:55 PM
I got lucky with my jointer in that the outfeed is set level with the cutterhead.

Spoke too soon :rolleyes:
I just finished the install of my Byrd cutterhead yesterday. It did require a little bit of shim. My other 2 cutters didn't. Guess the pillow blocks I got for this one are a little bit off. I got by with just a sheet of printer paper to raise one side up about .004". You can get steel shim stock, but I didn't have any on hand.

Tom Veatch
10-23-2008, 3:49 PM
if you have a woodmaster planer or similar the price for the 18" model is 1,000 dollars even, for the smaller ones i would say 750 range probably.

It's a Jet JPM-13CS. I've queried Byrd about availability for that machine but haven't yet got a reply. In both cases, jointer and planer, if your guess is in the ballpark, the cost of the head is 80-90% of my cost for the machines new. That was a few years ago so the ratio is a little better referenced to the machine's current prices.