PDA

View Full Version : Richmond / Williamsburg VA Visit

Thomas Canfield
10-20-2008, 9:47 PM
I am going to Williamsburg Nov. 14 to 20, flying into Richmond, and was wondering if there is anything happening during that time. My wife and I have been to Williamsburg several times in the past and seen Colonial Williamsburg except for the annual changes. I know there is a good Woodcraft store in Richmond, but looking for other points of interest. Last year we caught a art show that had some local turnings.

Flying does not allow me to bring much, but I could possibly pack few pieces of small Mesquite blanks and pen blanks if someone had an interest. Drop me a private message to discuss. I enjoy seeing other shops and local work.

Andrew Derhammer
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Why not just mailing blanks home through usps/ups/fedex or which ever carrier you prefer?

Keith Christopher
10-21-2008, 7:17 AM
here ya go:

http://www.richmond.com/calendar/

jerry nazard
10-21-2008, 6:01 PM
Since you will already be in Williamsburg, I would suggest a visit to the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk. Well worth the effort!

Keith Outten
10-21-2008, 7:15 PM
Thomas,

It might help if you narrowed down your interests a bit. Are you interested in History, we have plenty of historical areas here? Are you interested in woodworking related sites, I'm afraid the pickins are very slim.

The new Monitor Ironclad exhibit at The Mariners Museum in Newport News is awesome. The new building is two story and chock full of displays and new high tech action stuff that gets visitors involved. A friend of mine was the Construction Superintendent on the project, it took two years and a lot of high tech companies were involved. The Monitors Turret is in a tank on display and there are lots of engine parts as well. Definitely worth a visit.

Thomas Canfield
10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Kieth,

The Monitor Ironclad exhibit sound interesting and I will have to check out the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk also. I am not a history buff, but do like to see some of the old equipment. I am trying to see if there are any woodworking or woodturning type activities going on that would show local work, or if there are some shops to visit. A trip to Colonial Williamsburg will be on the schedule to see what the old style wood workers are doing and new displays at the museum.

John Timberlake
10-24-2008, 9:22 PM
There is a metal working workshop at Colonial Williamsburg from November 16-19. Go to http://www.history.org/history/institute/institute_about.cfm for information. Covers metal working for the Revolution, including pouring a cannon (mortar).

Thomas Canfield
11-01-2008, 8:08 AM
John,

Thanks for the heads up on the metal working. I will try to catch some of the activities. It has been 45 years since doing casting back in college- seems almost back to revolutionary times.