PDA

View Full Version : what are my choices in basic planers.

Bob Slater
10-20-2008, 7:21 PM
Since I am rebuilding an old Beaver Jointer, I might as well have a planer to enhance my shop's capabilities. Saw the Dewalt and Rigid ones at the Borg. Any other suggestions for decent quality (Non production) planers. The salesperson said the Porter cable was the one to get, but they don't make it anymore.

scott spencer
10-20-2008, 8:41 PM
Hi Bob - The planers you mentioned are a step up from the very basic units. They have dust chutes and a mechanism for locking the cutterhead that the basic units don't have....both important features IMO.

DeWalt has two units that are worth a look - DW734 and 735, Delta has two - TP400 and 22-580, the Makita and Ridgid both get good grades too. Between those models you should be able to find a good deal on a good planer.

Bob Aquino
10-20-2008, 8:43 PM
If you are already working on an old jointer, why not keep your eyes open for an old planer too? They pop up from time to time. Some of the 12 inch models don't go for that much because of the similarity in size to the current crop of lunchboxes, but they will last for decades compared to the new stuff on sale now.

I had a 12" Delta, the 560 model. Sold it when I got a Makita 2030 combo machine about 6 months ago. Delta was OK, the refurbed Makita is very sweet. Good Luck.

Casey Gooding
10-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I've used the Delta Shopmaster, Ridgid and currently own the DeWalt DW735. I like the DeWalt best (even though it is noisy). It has quick change knives and the fan assisted chip ejector is wonderful. However, they all to fine jobs.

Bob Slater
10-21-2008, 7:02 AM
Thanks for the Info. There is a used Rigid available locally that has me interested. It is three years old. Does anyone know if the Rigid has been updated or improved recently? It seems there are quite a few Happy Rigid owners with online testimonials. I really love the old machinery too. Taking this Beaver Jointer apart has me really admiring the casting quality of these older tools. It was also made about an hour away from me (Guelph, Ont) and is a memento from a bygone era. Are there any classic, compact jointers that work well, have parts available and are easy to use that you can recommend I look out for if i don't go with a newer product?

Don Eddard
10-21-2008, 7:30 AM
The Parks 12" planer is a good classic old cast iron planer, and can sometimes be found for about the price of a new lunchbox planer or less.

Douglas Brummett
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Lunchbox style planers are a little sketchy to buy used IME. For one you aren't likely to save enough money to endure the possible headaches of a misused/abused machine. By the time you clean it up and buy a new set of blades you are out $50 + time so deduct that from any perceived savings. And if you run into anything broken or not working correctly you are in for.

A new unit is $250-550. Sunhill makes the SM346 which is very similar to the Dewalt 734, quick change knives, head lock, infeed/outfeed tables, and is about $330 delivered in the US. Most of the imports are disturbingly similar and come from very few unique origins. The Dewalt 735 is really the only one that stands head and shoulders above the rest. With the availability of a shelix head for it I would say it is the way to go. It can be had for $418 shipped off e-bay, $120 in rebate for MS cash back and you have a very good deal.

Prashun Patel
10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Here's a link to a similar discussion. There's a link in there to a review of sub $500 planers.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91880&highlight=steel+city

I (by luck) got the Dewalt 735 for cheap and it's an amazing tool. Smooth and accurate and fabulous dust collection.

A lot of users seem to really like the Delta 22-580, but the 735 usually comes out on top.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/benchtop-and-portable-tools/benchtop-planers2/

IMHO, I disagree with the snipe comment about the 735 in the above link. I've been planing with stock < 48" and I occasionally forget to support it on the outfeed and it's still so smooth, I can usually go straight to 220 gt.

PM me and I can send you a review from FWW.

Bill White
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
The old DeWalt 733 which is now the 734 (I guess). Got a lot of miles on that puppy. The 735 is sweet, but I can't justify replacement.
The real trick is setting up the planer to reduce snipe as best you can.
Pick up a used (not abused) one, get a new set of knives or sharpen the existing ones.
Bill

Nelson Bradley
10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Another vote for the Dewalt 735. I got mine NIB for $370 from HD. If you aren't in a rush to get one, you should be able to come across a good deal. Ebay with MS 30% cashback and the Ebay Fall 10% could be the way to go.

Rod Sheridan
10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Bob, I would look for a cast iron planer in the 12 to 15 inch range.

I would expect that you could find one for under $500.

I wouldn't buy a portable planer new or used, I find that they are far too loud, and most feed much slower than the stationary units. In addition, you'll only buy this machine once, it should last as long as you want to own it.

You've found yourself a classic jointer, it deserves to paired up with a stationary planer.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Parzych
10-21-2008, 1:28 PM
Bob - Ridgid has a newer version of the 1300 planer out, which has 4 threaded posts for raising/lowering the cutterhead, and the flip down infeed/outfeed shelves are beefier. Obviously these make it a better machine, but I've never had problems with the older model either.

Bob Slater
10-21-2008, 6:02 PM
Hi Bob, I would look for a cast iron planer in the 12 to 15 inch range.

I would expect that you could find one for under $500.

I wouldn't buy a portable planer new or used, I find that they are far too loud, and most feed much slower than the stationary units. In addition, you'll only buy this machine once, it should last as long as you want to own it.

You've found yourself a classic jointer, it deserves to paired up with a stationary planer.

Regards, Rod.

Hi Rod, one problem I have with the older heavier and I am assuming bulkier planers is that the is shop is rapidly running out of space. I brought my Dust collector home today with all the ducting too. Man, I am in deep now. That ducting really adds up $$. I had 1 full trailer and my car completely filled with a dust collector. When my neighbours asked what was in the trailer, I was embarrassed to say "It is a dust collector..and the trailer is full" Will keep an open though as I do find the old stuff beautiful and hard to resist.

mike hart
10-21-2008, 7:13 PM
if you go on line to wood magazine they had an article on 6" planers. the ridgid stood out as best value in the lot. i can't remember what month it was in, but i do remember the story

Mick Zelaska
10-21-2008, 7:27 PM
I have quite of few pieces of Ridgid orange equipment in my shop and can vouch for the Ridgid planer. Been using it for a couple of years and have had no issues. It came with an extra set of knives hidden under the outfeed shelf.

Mike Parzych
10-21-2008, 8:51 PM
Mick....heh...I just found those knives lately. 3 years after I got it.

Curt Harms
10-21-2008, 9:04 PM
are the Delta 22-540(pretty old) or the TP305. 2 posts and no cutterhead lock. It takes a LOT of fussing to keep the snipe within reason. The Delta 22-560 and 22-580 are much better re snipe. I had the 22-580, never used the cutterhead lock and it still didn't snipe. As others have said, if you can find an old 12" cast iron machine it would fit better with your lovely jointer. With the lunchbox machines don't try to take much of a cut in one pass. 1 or 2 millimeters is probably about right per pass, at least on wide boards.

Ross Ellis
10-21-2008, 9:18 PM
I have the Ridgid also. I bought it to keep at my house, for light duty, and for when I don't feel like driving down to the shop. It's great for what it is, but it really is a toy compared to larger/older units. I do really like the stops on the side. No guess work. Blades change out easily. Dust collection I can't say as I used it with a cheap 1hp roll around collector and it wouldn't be fair to the planar to say either way. I would recommend something larger if you plan on lots of heavy use.

Darl Bundren
10-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I have had the Ridgid for three or so years, and I like the stop feature as well.