PDA

View Full Version : Five (5) ring bandsaw blade folding?

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 3:56 PM
I've googled for a little while but can't find any tips on folding a longish (mine are 14') bandsaw blade into FIVE (5) rings.

I can do the THREE (3) ring easy as pie but have not been able to figure out how to do FIVE (5).

I was thinking one would start with the normal 3 ring fold but then somehow put another twist in there to get 5 rings. I played around last night for a good 1/2 hour but wasn't able to figure anything out. :(

All I've got is some scraped up shins and forearms for my effort! :o

Nathan Conner
10-20-2008, 4:04 PM

May sound silly, but you may want to make yourself a (or find a MUCH smaller one) practice blade. That's what I did to figure out how to fold a 3-way. I took an old 1/8" blade and ground the teeth down so I could practice without _too many_ nicks on me.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 4:10 PM
Hi Nathan,

I actually have a worn blade that I put into the recycle bin (to go out tomorrow morning!) that I will retrieve and use to practice more. I thought about that as I was writing the post so great minds think alike! Perhaps I'll stumble upon the secret ways to contortion my arms and legs to get 5 rings! :D

Mike Spanbauer
10-20-2008, 5:10 PM
Contorsionism or a zen like yoga trance is required to actually achieve this Chris and I'm afraid that those of us in high-tech are incapable of acheiving said state :)

May I ask, why you feel compelled to get it done in 5 vs. 3?

mike

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 5:15 PM
It is all a state of mind, Mike! :D

I want to learn 5 because I think it'll make cleaning my blades much easier because it will then fit into the nice little washer tub (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18197&filter=blade%20pitch) I got at Rockler. 3 is too large a diameter and I think 5 would do it.

BTW, I see that washer tub is on sale...I paid full price goshdarnitalltoheck!! :)

Daniel Thompson
10-20-2008, 5:44 PM
It is basically the same process as used for making a normal 3 ring fold, only done twice. Fold the blade into the normal 3 ring state. Then take the folded 3 rings and extend one of the rings so you end up with one large ring and 2 small ones. Make the 2 small rings as small as possible. Once you've done that, just repeat the original process.

It is easier to do with a narrow blade than a wide one so practice with a 1/4 inch or narrower one to start with.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 6:10 PM
Ah! I did the 3 ring fold and then gathered up 1 ring into a small ring and tried to get it working. I'll try this and report back how much blood I lost before nailing it...assuming I get it to work that is!

:D

Eric Larsen
10-20-2008, 6:49 PM
Is this what you want it to look like when you're done?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:lsdSbgta--oJ::collegeboatclub.com/images/Olympic%252520Rings.png

:D

I've googled for a little while but can't find any tips on folding a longish (mine are 14') bandsaw blade into FIVE (5) rings.

I can do the THREE (3) ring easy as pie but have not been able to figure out how to do FIVE (5).

I was thinking one would start with the normal 3 ring fold but then somehow put another twist in there to get 5 rings. I played around last night for a good 1/2 hour but wasn't able to figure anything out. :(

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 6:54 PM
Oh you Las Vegas, NM, guys are quite hilarious! ;)

Tom Veatch
10-20-2008, 7:00 PM
...I think 5 would do it....

It should. 14' blade in 5 circles should just fit inside a 10 3/4" limit if all circles are the same size. They won't all be exactly the same size but you ought not to have any problems fitting into a 14" diameter pan as long as you resize the original two to less than about 11-12 inches before tri-folding the remaining one.

Rick Gifford
10-20-2008, 8:49 PM
BTW, I see that washer tub is on sale...I paid full price goshdarnitalltoheck!! :)

Oh man, I hate to say this but I bought that kit when it was on sale for $14.99 a litle over a month ago! Container had a hole and Rockler replaced it no problem. The solution does a great job cleaning blades.

I think I will pay close attention to this thread, I may try your 5 fold bandsaw blade option. Be a good way to get those clean as well.

Peter Quadarella
10-20-2008, 10:55 PM
You could buy a slightly larger plastic thing instead? Might save money on bandaids :D

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Pete, that would be fine, too, but I've never seen a nice tub like this. I'll be practicing soon on my my worn out BS blade just as soon as I grind it more worn-out like! :D

Steve Clardy
10-21-2008, 1:01 PM
Hey buddy, if you were closer I could show you how.

I used to sharpen some 17's for a pallet mill when I had my sharpener.

Five ring is fairly easy. Use gloves ;)

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 3:37 PM
Hey, Bro, well do you have any advice to add to other than what's been said in this thread already???

I *always* use gloves...but I should probably not wear shorts! LOL....

Steve Clardy
10-21-2008, 4:13 PM
No short shorts for sure!!:eek::D

I'll try and draw up some pics for you.

The poster above that said to coil in the normal 3 rings, then make one of them larger is correct. Don't know if I can explain the rest of the procedure on a keyboard or not.

Daniel Thompson
10-21-2008, 4:56 PM
OK, I'll try to explain in a little more detail but it's a little like trying to explain how to tie shoelaces. Easier to demo than explain.

This is what I do (note that I'm right handed).
1. Hold the blade with the teeth pointing away from your body using your right hand at the top of the loop. Rotate your hand so the palm points foward, away from your body and your elbow is also pointing foward. it is kind of an overhand grip on the blade with your thumb on the tooth side of the blade.

2. Step on the blade with your right foot. You might consider using a piece of plywood on the floor to protect the blade teeth where you step.

3. Press down on the top of the loop as you rotate your hand clockwise (the only way you will be able to rotate it). With a little finesse the blade will collapse and fold into the normal 3 loop configuration.

4. Take the folded blade and extend one of the loops while making the other 2 shrink as much as possible.

5. Once you have the loops adjusted hold the blade as before with the 2 small loops at the top (12 o'clock position) and your foot on the bottom of the large loop.

6. Repeat step 3.

Narrow blades are pretty easy. a 1 inch Lenox Tri-Master carbide is a little more challenging.

Chris Padilla
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I did it!!

If one can do a 3-ring fold, then a 5-ring really isn't that much harder. It pretty much is as everyone in this thread described:

Do the 3-ring fold, gather up 2 rings of the blade...perform another 3-ring fold...viola: 5 rings!!

Now the folded 5 ring bandsaw blade is quite unstable (at least my 1" wide blade I did it on was) so be careful with it: get piece of wire or some tape on it.

I did this on a ~14' blade so shorter blades could be a tad more difficult although thinner blades should be much easier.

Steve Clardy
11-04-2008, 1:22 PM
How about that. :D
And I didn't have to call Ma and have her explain it to you. ;):D

Chris Padilla
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
LOL! Yes, let's not get Ma involved here, Bro! Thanks for all the help...now I can easily fit my bandsaw blades into my Rockler Cleaner Tub (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18197&filter=blade%20pitch)!

Doug Shepard
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I did it!!

Without any blood spatter on the floor too:cool:

Lee Schierer
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Now the folded 5 ring bandsaw blade is quite unstable (at least my 1" wide blade I did it on was) so be careful with it: get piece of wire or some tape on it.

I use these to secure my folded band saw blades. They come in different sizes and can be reused indefinitely unless you drop them in the saw dust. :D
http://images.cableorganizer.com/richco/twist-lock-s.jpg

Chris Padilla
11-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Without any blood spatter on the floor too:cool:

:o I cleaned things up a tad for the pics.... :p

Mike Spanbauer
11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Very nice Chris. Looks like you've got the 5 ring circu... err, blade in the bag :)

mike