PDA

View Full Version : Intarsia.........where to start?

Jim Fox
10-20-2008, 3:32 PM
Where do I start? I am looking into doing some intarsia as a gift. I imagine there are some books and websites for this, but does anyone have any recommendations they can give me?

Much Appreciated!:D

Steve Mellott
10-20-2008, 6:41 PM
Jim:

Judy Gale Roberts has been inducted into the Woodworkers Hall of Fame for her work in intarsia. Google her name and you will get a lot of information. She has authored many books and also sells patterns.

Steve

Charles Trout
10-20-2008, 8:25 PM
Intarsia is basically cutting out pieces of a pattern to fit a design, right?

What is the basic principle? I would assume if you cut thin pieces together they would naturally fit.

Rod Sheridan
10-21-2008, 8:16 AM
Intarsia is basically cutting out pieces of a pattern to fit a design, right?

What is the basic principle? I would assume if you cut thin pieces together they would naturally fit.

Charles, that's sort of like the definition of furniture making as glueing sticks of wood together like Krenov does.

Intarsia is pieces that fit together like a puzzle, however the pieces are selected for grain and colour, and are made in different thicknesses and contours to create the desired effect in the completed work.

The pieces are then finished individually before being assembled on the backing board.

Having made some intarsia pieces, they are more difficult, and time consuming than would be expected at first glance.

Judy makes some fantastic pieces.......Regards, Rod.

John Meyer
10-21-2008, 9:25 AM
Intarsia can be called art in wood when done right. It is beautiful. A couple of places to check out is the web site for Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. It is a magazine and on the web site they have some forums and included in that is a section on Intarsia. Another possibility is the MSN group that I have under this week in intarsia. I think you can check it out without joining the group, but there is lots of advice and lots of sharing on that site.
Good luck,
John