PDA

View Full Version : Freud Glue Line Rip Blade Question

Mike McCann
10-20-2008, 3:05 PM
I just used my rip blade for first time. When ripping with the blade is it supposed to leave blade marks. In the past I have used the Freud 10/40t combo blade with out leaving blade marks. I switched blades because I was ripping 1 3/4 purple heart to make cutting boards. Please let me know

thanks
Mike

Prashun Patel
10-20-2008, 3:13 PM
I'd doublecheck my alignment first.
Then I'd try slowing the feedrate down a smidge.

scott spencer
10-20-2008, 3:20 PM
I have yet to encounter any standard saw blade that leaves zero saw marks. Some are harder to detect than than others but still don't leave an edge ready for finishing. If all else is equal I'd expect your 40T to leave a fairly clean edge, possibly cleaner than the 30T GLR but that depends on alot of other factors too. The GLR's are really designed to rip 1" or less.

Mike McCann
10-20-2008, 3:26 PM
I just double checked it is not the GLR blade but the 24t heavy duty rip blade made for the thicker wood. I will try slowing down the feed because I am not seeing any noticable blade marks when using the combo blade.

glenn bradley
10-20-2008, 3:44 PM
My 24T T.K. Lietz cuts really smooth. My 24T T.K. Freud is the same by look and feel. Both will go straight to glue-up.

Clifford Mescher
10-20-2008, 3:53 PM
I know this may be an obvious question but is your blade clean? Clifford

scott spencer
10-20-2008, 4:33 PM
I just double checked it is not the GLR blade but the 24t heavy duty rip blade made for the thicker wood. I will try slowing down the feed because I am not seeing any noticable blade marks when using the combo blade.

That'll definitely leave more pronounced marks than the 40T, but as Glenn stated, should still be glueable "as is" if all is well with the wood and saw.

Mike McCann
10-20-2008, 4:41 PM
Guys thanks I will have to paly with it.

Yes the blade is clean it is brand new. I just tuned up the saw last week. I will try the slower feed to see what happens.

Bob Ross
10-20-2008, 4:42 PM
I recently used a Freud HD rip to cut 6/4 and 8/4 walnut. It left some marks that were easily removed with a card scraper or ROS.

Charles McCracken
10-21-2008, 8:17 AM
I just used my rip blade for first time. When ripping with the blade is it supposed to leave blade marks. In the past I have used the Freud 10/40t combo blade with out leaving blade marks. I switched blades because I was ripping 1 3/4 purple heart to make cutting boards. Please let me know

thanks
Mike

Mike,

Blade marks may be visible with the LM72 series rip blade but should not be pronounced enough to prevent the joint from closing tightly. Otherwise, I suggest that you check alignment, be sure to use a splitter and set the blade height so that 1/2 of the highest carbide tip is above the wood.

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I dunno if SLOWING down the feed rate using a ripping blade will help. That may just cause burning.

I've found feeding a ripping blade a little FASTER than normal seems to give the best cut. Try it and see...you might be surprised.