PDA

View Full Version : Rubber keychains?

Tor Amundson
10-20-2008, 2:54 PM
I'm trying to create custom-shaped soft keychain danglers for a local motorcycle club. The usual 'wood insert on metal keychain' won't work as a metal keychain can damage the paint on a motorcycle. Most bikers seem to prefer the bendable, soft-plastic styles instead (usually with a silkscreened logo on a custom-shaped cut).

(an example, from Google Images: http://www.ozomatli.com/ecom/ozomatli/images/Ozo_rubber_keychains.jpg )

Most of those are PVC (and thus not safe to laser-cut) but some appear to be a tougher rubber which should be laser-safe. Does anybody have a supplier who could provide it at 1/8" - 1/4" in various colors for this kind of use? Is there a better suggestion of material other than rubber?

My idea is to do custom cutouts in the shape the club requests and then silk-screen their logo atop it, single-color. While I can buy pre-cut blanks, I'd rather cut my own and offer more shapes than the precuts come in.

David Fairfield
10-20-2008, 3:00 PM
Test a sample before you buy a quantity. In my experience rubber can be a really dirty nasty smelly substance to cut in the laser. And the black sheet rubber I cut for gaskets gets a raw edge that leaves a scuff mark on everything it touches. Its OK for industrial purposes but not for anything that might come in contact with clean clothes.

Dave

I'm trying to create custom-shaped soft keychain danglers for a local motorcycle club. The usual 'wood insert on metal keychain' won't work as a metal keychain can damage the paint on a motorcycle. Most bikers seem to prefer the bendable, soft-plastic styles instead (usually with a silkscreened logo on a custom-shaped cut).

(an example, from Google Images: http://www.ozomatli.com/ecom/ozomatli/images/Ozo_rubber_keychains.jpg )

Most of those are PVC (and thus not safe to laser-cut) but some appear to be a tougher rubber which should be laser-safe. Does anybody have a supplier who could provide it at 1/8" - 1/4" in various colors for this kind of use? Is there a better suggestion of material other than rubber?

My idea is to do custom cutouts in the shape the club requests and then silk-screen their logo atop it, single-color. While I can buy pre-cut blanks, I'd rather cut my own and offer more shapes than the precuts come in.

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2008, 3:46 PM
I have cut silicone rubber a few times for gaskets but it does make a mess.

Is the "fun foam" too soft for this? The 1/4" cuts nicely. Shown blow is 1/2" but most craft places have 1/8" and 1/4".

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3156&PRODID=prd28413

Nick Napier
10-20-2008, 4:02 PM
Hello, One other solution is silicone wristband keychains. I have some already made up with a couple different messages already engraved on them....RIDE HARD...OR LIVE TO RIDE. at very good prices. If you're interested in pursuing this email me at woodworknick@yahoo.com I'll send you a picture.

Nick

Nick Napier
10-20-2008, 4:03 PM
I also have some blank ones black and red.

Nick

jeremy haneca
10-20-2008, 6:45 PM
its funny i was already looking for the same thing... to no prevail. i hope this thread come up with something....

Steve Clarkson
10-20-2008, 6:56 PM
Have you tried searching marine/boating products? I know they sell tons of the floating keychains and I bet they come in diffent types of material.

Skip Weiser
10-20-2008, 6:58 PM
Motorcycle club?

How about black leather instead of rubber?

Maybe it would be too hard to get a color contrast for any logo or text though. Can you color fill leather?

Skip

Mike Null
10-21-2008, 6:26 AM
I just made a leather key ring for my son's new bike. You can get some already made from Tropar and engrave them.

David Fairfield
10-21-2008, 9:00 AM
Leather is a good option, it doesn't smell half as bad as rubber. For color, you can rub paint into the engraving and it sticks. I use water based acrylic craft paint from the craft store. Surprisingly, it holds fast!

Dave

Tor Amundson
10-21-2008, 3:15 PM
Dave: Do you have any pics of ones you've made with that method? What do they look like after color-fill?