PDA

View Full Version : Braille font problem

Scott Shepherd
10-20-2008, 2:33 PM
Okay, here's one for those with smarts that I apparently lack today.

I've been doing braille for some time, no issues. Go to do a braille sign this afternoon and the first character is a single ball, bottom left corner of the braille grid pattern.

Normally, it's the ' key, or Alt #039.

I do that, as I have been doing for a while now, and a rectangle box comes up, like that character doesn't exist. I try again. Same thing. I remove the font, download it off the internet, install it again, reboot my computer, back into Corel, same thing.

Reboot computer. Same thing.

No caps lock on, no nothing I can see.

I can see the character in the character map, but when I type the code, it does the same thing, a rectangular box instead of an actual dot.

Anyone know how to fix this or what to look for?

Scott Shepherd
10-20-2008, 3:33 PM
Okay, more details and I need some serious computer guru help.

The special characters that do not work are all isolated to one key. It's the ' and " key, to the left of the "enter" key, also known as Alt.#039.

When I pull up any special character font, like Braille, symbols, anything other than text, if I enter Alt.#039, it brings up the block that means there is no character for that combination.

I went to another computer, same thing, so it's no isolated to one computer.

Can anyone else who's got the braille font installed verify it works for you? Can you go into braille mode, hold down Alt. and then type 039 and let off the Alt. key and see what happens.

If you get the single dot and not the rectangle, then could you please upload your braille font here for me to try?

Thanks-
Steve

Paul Brinkmeyer
10-20-2008, 6:18 PM
I do not seem to have a braille on my computer, But are using the same software on each computer? I'm sure you tried other software, but sometimes the trees hides the forest. (or is it the forest hides the trees?)

Just a thought.

I will check my other computers because I thought I had a braille font?!?!?

Darren Null
10-21-2008, 5:57 AM
You need the numberlock on for that ALT stuff to work. I hope it's that easy. Not a clue otherwise.

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2008, 1:22 PM
Okay, still haven't resolved this problem. Not sure what's caused it or how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the default for the language or keyboard or the encryption has gotten hosed up or something?

It happens across all special characters, not just braille. Anything that needs the Alt. 039 (or more specifically, the double quote/apostrophe key).

Click to enlarge:

Joe Hayes
10-23-2008, 1:15 PM
Scott can you give me the whole line you are wanting to turn to braille in regular text? If so I will try something for you.

Keith Outten
10-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Steve,

I sent you an email last night with a file attached. I hope it helps to solve the problem.

Frank Corker
10-24-2008, 5:12 PM
Hey I sent him an email too! However I'm not so sure mine will be of any use.

Scott Shepherd
10-30-2008, 1:07 PM
Alrighty then.....hopefully an update on this.

I use a braille translator to generate grade 2 braille. It has it's own directory on my computer and it's a stand alone program, which includes a braille font.

Aside from that, I have the "fonts" folder for windows. The braille font I had there was a 14K file, while the one in the translator was a 7K file.

I have had a gut feeling since this started that there was a font conflict. I deleted all fonts except the original braille 7K file that came with the translator, and I installed that font into my windows font library.

Now, everything appears to be pulling from the same font, and it's all working properly now.