PDA

View Full Version : Riving Knife Thickness

Jeremy Parkins
10-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I just picked up my Sawstop and noticed the riving knife is 2mm or .079 inches thick. I am only intend on running full kerf blades .125 and was wondering if Sawstop made a thicker riving knife or if it is even worthwhile pursuing. To me it just seems like it would be more efective if it was thicker.

Thanks
JP

Bill White
10-20-2008, 2:30 PM
Though I don't have a riving knife on my Grizz, I've been wondering about the effective thickness for splitters, riving knives, etc.
Bill

Rod Sheridan
10-20-2008, 3:02 PM
Hi Jeremy, riving knives should be thicker than the saw plate, thinner than the tooth width.

If your riving knife meets the above, you're OK, if not you need a different knife.

Regards, Rod.

Jeremy Parkins
10-20-2008, 3:21 PM
Rod-

By no means doubting you but could you elaborate a little as to why that is?

It also looks like I may look into fabbing my own thicker one out of stainless.

Thanks,
JP

Nissim Avrahami
10-20-2008, 3:30 PM
Hi Jeremy

What Rod said but "in colors"...well, black & white drawing.... :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/matsukawa/RivingKnifeD.jpg

Regards
niki

glenn bradley
10-20-2008, 3:33 PM
I would think a quick call to Steel City tech support would solve this. If you're
OK, they can explain. If you need a different splitter, they will probably send it to you.

Brad Shipton
10-20-2008, 3:43 PM
I dont know about other manuf, but I know Felder sells three diff thicknesses.

brad

Bob Ross
10-20-2008, 4:33 PM
Jeremy,

My jury's still out and I make the darn things. I have sent out about 40 Push/Pull splitters with 1/6" (.06xx) aluminum blades. I make slits on the trailing edge to bend the blade a bit thicker, but I don't know if they are being used. I have rec'd no negative feedback. I have a couple out with double ends; you flip it over when changing from thin to full kerf blades. I do not have any feedback on these yet.

Recently I've been sending out Bolt-On Ripping Knives (****S) which mimic a riving knife and are suitable for retrofit to a few saw models.
I've been fashioning these knives from .080 aluminum, again with the slits in the trailing edge.

It is my opinion that the most important roll a splitter plays is to "guard" the back of the spinning saw blade. Loose off-cuts are the leading candidates for kick backs and if the splitter blade prevents the saw blade from getting a good enough bite, it cannot launch.

I would love to hear what you find out from Steel City. I have no formal training on this subject.

Please do not solicit information regarding my products via this thread.

Mike Heidrick
10-20-2008, 4:47 PM
I know the Shark Guard splitter for the Sawstop is slightly thicker. It is what I use.

John Thompson
10-20-2008, 6:35 PM
Ditto what Rod Sheridan and Niki said even though you will find most manufacturers (especially the U.S. ones that have just added riving knives) make them so both a thin keft and full kerf will fit. One that is smaller than kerf and larger than blade body is ideal as it slightly narrows the gap that can allow a touch of the dangerous rear rising teeth.

That is ideal but... unless you grind your own you are probably going to get less than ideal from the manufacturer as they are most likely going to do one thin enough to use both TK and full kerfs as I mentioned.

BTW.. I think someone made a mental mistake on saying to call Steel City on the matter. The OP has a Saw-stop which doesn't have anything to do with what thicknesses Saw-stop has available for their saw.

Sarge..

Brian Penning
10-20-2008, 7:45 PM
As I recall Sawstop gives you directions on correctly setting up the riving knife. Basically you set it up so that it's towards the inside of the blade kerf. It doesn't really matter the thickness being thinner than the blade as long as you have it properly set up as above.

Jeremy Parkins
10-21-2008, 8:05 AM
Thanks for all the info...and Nissim thanks for the picture.

In asking Rod to explain I guess I was more interested in what the thickness of the plate had on things. I would think you needed to be slightly thinner than the teeth as that is what is going to "bite". To thick and it will bind...

I may try making my own (I have access to a metal fab shop)

Does Steel City sell a riving knife that would fit a Sawstop? I will certainly call and report back if they do.

The riving knife on my saw is set up even with the left side of the blade. This seems to be the less important side to have the tolerance close as it is not the side we worry about kickback.