PDA

View Full Version : WOW...Anyone buying one of these?

Brent Smith
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I came across this in the Dick Fine Tools catalogue. According to an internet currency converter it comes to app. $5600 in US dollars........I wonder what my home made one is worth............
http://wohngeist.ch/index.php?p=2_13_0&lang=en

Don Bullock
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
....I wonder what my home made one is worth............

Most likely a lot more than $5,600. ;):D

John Schreiber
10-20-2008, 2:07 PM
You can even buy it full of tools for about $8,500. Can you imagine doing that? Actually, I can't imagine how the pricing works, there could be $3,000 worth of tools in there, but why $5,000 for a box, even a very nice box.

Harley Reasons
10-20-2008, 2:30 PM
Hmmm, someone email them and ask that they put it on ebay buy it now so we can use the MS cashback.:D

Michael Schwartz
10-20-2008, 3:19 PM
Waste of money if your a professional.

I guess this reminds me of "Gentleman's" tool boxes of past times that would have only the finest quality tools that of course any tradesman could never afford.

Would look amazing though hanging next to the china cabinet in the dining room.

Brent Smith
10-20-2008, 3:58 PM
[quote=Michael Schwartz;949224]Waste of money if your a professional.
quote]

I don't know Michael...might be a waste of $5,000 even if you're not a professional :eek:.

Neal Clayton
10-20-2008, 4:19 PM
reminds me of those 5000 dollar snap-on chests (that wind up on craigslist for 1200 six months later of course).

Porter Bassett
10-20-2008, 4:52 PM
What's the point in having all these nice woodworking tools just to pay somebody else to build beautiful stuff out of wood for you?

Eric Larsen
10-20-2008, 5:43 PM
I see these on CL all the time -- 12 a day, all in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. Usually with a picture of Dale Ernhardt on the side.

I don't get it. What's the attraction of a $$$$ metal tool box? Is it some sort of prestige thing that I just don't understand?

reminds me of those 5000 dollar snap-on chests (that wind up on craigslist for 1200 six months later of course).

Peter Quinn
10-20-2008, 7:06 PM
I have two of those. They are fantastic.:rolleyes: Make sure to get the big one, it has room for a hose, and as you have just been hosed if you pay that much for a tool box, you will need some place to put it!:D

Seriously, what kind of a wood worker collects thousands of dollars in fine hand tools and pays another wood worker to build them an heirloom display case from wood? Do these people actually exist? i would be thoroughly embarrassed to have that item in my possession regardless of its quality.

Bravo Brent for making one. I use a $19 metal rolling mechanics tool chest from Walmart to hold my chisels, planes and layout tools. It is nearly as embarrassing as having bought the uber box but not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. Does that box come in bright red?

Keith Christopher
10-20-2008, 7:22 PM
Most amazing hanging tool chest I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_O._Studley

Mike Spanbauer
10-20-2008, 7:48 PM
Most amazing hanging tool chest I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_O._Studley

And one of the most accomplished woodworkers (rather, musical instrument repairmen) of all time.

Studley was... well, Studly :)

That chest is an inspiration for sure!

mike

Bruce Page
10-20-2008, 8:03 PM
What's the point in having all these nice woodworking tools just to pay somebody else to build beautiful stuff out of wood for you?
Good point.
The last thing I want is somebody else’s name on a tool cabinet. It’s kind of an oxymoron isn’t it?

jerry nazard
10-20-2008, 8:11 PM
I wonder if you can get them at Sears?

Jacob Reverb
10-20-2008, 8:36 PM
but why $5,000 for a box, even a very nice box.

Why, to go with your Festools, of course! :p;)

Wilbur Pan
10-20-2008, 8:44 PM
Waste of money if your a professional.

I guess this reminds me of "Gentleman's" tool boxes of past times that would have only the finest quality tools that of course any tradesman could never afford.

Would look amazing though hanging next to the china cabinet in the dining room.

Just so you know, there is at least one alternate explanation (http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=195) of the term "Gentlemens' Tools".

Doug Shepard
10-20-2008, 8:51 PM
I'm waiting for Billy Mays to scream about an identical one for 4 easy installments of $19.95 - but wait - act now and we'll throw in the tools free.

Peter Quadarella
10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I can only assume that this would be purchased by a collector, not an actual woodworker.

Porter Bassett
10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I have two of those. They are fantastic.:rolleyes: i would be thoroughly embarrassed to have that item in my possession regardless of its quality.

Not me. I'd love to own it.

I'd be terribly embarrassed if I had paid for it, though. :cool:

George Beck
10-21-2008, 8:10 AM
If we all purchase this tool cabinet it would create a tool box boom! We could finance the over valued price and take the extra risk out and sell it as some kind of credit derivative swap to a foreign country and get AIG to insure the risk. Then when the tool cabinet bubble bursts, it would be too big to fail and the US government would have to bail out the lenders in the great over valued tool cabinet crisis and forgive the debt. Then we would all have the tool cabinet. What's another billion to save the tool cabinet dream? Oh well, it was just a thought.

George

Brent Smith
10-21-2008, 9:27 AM
Just thought I'd post a pic of mine for comparison. Probably cost me a few hunfred in material and a couple of days to make. Sorry for the pic quality, but not having a camera......beggers can't be choosers....

Eric Larsen
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I know you've heard it a dozens of times, but I'll say it again -- GREAT looking shop. It would be appropriate for FWW, Shopnotes, etc. to make your tool cabinet their feature of the month.

Just thought I'd post a pic of mine for comparison. Probably cost me a few hunfred in material and a couple of days to make. Sorry for the pic quality, but not having a camera......beggers can't be choosers....

Neal Clayton
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
You can even buy it full of tools for about $8,500. Can you imagine doing that? Actually, I can't imagine how the pricing works, there could be $3,000 worth of tools in there, but why $5,000 for a box, even a very nice box.

it works like this...

"here, you can have all these tools, look at what they're worth!! all you have to do is sign here and your boss will take the monthly payments out of your check, no hassle!"

they hang around like vultures every time a fresh crop of mechanics gets hired out of the local vo/tech and convince them to sign half their salary away before they get the first paycheck.