PDA

View Full Version : Burls

Ron Hardy
10-20-2008, 9:39 AM
I have several kits from Rockler of their Ice Cream Scoops. I'll be making them for family and friends for Christmas. I know I can make them out of the traditional woods but can the handles be turned from a burl? Is a burl strong enough to handle the force and pressure from using it as a scoop?
Also I sent an email to Lee tree Works about their burl asking this same question but have never received a response back. I am aware of another business that sells burls but those are the only 2. Can recommendations be made as to where else I can get some good burls at. If I can get them from members of this forum that is fine also. Thanks for the help
Ron

Ken Fitzgerald
10-20-2008, 9:51 AM
Ron....Because of the unusual and unpredictable cross-grain situations you can have with burl, I'd be cautious about using it anywhere there is strength requried. Just my humble opinion.

robert hainstock
10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Ken has given you excellant advice. I just finished a cherry burl pen, and I have several more blanks. They ALL have to be stabilized. There are mny minute voids and breakouts. Good luck. :eek::eek::)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2008, 6:17 PM
I would watch out for burl. I made some scoops from burl. 3 to be exact. Two of the handles broke (just scooping sugar) so I made walnt handles with a 1/4" tenon and glued them to the scoops.

Michael Arruda
10-21-2008, 1:06 AM
I've not done this, so it's more a of a question than an answer- Could you drill through the blank, say 3/8" or so in diameter, through to 1/2" before you break through the end, and epoxy drill rod into the burl? That way, you can turn beautiful burl handles with no risk of breaking as the entirety of the axial load would be presented to the steel rod.

-Michael

Rasmus Petersen
10-21-2008, 3:05 AM
Depends on the burl.. I have some Robina burl itīs solid as rock. proberbly more dense than oak or walnut. but others are easy to break.

Chris Stolicky
10-21-2008, 2:57 PM
Ron....Because of the unusual and unpredictable cross-grain situations you can have with burl, I'd be cautious about using it anywhere there is strength requried. Just my humble opinion.

This may be the reason you might not be getting a response. I supposed if you stabilized it, but I'm still not sure it would hold up due to the inconsistent grain.

Ron Hardy
10-23-2008, 6:53 PM
Thanks to all who have responded. The information I got from everyone was very useful.
I decided not to go with a burl on those items at this time . I'm fairly new to turning as far as how much I have turned so I'll wait until I get more knowledgable and experienced.
Ron

Rasmus Petersen
10-24-2008, 12:40 AM
i know the feeling :-) i have a workshop more or less full of burls, and im still waiting for the skill to rise before attacking the larger picese... (have som large burls)