PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber and HPDFO on ULS

David Dustin
10-20-2008, 8:41 AM
I have researched some of the other Carbon Fiber threads here but didn't see any reference to using the HPDFO lens (High Density Optics for ULS) for cutting.

The biggest problem I could see would be keeping the beam in focus.

As far as no contrast in the mark, we could fill it right?

We had a request to mark and possibly cut on Carbon Fiber.

Thanks,
David

Mike Mackenzie
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
David,

Sorry to say you will not be able to cut the carbon fiber. If you are able to cut very thin stuff it won't be pretty. Marking it will work we have done that we did not use the hpdfo just the standard lens.

David Dustin
10-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Mike,
That is what I thought might be the case.
Thanks for the info.

David

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
There is a carbon fiber "look" acrylic available which could possibly work in some applications. It does engrave and cut like any other acrylic but is made like mirror, with image on the back and the clear over it. I have only seen it in 1/8". You can also get carbon fiber-look vinyl film that can be applied to a laserable material then be engraved and cut, but it's vinyl and may contain PVC.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=351&

http://www.averygraphics.com/pls/avery/avery_ext_products.series_detail?p_site_name=SIGNA GE&p_product_series_id=1038

David Dustin
10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Joe,
Thanks for the info.
This was for Carbon Fiber Prosthetic Limbs, so I think it is the real deal.

David

Brian Robison
10-20-2008, 1:38 PM
David, I've engraved CF but it is really hard to cut.
I think I have a sample on my website. Engraving it leaves a very interesting "ghost" graphic. It can be colorfilled.

Joe, what kind of vinyl film is the one that can be stretched easily like they do car wraps with?
Can you ball park how much it costs?

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2008, 2:30 PM
Any cast vinyl film can be stretched and applied to compound curves with some hear from a heat gun or torch. Don't try it with calendered, that will get thinner and lose it's color saturation when stretched. The best for that is the newer type with the air-egress channels like Avery MPI Easy Apply RS which is made for large format printing and available only in white.

Others make s similar product in colors, like Oracal 870 which is repositionable
until you hit it with 40 lbs of squeegie pressure to break the microencapsulated solvent based adhesive. Last time I used one of these it was about $80 wholesale for 10 yards of 24". Some local suppliers will cut to the length you want and charge by the yard.