PDA

View Full Version : Lathe speed question

Eben Fourie
10-20-2008, 7:49 AM
Greetings,

I am using a mini metal lathe to turn wood spacers for fly rod reel seats.

Metal lathe because I need precise dimentions, consistent along the length of the spacer + I do not own a wood lathe :)

The size of the blank is typically 40mm x 40mm. 10mm hole drilled in the center, secured on 10mm threadbar with washers and nuts. Threadbar held in chuck and live center (center drilled the threadbar on one end).

The final OD I want to end up with is typically in the 10mm to 14mm range.

What speed to you recommend I start roughing down the blank ? Currently using a standard set of cutter tips, but also willing to grind some from tool blanks. I understand that it also depends on the particular timber, looking for some general advice pls. Lathe speed range from 150 to 3000 rpm.

Wilbur Pan
10-20-2008, 9:19 AM
10mm hole drilled in the center....

The final OD I want to end up with is typically in the 10mm to 14mm range.

Boy, those are going to be thin, especially the ones with the 10mm OD. ;)

To answer your question, if I'm roughing down 40mm square blanks to round, I can usually do this at a speed of 800-1000 RPM or so, but that's using a skew chisel. I don't know if your typical metal cutting type setup will behave the same way. In terms of safety, though, I feel really comfortable with that speed.

In general, if you are at any given speed, and you feel nervous, slow it down.

Paul Engle
10-20-2008, 9:47 AM
As fast as your lathe with spin. I have done a couple spindle jobs using my Hardinge tool makers compound on the wood lathe and the best way is fast, creep up on the final under size (say .005" )and make a couple passes in and out at each .001" and they will come out dead on. I have to manual feed but with the lead screw you should have no problem , just change gear to the lowest feed rate you have. I try to turn at 3000 rpm when doing finish and have no need to sand, I use brown paper bag to polish / burnish . be sure to seal them with an oil to get protection.

Eben Fourie
10-20-2008, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Wilbur, well spotted ;) Will change to 8mm hole and threadbar for 10mm OD. Just had a look at ID specs for spacer again. 10.7mm to 10.9mm, so yup, will be a bit on the thin side.